New Turbo shaft play

Montrealer

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Hi,

I just purchased a new stock BorgWarner turbo to replace the one in my 2011 TDI because it started doing that infamous siren sound and the impeller got damaged from rubbing on the housing.

I am concerned about this new turbo because it seems to have just as much, if not more play than my old one.

Here is a video that shows the shaft play on both turbos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78Kw8SvMQ8k&feature=em-upload_owner

I know there is supposed to be some shaft play but this is somewhat unsettling and I would hate to have to pull the turbo out again...

Thanks

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Looks normal to me... The shaft will always have radial play like that when there's no pressurized oil filling up the bearing. Appears from your video the wheel is not able to contact the housing. Seems about the same as any other new turbo I've come across.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I know there is supposed to be play in it when the oil is not pressurized from the oil pump but this is WAY too much. not one turbo i have in my garage has this much in it. should be no side to side but maybe some front to back. Who did you buy that from? autozone? the turbo with the most play in it that i have is the one that came off my ahu and it still has almost no side to side. Either this is normal for this turbo for some reason or its defective and if its normal i would love to know why because that aint right!

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Looks normal to me... The shaft will always have radial play like that when there's no pressurized oil filling up the bearing. Appears from your video the wheel is not able to contact the housing. Seems about the same as any other new turbo I've come across.

Yup, my brand new bv43 had a fair amount of radial/ side to side play right out of the box.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Wow. That looks like 40 or 50 thousandths. Hard to believe that's normal.

If you turn it at its extreme in any direction does it rub?

It's not oil pressure that centers it. It's the spinning shaft and the film of oil. Hydrodynamics and all that.

Montrealer

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Thx for the replies and feedback everyone!

From what I was able to gather from all my searches is the shaft play should be between .2 to .5 mm (.01 to .02 inches) and I was not able to confirm if this was specific to this model turbo. I dont own a dial indicator but I would guestimate it look like aI have at least .70 ish mm of play. This being said, from what I can tell, the blades are not touching the housing when I turn the blades. Nonetheless I am looking at the old turbo with less shaft play and its impeller blade is all chewed up.

I am still not sure whether or not I should go through the trouble of installing this unit or simply returning/exchanging it. Any additional input would be greatly appreciated!

Thx

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Used turbos typically have far less play than new ones as they usually have some coked up oil in their bearings.

The play in your video is the same as the brand new GTB1756VK I just installed a couple months ago. As long as there's no axial play you're good to go.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
Axial (in and out) play is bad. A tiny tiny bit that's barely perceptible is ok... I think the play numbers listed above are really for axial.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Looks just like my brand new bv43a and the good condition bv43b it replaced. I think the Borg Warner turbos have more play at rest than Garrett and most other turbos. I'd install it.

Montrealer

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
I just rechecked the front to back shaft play and its quite neglectable. It might even just be some of the radial play that im feeling so I think I am good on that account.

Looks like I will install it next weekend.

Thanks everyone for your input!