Mazda TDI :D

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
Well, after much thought, I think I'm gonna pump the brakes on a new car and wait till the end of the year for a mazda diesel... the 2.2 looks to be a great one and I need something in a compact suv that can tow. Spoke to carhelp Canada today (who are great btw..) and I won't be heading down the gas route or to the Mitsubishi diesel eclipse cross... the equinox doesn't have the power with that 1.6 diesel either so... the waiting game begins...

Anyone else considering a mazda ?

Cheers gents.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Where did you drive a Equinox with a diesel to decide it didn't have enough power?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The mazda diesel has been vaporware in N. America for sooooooo long. Hope it works out for you.

Assuming the engine actually arrives, the biggest issue I would have concern over is rust. Whole lotta rotten 3's and 6's less than 10y old running down the road these days.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The mazda diesel has been vaporware in N. America for sooooooo long. Hope it works out for you.

Assuming the engine actually arrives, the biggest issue I would have concern over is rust. Whole lotta rotten 3's and 6's less than 10y old running down the road these days.
Yup, I agree on both.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
I haven't seen any rust on mazdas from 2009 and on, but, doesn't mean it can't appear. Otherwise yea, good luck with getting a diesel mazda, it's been coming to north america since 2013

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Where did you drive a Equinox with a diesel to decide it didn't have enough power?
Dad bought a 2017 cruze diesel auto.I test drove it and was fairly impressed.Having drove some pretty quick/fast diesel's myself it takes a little more than the ordinary to impress me.

Also aftermarket EFI live tuning is already in progress for the 1.6 much like the 2.0 cruze with deletes and what not.

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
In all fairness, I'm only talking about power on paper... I plan on towing a fair bit so, I would prefer more power but I will be test driving the Equinox as soon as a dealership has one.. I'm starting to broaden my horizons vehicle wise so, there is a possibility or a Canyon or Colorado diesel... but the audio system sucks compared to my Fender :( Sound is trivial to some but important to me so, my decision is not gonna be an easy one..

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
Dad bought a 2017 cruze diesel auto.I test drove it and was fairly impressed.Having drove some pretty quick/fast diesel's myself it takes a little more than the ordinary to impress me.

Also aftermarket EFI live tuning is already in progress for the 1.6 much like the 2.0 cruze with deletes and what not.
Oh i know your history Andy ;)

Love my Colorado and seriously thinking about a Equinox for Lindsay, want to drive one first

Djphonics

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
I got to drive the mazda6 with a diesel a few years back. Mazda brought a couple here as test mules. I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was smooth and quiet. At idle it was hard to distinguish between the gas and diesel powered units. I preferred the 6d to the Passat, but the Passat on hand was gas. I can't recall the engine in it. With that said, if Mazda brings the diesel out, expect a very good product with Mazda's general zoom zoom implementation.

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Still waiting, they haven't even put the 2018 CX-5 on there website yet.

Might be a good sign. Dotting their i's and crossing their t's.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Mazda Diesel, probably like the Honda Diesel someone posted about four years ago.:rolleyes: None to be seen yet!

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Just saw a Jaguar XE on the road with the 2.0l diesel in it. Might not be a bad option in a couple years. In the past Jaguars typically take a pretty big hit in the resale market.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Just saw a Jaguar XE on the road with the 2.0l diesel in it. Might not be a bad option in a couple years. In the past Jaguars typically take a pretty big hit in the resale market.
If only they came with 3 pedals here in North America...

Steve140

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 & 2011 Golf TDIs
Interesting that other companies are coming out with diesel models while last time I was in the VW stealership they said they will never sell diesels again. A Honda diesel would be nice though!

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Interesting that other companies are coming out with diesel models while last time I was in the VW stealership they said they will never sell diesels again. A Honda diesel would be nice though!
Who else is coming out with diesels? There has been lots of vaporware in the last 10 years from most of the manufacturers and hardly any actually showed up in the showrooms.