First TDI Drive!!

Golffan

I finally got to drive a 98' TDI Golf GL 2 door. I was very reluctant about issues of smoke, noise, and power. I can honestly say these fears were quickly put to rest when I started the car and noticed how quite and smoke/fume free these things really are. If you read this page and dream of TDI's Go drive one!!!! I was impressed by the power as well, very smooth and strong all the way to 80 mph! The turbo is bearly noticable and power delivery is excellent. Even for a modest GL with 28k+ miles on the odometer there were no rattles or squeaks. I'm VERY impressed with this machine. Soon I'll start hunting down a 2001 Golf 4dr GLS and most important make it a TDI!!!!!!!
What a great machine!

By the way is the Turbo covered under the 2yr 24k mile warrenty or the 10 yr 100k warrenty???????????

HI BYRON H. Thanks for the ride!!!!!!

------------------
VW Golfs rule!!!

Bayou_Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 4Door 6M
Hi Steve,
Welcome to the sickness! After getting you hooked on Fred's, I knew you would enjoy the test drive. BTW, it was a 99 Golf IV GL just to clear things up. Maybe when we run into each another, we'll both have TDIs! I'm outta OKC this weekend, but I'll stop in to see you and the gang of misfits in May.

------------------
"When in Oklahoma, do as the Okies do!"

M

mickey

The turbo warranty issue is kind of a gray area. The turbo isn't specifically mentioned as part of the powertrain warranty coverage, but the "manifolds" are. And, on North American A4 TDIs, the exhaust manifold and turbine housing are cast as a single piece. There have been a few mentions of dealers replacing the turbos after the basic 24K warranty is up.

-mickey

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
How cool is this? We have a MR_BURNS and a Smithers.

"Smithers, who is that man?"
"Why that's Homer Simpson, sir ... from sector 7G."

Just a recommendation to anyone who is reading the forums who is interested in getting a TDI, but has not yet driven one... go to your local VW dealer... and test drive one! You'll be hooked for life! They're great cars. I'll never buy another gas car again... unless it's REALLY special... like a 1959 Cadillac Coupe DeVille. Giddiup!

But then again, who said that you can't put a diesel in a Caddy?

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9T Manual

chopchop

Top Post Dawg
Turbo Warranty -
Since the turbo represents a key element in providing the power, any suggestion that it isn't covered by something described by the manufacturer as a "Powertrain Warranty" is farcical and wouldn't in my opinion stand up in a Court of Law.
Since any form of misuse would, however, normally void the warranty, certainly in respect of components related to a failed item, the manufacturer could try to claim misuse as a get-out. In the case of a turbo, presumably the handbook warns against sudden engine shutdown immediately after high revs, and this could be a point of argument. Difficult to prove such misuse, though!

[This message has been edited by Richard P (edited November 09, 2000).]