leaky injector pump -- harmful?

sameoldmike

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
The injection pump in my 1998 VW Jetta TDI (272k miles) is leaking moderately and the car has somewhat low power. I am not sure if I can get away with having someone reseal the pump or if I need to get one that's been re-manufactured. I am hoping to see a local TDI guru tonight, but he won't be able to do anything for my car for a couple weeks I am afraid. I am most concerned about further damaging the pump by driving while it leaks. The smell is obvious while driving on diesel. Is it better to leave the car alone until the pump is re-sealed or re-manufactured? What harm can come from driving around with a leaking pump? Mike Baltimore

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Your problems are that the pump will eventually lose prime after sitting or not be able to start due to sucking air instead of fuel, and that the leaking fuel is landing on your rubber coolant hoses underneith the pump. Rubber and diesel fuel don't mix, the hoses will soften, swell and just fall apart. I have a new rebuilt pump available.

sameoldmike

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Jetta TDI
Well, air in the lines doesn't sound as bad as making the pump eventually fail. What is the price for the new pump? I have heard that re-manufactured pumps for this car are ~$1000. Mike

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
sameoldmike said:
The smell is obvious while driving on diesel.
If you're driving the car on WVO, don't bother rebuilding the IP. Just reseal it. The WVO will do in the IP soon enough, requiring a rebuild or more likely a new IP. DFIS doesn't like rebuilding WVO IPs.

Unless the engine goes first..........

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Remanufactured pumps are ~$1000 IF you have a good core, if you're running WVO then your core 75% of the time is toast. Pumps for the A3/B4 are getting extremely hard to come by too.

Occasionally they are rebuildable though...

Good luck, how many miles on grease?

-BB

jettasmoke

TDI
Jetta 98
if it leaks..IT will leak on the timing belt, I know because it cost me a new head and 1500 bucks later... the belt is rubber and diesel will drip on it and then it will stretch it out over time and bang your in deep crap.. Not fun having your belt slip on the freeway at 80mph..get it fixed and please check your timing belt or just change it out after the leak is fixed

jettasmoke

TDI
Jetta 98
oh and you can reseal the pump you can buy a seal kit for it. most of the time its the upper top seal.. it was not that hard to change out...just mark every thing x2 :)

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The OP doesn't state that it car runs VO. The comment about "while driving on diesel" might be in reference to biodiesel...

The "Y" coolant hose is under the fuel pump. This rubber component is not resistant to fuel oil (diesel, biodiesel or VO) and will soften from continued exposure to drips from above. It is hidden and not likely to be noticed until it bursts through a weak wall due to pressure from hot coolant within.

The cam timing belt is a little bit better protected from most fuel pump leaks unless the fuel pump shaft seal is also leaking. Remove the upper cover and inspect the fuel pump drive sprocket. If you see dark goopy radiating streaks on the sprocket then the shaft seal and cam timing belt should be replaced.