TDI Jetta coolant connector

fastcash43

TDI
1.9 Jetta 028-906-021-AHU.lbl
Hi folks, while I wait for my replacement coolant hoses which blew out from a dripping diesel from a leaky ip I thought I would post a pic and ask a question. I want to make room to approach a stripped injector pump head torx bolt straight on so I don't screw the job up. I need to remove the coolant connector in the circled area. It looks like 2 bolts. Is there anything I should be concerned with here? Does it just bolt right off ? Are there parts I'll need to replace (o-rings, gaskets) if I take this off ? Thanks for any comments / advice you can share.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Buy a new one before you remove the old one. Also get a new O ring. Yes, it just unbolts from the head.

I'd also suggest working on the IP with it off of the car. Others say you can do the job without too much trouble on the car, but I really like working on it on the bench instead. It's not much more work to pull the pump off the car.

-J

fastcash43

TDI
thanks compu, It's a mater of confidence for me. At some point I'll tackle a timing belt/water pump/proper belt tension, change out, but I'm still learning the basics and don't want to get too far over my head just yet. This is a great site here and I appreciate all the comments/advice you guys take the time to share.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
IMHO there's less chance for error pulling the pump off of the car. Proper belt tension is easy on the TDI, just line up the 2 marks on the tensioner :)

-J

fastcash43

TDI
thanks compu, keep in mind this is like easing a crazy man off the edge of a cliff here in terms of confidence that I can take that next little step to safety :eek:)

fastcash43

TDI
I removed the flange? and noticed the o-ring is too soft and needs to be replace just as compu suggested. Does anyone know if this o-ring can be matched up at a pepboys or autozone kind of place ? Or is this a special order import type sizing on these ?

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I would replace the plastic fitting. Purchase it along with the proper o-ring from one of our trusted vendors. These plastic fittings can be brittle and it is best to replace when you have it off anyway.

fastcash43

TDI
Thanks schultp, I'll do that, let me look around this site for a list of vendors, hopefully someone local to my area.