BC/WA '04/'05 Passat BHW Balance Shaft Repair

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
This thread is to discuss the local options for repairing the B5.5 Passat Balance Shaft. This syndrome is well documented in the B5.5 forum.

Similar to the Ontario guys discussion thread, I'd like to start one for British Columbia and Washington State people to discuss who has done this repair and which shops have experience or are proficient at it.

In the metro Vancouver area I called every dealership and spoke with the service managers there. NONE really had any experience or real knowledge of the situation. However, the one in Langley did claim to have done one (though I don't know if it was a gear or chain replacement.) They also claimed there was a TSB.

Has anyone done this repair yet?
Where did you go to get it done?
How much did you pay?

Lets discuss, thanks

Ericlester

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS
I am having mine done by Rich at Fix um Haus in Portland. But i think if you just buy your parts from worldimpex.com and you have a proficient TDI mechanic, with the print up that is available... then you would be fine going to your mechanic in BC. I have an 05 Passat wagon. Do your timing belt at the same time.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks Ericlester. Can you post more info when you get it done? Cost/time etc if you are willing to do so.

Will your B5.5 TDI be the first BS repair at Fix Um Haus?

Ericlester

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS
Will do, Cam and lifters will be done with timing belt as well, it was 1350 for the kit, and i think rich said it'll be ballpark 2500 for labor and remaining parts. Im taking it in week of the 22nd. Check back at the end of the week for details.

Ericlester

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS
Its just what is prescribed by Rich, he says its not worth the risk, but he tries to get people to do it on all TDI's, i think.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
They are already in there. So the labor cost to do it while it's apart will be less. Plus if they open it up and the cam is perfect and you decide to leave it in, that will make the bill less. Rather than tell you one price only to pull the valve cover and see a toasted cam, which would mean your bill is going up.
It basically prepares you for the "worst case" situation. These engines are very unforgiving.

O.C.

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Its funny though, because the passat 2.0 TDI haven't reported any cam wear problems while the 1.9's sometimes have problems.

We are talking about passats here, to be clear, seeing as the 1.9's don't have balance shaft modules.

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
RIght, thanks, just wanted to make sure we are on the same page.

Again, BC/WA/OR residents, report your repairs here please.

Ericlester

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GLS
Ended up being about 2600 in parts plus labor, but rich gave me a great deal. Parts include BS replacement module, bolts, lifters, belts, cam being shipped off and machined, etc. etc. ton of work done, pain in the ass to do. Not sure if it was the first Fix Um did. Oh another note the car had 160K.