New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
When people say that they need their SUV's for interior room, this Scoda demonstrates that it is indeed possible to have tons of space out back~! That's huge!

sengert

lack of wagon makes me sad...

Nooooooooo....sob.....sob...... I'm doomed to buy a gasser if this is true. I can only hold off so long......and have been pushing the envelope in recent months.
OOOOOOH!!! Totally agree and completely saddened by this VW decision...

The JSW just won't work for my family size wise, and to boot, it's IMHO pretty ugly. I also don't want a Chrysler, ohp, I mean a Routan as it is too big and not efficient. The Passat wagon was my leading choice but now they aren't going to bring it any more... :(

My point of view is that VERY few makers actually put out the 'ole family wagon (especially in this size and value!) and that the wagon is a legitimate and desirable alternative to both the SUV and the mini-van. In addition with VW's lofty goal for sales increases, why would you remove models from your mix? I'd think they'd be adding models like crazy... i.e. Polo, Sharan, Amarok, Sciroco, etc.

In the meantime for this year, I continue to face an older Volvo wagon with no real replacement on the horizon... **sigh**

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
The problem is that VW doesn't want to allocate the money to certify and maintain a bunch of niche models that don't sell, and they assume that they can get the buyers of those models into other models that they sell.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
IT kills me....in England right now...VW tdis everywhere.......and I get a peugeot rental...

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
OOOOOOH!!!

My point of view is that VERY few makers actually put out the 'ole family wagon (especially in this size and value!) and that the wagon is a legitimate and desirable alternative to both the SUV and the mini-van.

=QUOTE]

Isn't this why the car manufacturer's have been developing "crossover" SUV's? They are smaller than the big tank and not a minivan...

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Saw a taurus wagon on the way home from work today. Made me think about all of the other wagons that are no longer out there. I was happy that VW decided to update the Jetta and offer a TDI. I love the room for hauling crap and being able to pull a trailer.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I loved the room of my ol 960 wagon, 6 feet long 4 feet wide completly flat with the rear seats down, with tons of height. It was a cave!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Look at the leg room in that thing!......nice!

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Nope.

American Passat has a 2803 mm wheelbase, Skoda Superb has a 2761 mm wheelbase, and for good measure, the Euro Passat has a 2709 mm wheelbase. (While I'm at it, the Mk6 Jetta has a 2650 mm wheelbase, and the Mk6 Golf is 2578 mm.)

Volkstraktor

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat
As seen from The Left Coast

Since I have the dubious honor of owning a B5.5TDI and
have had to pay handsomely to keep it on the road, my
view of VW might be a little less generous than many.
The American Market will likely embrace the car, which
is good for us overall, and a TDI version is certainly a
smart thing (hopefully).
As for me personally, my first impression is that it looks
like the LoveChild of an Impala and a last generation
Optima. Hopefully some of the descriptive phraseology
that I saw on one of the sites is NOT prime-time ready.
A "Cornsilk Beige" interior? Really? On a VW? Yes,
it will be an American car. I only hope that VW will
build it like the Kia and not the Chevy...
Having said all this, I am CAUTIOUSLY optimistic.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I went with the anthricite interior on my JSW aince I had the beige interior on my beetle. As easy as the beige was to stain and as hard as it was to get clean, I was not going to get a car with an even lighter colored interior.

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
I can't wait to see results of road testing on that new Passat. Hopefully it will handle like a VW ant not like a Camry. If it's the case it could replace the excellent B4. Next step will be to replace the CC by an electric car before gas price hits $2.50 a liter...

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I can't wait to see results of road testing on that new Passat. Hopefully it will handle like a VW ant not like a Camry. If it's the case it could replace the excellent B4. Next step will be to replace the CC by an electric car before gas price hits $2.50 a liter...
I'd be interested in the B4 and I'm local to you. ;)

Ralphy

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI sedan, 1997, silver, ABS
I'll let you know if I go ahead. I do not have emotional attachement to material in general, but for this car it's a bit different.

Abismo

TDI
WRX :)
According to Dan Neil from the Wall Street Journal this morning, he thinks that VW's comments about being #1 worldwide and selling 800K units in North America is a minefield. He thought the new Passat felt like a car that would sell for $8000 less. "The styling is inert, virtually invisable. VW calls the new American Passat "accessible". I think patronizing is more like it."

Seems that he was totally unimpressed with the North American retooling.
If he thought a vw felt cheap god I would hate to see his reviews of subarus :)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
P.S. A manual transmission is a built-in theft deterrent device! :eek: So few thieves can now drive them; so few people want them (harder to get rid of vs. automatics).

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
An interesting and good point.

My GTI has a DSG and I admit that I do like it. It does shift smoothly and very fast. (DSG was my wife's choice...the GTI was to replace her old car, so....)

But most vehicles I've driven have been manuals...including my TDI. And I would never say that they are obsolete technology.

I just feel like I have more control with a manual (and that's because I do)...plus I get a better feel for the car.

And lets not forget that manuals are much cheaper and easier to maintain...and generally more reliable and longer lasting....and lighter. And until very recently they also gave better fuel economy than you could get with an auto....and even that is still debatable. And of course...fun to drive.

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
A bit strange, but everytime I rent or drive an automatic, I find myself critiqueing the shift points. As in I push the gas a little bit to speed up, and it downshifts. Hey, why did you do that? I just needed a little more speed!

No matter how zippy the tranny controller, it will always shift differently than I would. And that is a source of annoyance. My problem, not the car, understood.

An automatic can not see the road ahead. It only knows what is going on at the moment, and decides based on that. A driver with a manual will be able to factor the road ahead into shift decisions.

I will say, my ex-gf's volvo shifted very nice. Rarely annoyed by that car.

Autoboxes are getting better. But stick shifts for me. That's what I want.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
A bit strange, but everytime I rent or drive an automatic, I find myself critiqueing the shift points. As in I push the gas a little bit to speed up, and it downshifts. Hey, why did you do that? I just needed a little more speed!

No matter how zippy the tranny controller, it will always shift differently than I would. And that is a source of annoyance. My problem, not the car, understood.

An automatic can not see the road ahead. It only knows what is going on at the moment, and decides based on that. A driver with a manual will be able to factor the road ahead into shift decisions.
That's the main reason I use the Tiptronic function so often. Yeah, a manual would have more fun factor, but the auto does relieve some work during heavy traffic.

Living on a fairly steep hill, I'm still on my original front brake pads at 85k, which I'm sure is because I put the tip in third down the hill and rarely touch the brake pedal until I reach the bottom. Since this new Passat will come both ways, I'll have to make a decision. However, until VW announces their packages and option list, I don't know if I'll have a choice if I want a loaded model. Many times the higher level packages only come with the auto. Oh well, at least with the TDI it will be the DSG.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
If it's anything like the Jetta, the TDI will be in SE trim (and the one at the auto show was in SEL trim,) with some options made standard, and some stuff from the SEL available.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
If it's anything like the Jetta, the TDI will be in SE trim (and the one at the auto show was in SEL trim,) with some options made standard, and some stuff from the SEL available.
The way they are wording their press releases (for whatever that's worth :rolleyes:) it sounds like all three trim levels will have the engine choices, although I don't believe you'll be able to get a VR6 in S trim! It's also the show photos that have both the SE and TDI emblems on the trunk, which makes me believe (or hope!) that the TDI will come in S, SE and SEL flavors. That will (perhaps) satisify the people that want a basic level TDI as well as people like me the want all the bells and whistles.

I'm hoping I'm not just being naive. :eek: