Oil filter housing leaking.

Helven Ink

Veteran Member
TDI
99 VW New Beetle 5-speed, manual
allright, so I noticed a little while ago that there was oil dripping from the bottom of my oil filter housing. That kinda cube shaped dealy with the big black plastic hex bolt thing on the bottom of it.
Could someone tell me what size that hex bolt is? and if there is a conveniant tool I could use to tighten properly without taking off the entire housing?
I have a 99 Beetle, and an A/C hose is the way, and I'd really rather not have to disconnect that either. :p

I need to stop thinking that my car is fixed... as soon as I do, things start falling apart. I thought all I had to do was replace my injector nozzles, but no... I have to replace my injector nozzles, my cat. converter was clogged, my oil filter housing is leaking all over the place and it would seem that my brand new intercooler has cracked. (though I'm not sure if it's the IC or one of the pipes connecting to it, but I have no boost) Would a cracked IC cause I high-pitched whistleing noise that sounds like it's coming from the turbo? my turbo seems to be fine, but...
:p I'm starting to wonder if maybe my car doesn't like me... ;)

P.S. aside from my question about the oil filter housing bolt dealy, I'm just ranting... it makes me feel better...kind of.:rolleyes:

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
that cube shaped looking thingy on the bottom of the oil filter housing is the oil cooler.and if it's leaking take it off and replace the seals on the top and bottom of it.the bottom cap has if i remember correctly about an 1 1/4 hex on it,but because of that hose it is hell to get a wrench on it to loosen and tighten it but i got it.if you could find a really shallow socket you might be able to get it on and then use a swivel on it.or if you can't find a socket go buy a cheap one and take a hacksaw to it and make a shallow one.mine on my jetta just up and started leaking one day and if it wasn't for me being forgetful i probably would have run it low or possibly out of oil.backed out of the garage one day and forgot some stuff i needed for the day and walked back in the garage and there was a pretty good sized puddle on the floor so i go pop the hood and see the oil spewing out between the filter housing and the top of the oil cooler.when i changed em both seals were hard as a rock and i could see on the top one where it blew out.the top one is kindof chessy as on the top of the cooler it has a circle of little pins,the seal sets on the outside of the pins and the seal has 2 small holes on little tabs that you hook over 2 of the pins.the bottom one is just like a spin-on filter seal as it just sets in a groove in that black cap.

Helven Ink

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Cat, Just knowing that someone else managed to change it without taking the entire unit off, makes the whole thing seem like less of a pain. =)
1 1/4... I think I can find that.

Syndicate

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Q7 TDI Sline, 09 335d
Helven Ink said:
have to disconnect that either. :p
V-dubs are a love / hate relationship. However money can usually patch the party for bit :D

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
it'a 32mm nut. also extract all the oil from it from above first unless you like a huge mess. Plus you need a bottle of brake cleaner to make sure it's clean FIRST or you're in do-do when you put it back together and sand or whatever gets in there.

better change it. these can't wait......I have a car here with a blown engine from this seal going.

Helven Ink

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm gonna fix it pretty soon, there's not a particular rush at the moment as I can't drive my car until I get my turbo fixed and reinstalled anyway.

fastfhiveoh

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I was able to get a socket on mine and just tighten it up. I had to wedge a block of wood between the cooler and the engine block to keep the cooler from turning, but otherwise it was pretty simple. Just a socket on an extention. I had to use my 1/2 inch drive to get some real torque on it. No leaks and it's been over 3000 miles.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Well...it may hold for a while but there is a reason the torque setting is 33ftlbs. You run the risk of blowing it out othrwise. The seals as only $12 at the dealer.