328d xDrive wagon reviews

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
I have a B4V and a 2008 GMC duramax, so I like diesels.

Have been looking at the 328d wagon, because they look really nice! but, I can't find reviews and wondering why they depreciate so much from the new sticker price. And why would someone buy new only to trade it in when it has less than 70,000 miles.
All cars have issues, I worked things out with my B4v, grant it is old. So, with a BMW is it also hard to find a good reasonable trusted mech.?

Have more questions, but this sums it up.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I think the huge depreciation is generally because BMW leases a lot of vehicles. When they come off lease they are sold for cheap. I got my 328d (sedan) for $25k with 28k miles after it came off lease. New sticker price for it would have been around $45k.

Also, I think very few of these cars actually sell at sticker price (don't know this for sure), but who would buy a brand spanking new 328d wagon for $55k+? That's a big price tag for not so much car.

Finding a good BMW mechanic is not that difficult, finding a diesel BMW mechanic is harder, but still not impossible. Another reason for used cars selling for less is that maintenance costs are definitely higher than most other brands. As you car gets up above 100k miles I would count on some high price parts and maintenance.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Price Marks?

Are the maintenance price marks for VW the same for BMW? I don't know. Which is the reason why there is hesitation for spending$ on a wagon BMW Diesel. Although I do covet the looks and the fact that it is a diesel. + when my wife will be done with it, can be my work wagon!

Love my my B4V. And I have spent $ on her. But love my wagon 5spd diesel + it is old and hardly any VA car tax.

Thanks, jnecr

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Are the maintenance price marks for VW the same for BMW? I don't know. Which is the reason why there is hesitation for spending$ on a wagon BMW Diesel. Although I do covet the looks and the fact that it is a diesel. + when my wife will be done with it, can be my work wagon!

Love my my B4V. And I have spent $ on her. But love my wagon 5spd diesel + it is old and hardly any VA car tax.

Thanks, jnecr
I think you'll find that common wear items are going to be 2-3x the cost of the same parts on a B4. Look how much bigger the brakes are on the 328d vs the B4 for instance.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Have been looking at the 328d wagon, because they look really nice! but, I can't find reviews and wondering why they depreciate so much from the new sticker price.
Probably in part because they were waaaay too stupidly expensive when new, at least in these parts (Canada). I see very few 3-series wagons on the road. The X1 compact SUV (E84, longitudinal engine) was way less expensive, so people bought those instead.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
I think that I will need to drive one first.

Not in a hurry as I need to sell a spec. home and our personal plantation in town. + need to build our personal house, which I may start the "garage" (with living space) first.

Been eyeballing these wagons for a while and really like the looks! just the $ and the need of $, drags things.

Thanks guys for your replies! I knew I could get help here!

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Maintenance items on BMW's are certainly more than VW, not 3x - 4x more than a current VW, but probably over your B4, yes.
Also, check into transfer case issues with all 3-series xDrives. The transfer case seems to be very picky with regards to having all four tires having the exact same rolling diameter. There are numerous transfer case failures noted on forums and that is a $4k-$5k parts to have swapped. However, one guy did it himself and has a DIY on how to service the transfer case.

turborod

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI Sport Wagon
I bought my 2014 lease return 328d, sport, sound, appearance, pano roof packages w 14k miles about a year and a half ago. My pump went out like right after. My TDI sport wagon was as this is replaced free and I have almost 85k miles on it trouble free knock on wood etc.... still on its original brakes. I do my oil changes at 7-9k miles to save the sequential dual turbos. I have to get at least 175k out of those. I listened to the euro threads saying the SW TDIs could go up to 15k between oil changes. Needed one at 105k and one at 225k miles. With more frequent oil changes could of extended life on those I think. Engine ran fine at 250k at the buyback. I project struts, front bushings at 100k, pulleys and belts at 125k.
I'm on my second set of Pirelli's and haven't done the the trans fluid yet much like my old SW. The handling is amazing (hence the front bushings).
Mileage is close to 40 mpg but I drive very spirited
At this time I have seen these go for about $25k now but not with all my extra packages
They only made about 5000 of these Xdrive sport wagons in the last 3 years.
I have seen them only in very short flashes on the new BMW tv commercials
At this point in my life it's the perfect car for me. I have to learn how to slow down. Haha. Talked my way out of a ticket a few days ago and the officer didn't show at the court a few months ago, etc..........

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
The E90 335D had actual dual turbos; but the 14+ 328D has a single, sequential port turbo making it "TwinPower"

It isn't actually two turbos. ;)

EDIT: Sorry; had the page open to edit for too long, jnecr snuck in while I was doing work :p

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It's a single "twin-scroll" turbo in the 328d. The whole Twin-power is just marketing...
Pretty effective marketing I'd say. Who doesn't want twin turbos? :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
All "luxury" cars depreciate quickly. Just look at what an Audi A8 or S-Class Mercedes costs after they are out of warranty. Repair costs are part of the issue.

As an example, when I bought my '11 335d with 48K on it, it needed an adblue tank, which costs about $1,800 retail. An NMS VW Passat tank is about $500. It also needed two NOX sensors. Those cost a little over $100 each for a VW, on the BMW they're $640 each. I was lucky as the selling dealer was paying for those items as part of the deal.

Anyone coming from a B4 into a 328d is going to have maintenance sticker shock, no question.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
jncer,

For the transfer case, will it keep on failing? Is there a permanent fix?

I don't know.. :) I don't have an xdrive car, so I only follow the problem loosely. Some people have gone through 3 transfer cases in ~80k miles and others don't have any problems at all. I think it must be something to do with conditions rather a bad batch of parts.

It is not widespread enough for BMW to do anything about it, so in reality it's probably not that big of an issue. It's just the one that I hear about the most and also makes me glad that I don't have an xdrive car.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sedans can be purchased in RWD, wagons are AWD only. Another member here had the transfer case replaced under extended warranty on his wife's 328d. About 70K on the car I believe. Close to a $10K repair, parts and labor.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Wow

Sedans can be purchased in RWD, wagons are AWD only. Another member here had the transfer case replaced under extended warranty on his wife's 328d. About 70K on the car I believe. Close to a $10K repair, parts and labor.

Thanks for the info. Won't be interested in the 328d wagon now.

Now off to another wagon. Any input on the Volvo V60?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
A friend of mine has a Volvo V60 T6 (which is also all wheel drive). As far as I know, it has been fine. If you're looking for a diesel (as evidenced by the 328d questions) that isn't it. If you will accept something non-diesel then you have a few other choices - including VW's own TSI models. If you can accept a crossover then you have tons of choices.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Epa

A friend of mine has a Volvo V60 T6 (which is also all wheel drive). As far as I know, it has been fine. If you're looking for a diesel (as evidenced by the 328d questions) that isn't it. If you will accept something non-diesel then you have a few other choices - including VW's own TSI models. If you can accept a crossover then you have tons of choices.

I am thinking that the EPA is making me choose outside the diesel wagon!
Crazy thing is, I will be building a house for a customer who works for the EPA! he works In DC. And Yes, he is antigovernment.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
If you can hold out a few more months the CX-5 diesel should be available soon. It isn't a wagon (Crossover SUV) but everything I've seen on it says it will be a pretty solid vehicle. Good handling, solid fuel economy, decent power, etc.

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Golf Wagon

Why are you avoiding the VW buyback's? Plenty of low mile 2015 Golf Wagons available.
Agreed,

Golfwagon is most likely the better option! whether it be a 2015 TDI or a new Alltrack.

Don't think the V60 will have enough space, based on what I have read. Our Honda Fit has more leg room at the back! Reason I don't like the Fit is because of the small tank! If Honda had a Fit wagon with a 18 gal. tank- I would be all over that! Love my B4v, but my wife will not get into it! Because of how old it is.

I really did like the luxurious looks of a BMW Wagon diesel, but man! with the help of you all, not even a good thought or idea. Glad that there is more than TDI help, on this site!

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I think your only solution is to buy the 328dxT with an extra warranty and drive happy. :)