Finally APR TDI Tune ... we shall see

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportswagen TDI
So Jeff you just got your Malone tune?
Yes I did, just got back from a spirited drive up the canyon. Completely woke the car up. Can't give you a figure on mpg but I'm driving to Fresno, CA next week and so we'll see how it does @75 for 12 hours straight.

You don't think about all the little quirks like the engine stutter and the sluggish lower rpm pull until you have it flashed. Pulling from 3rd/4th gear really gets your heart rate pounding.

I left the stock catback exhaust on after the midpipe and it sounds factory unless you are really going hard on it. Can't even tell it's changed besides the cool turbo whistle at idle.

Audi Juice

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
So I got my APR tune wiped off my ecu and I am back to stock. Dealer is processing my refund and I am now in the market for a new tune.

It was a noticeable difference having the APR file on the car, but just wasn't all that impressive. Who knows, I may be less satisfied with the next ecu flash that I receive, just not sure. That's the problem I guess. I feel that since these cars are "economy" cars, the vast majority of people who buy these will never seek out performance modifications. That being said, it is extremely difficult to make a decision on which Tuner to go with, since there is a limited amount of information available. Not many people have had the opportunity to sample APR, HPA, Unitronics, Malone, and Revo on the same vehicle. I m doubting anybody has. It's more or less a crap shoot and I wasnt entirely happy with my first role of the dice.

I have the HPA DSG reflashing tool headed my way this week, and once the tranny is set up with the Stage 2 software, it will at least hold me over while I get a chance to research what my best bet is. At this point in time, i think I may just go Malone Stage 2. I really have no clue. Might start another thread searching for answers, but like I said above, I think its just a crap shoot. After all, how much different can these various tunes be? I probably would have stuck it out with APR if their tech support gave me a definitive on when their Stage 2 software might be released. Oh well!

Last edited:

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Malone is the one I'm talking about. Even for a stage one people have noticed a significant difference...Stage 2 is not comparable in this instance since APR is only Stg 1.

APR is a good company, I just know that they seem to be conservative with their tunes.
So what does malone stage 2 do to your car and how about the price? Just curious.

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
So what does malone stage 2 do to your car and how about the price? Just curious.
Malone stage 2 gives you more power. You can do this with out modifying the exhaust but you will not see as big of gains. If you do a straight pipe exhaust(can't mention what you would delete;)) it will really be a noticeable difference. Ask me how I know!

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Malone stage 2 gives you more power. You can do this with out modifying the exhaust but you will not see as big of gains. If you do a straight pipe exhaust(can't mention what you would delete;)) it will really be a noticeable difference. Ask me how I know!
Ditto! Loving my Malone Stage 2 and "custom" exhaust work.

MBQ

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4Dr DSG
Ditto! Loving my Malone Stage 2 and "custom" exhaust work.
How much power and torque did you gain comparing to stage 1? Did you go directly to stage 2 or is it after stage 1? Is there noticeable smoking after the exhaust work? What are the costs? Forgive my nosiness but I really want to know:D

Jeffbucc

Veteran Member
TDI
How much power and torque did you gain comparing to stage 1? Did you go directly to stage 2 or is it after stage 1? Is there noticeable smoking after the exhaust work? What are the costs? Forgive my nosiness but I really want to know:D
Malone quotes it at 184hp and 333ft/tq. I went directly to stage 2 from stock. So the difference was quite big for me. It smokes a little on start-up, but mostly due to the engine still being cold. You can definitely smell the exhaust a lot more so than before, doesn't bother me though, can only smell it on start-up. It only smokes while driving when you are going full throttle, at least that is the only time my buddies have noticed it.
Costs for a full build are roughly 1600-2200 depending on if you do the work yourself or if you get a shop to install it. I picked up my downpipe and midpipe from a guy on here who purchased it and decided not to install it for very very cheap so the whole package only cost me 1600.
If you enjoy your car now, just wait until you first push the throttle down after a stage 2 Malone tune...it will put a smile on your face every time you get in your car.
I can't imagine not having it now. Mark took care of me too, send my ECU to him on a Tuesday and got it back on Friday good to go.

Enjoy:D

RPS99SHO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Everything Jeff said is spot-on. I went straight from stock also. Just so you know, this WILL NOT turn your TDI into a dragster, but it is still a fun ride. Oh and if you're anywhere near MD/PA/WV you can use the shop that I did and have it all done for $1500 out the door. www.dieseldubs.com

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I had an APR tune done several weeks ago. About 500 miles after I got a P2459 code (engine light). There are 2500 miles are on the vehicle in total. From what I understand there is a clogged particulet filter. My mpg dropped off to 25 mpg on the last tank and this was 50/50 city/highway driving. I don't claim to even be mechanically inclined. From doing research I think my car ran to rich and this caused the problem. From the seat of my pants dyno there was not anything near the gains they claimed. APR removed the tune and refunded the money without any issues. They told me this is a common problem on all diesels even without the flash.

The APR dealer did not even address the issue. They told me to go back to the VW dealership to either clean or replace the particulet filter. I read the filters clean themselves out when the get hot. The APR dealer turned off the engine light and I brought it back to the dealership. I told the dealership to check the car because it seemed that it was down on power.

The car checked out fine and is OK and for now. I have had all types of performance and non performance cars. I have a good idea what to expect.

The charge for the flash was $699 including the labor for the removal of the ECU. The APR dealer tried to charge me $149 in addition for the back-to-stock mode. He explained to me that was applicable because I had a different number on my ECU and that sale had ended. He handed me a bill for $923.26 including tax. He ended up giving me a $163 credit after showing him APR’s website with the proper pricing.

I’m very disappointed!

LOLZZZ!!
i guess they had to clear the fault code when reflashing the system. It would have been better to have the code stored in there and taken it to the dealer so that they have a log on when your DPF failed. I would bet that the DPF fault code will come back, unless it was an error on APR's part with the tuning issue. But hey at least its under warranty still so if it does happen no biggie. suprised that the dealer didnt check soot levels, DPF clogged numbers, or when last regen was preformed though. ohh well.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
APR is great don't get me wrong, ran their tune on my stage 2 mk4 gti for a long time with zero issues; I got confirmation that they wouldn't support any custom files for DPF modifications at Waterfest this year along with Revo for the north american TDI models if anyone cared about that tidbit of information.

klrman

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Street Edition
Just had the APR Stage 1 "Fully Loaded" flash installed yesterday. So far, I am quite pleased. With the hammer down, the car is noticeably stronger and feels like it keeps pulling hard higher into the RPMs. Driving normally, it feels just lighter on it's feet, so to speak. Overall, it feels comparable to how my 2003 GTI 1.8t drove. My AVG MPGs on my morning commute was 40 on the MFD, which is on the high end of what I usually see (37-41). I am having no DSG issues with the tune; car is shifting great except for the usual DSG lag when starting from a stop or transitioning from closed to open throttle (DSG has the updated VW firmware). My installer (Further Performance in MPLS, MN) recommended avoiding the anti-theft and code-delete options, so I did not get those installed.

slowcaddydan

TDI
1982 Caddy 1.9TD, 2003 Mk4 Golf ALH
My installer (Further Performance in MPLS, MN) recommended avoiding the anti-theft and code-delete options, so I did not get those installed.
Did your installer tell you WHY you should avoid these options? APR Stage 1 with these options worked great on my Mk5 GTI but I know the TDI's a different kind of animal. :cool:

Bob Sacamano

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Did your installer tell you WHY you should avoid these options? APR Stage 1 with these options worked great on my Mk5 GTI but I know the TDI's a different kind of animal. :cool:

My installer said the same thing to me, but i had him do it anyway.

Their reasoning was that a lot of people will forget their four digit code.

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
There is no rocketchip listed for a 2012 Jetta TDI Nor is there a dealer located across the street. Okay he does do the MKVI TDI but I can only mail him the ECU.

Last edited:

WindsorFox

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
Well, I can't say I'm overwhelmingly thrilled, but over all it has made a difference. I'm not sure if it takes time for all the stuff in the computer to adjust or if it took some time for me to notice it but it's not a drastic change like the programmer I used on the Titan. The program on it was a lot less refined and changed a lot of things not really available on a Diesel. I find it much easier to leave from a stop, I have still actually killed it a time or two from a stop even after 5 months. I also find the amount of power felt when the turbo really kicks in is noticeable. This weekend after I'm used to it I'll switch to the stack tune and see if I'm amazed.

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
Well, I can't say I'm overwhelmingly thrilled, but over all it has made a difference. I'm not sure if it takes time for all the stuff in the computer to adjust or if it took some time for me to notice it but it's not a drastic change like the programmer I used on the Titan. The program on it was a lot less refined and changed a lot of things not really available on a Diesel. I find it much easier to leave from a stop, I have still actually killed it a time or two from a stop even after 5 months. I also find the amount of power felt when the turbo really kicks in is noticeable. This weekend after I'm used to it I'll switch to the stack tune and see if I'm amazed.
Keep us posted !!