Need help: timing belt install

travist185

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI
Ok this is a 2003 Jetta wagon 5 speed. This is my third time doing a timing belt. I have replaced the components and belt and I tried to turn the motor over by hand to check static timing and it won’t go.

I am using a long reach cam lock tool so I dont have the valve cover off. I was able to lock the cam and pin the pump before even removing the old belt. I moved the flywheel a few degrees at most to line up the timing marks and put the crank lock on. Loosened the cam pulley and IP pulley, put the belt on, set the tensioner and tightened the cam pulley then IP pulley. Checked cam, still locked, pump still pinned, flywheel marks still line up. Remove locks and pin and try to turn it over by hand and I only get 10-15 degrees of rotation before it feels like it locks up.

I put the cam lock and IP pin back in and everything lines right back up no problem.

What is going on? What should I check? I need to get this then done tomorrow so any help is appreciated.
Thanks

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Based on what you are saying it ought to be lined up and not bind when turning the crank bolt.

If you go in reverse, how many degrees do you get before it binds? I would turn it slowly.

travist185

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI
I am turning the crank bolt 19mm. I tried turning the motor counterclockwise as well and it binds up the same way after a similar amount of rotation.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Since you've changed timing belts before, you know how much resistance the injection pump offers when turning the crank. My suggestion is that perhaps it is time to pull the valve cover to ensure that the cam is indeed correctly oriented.

Good luck,

PH

travist185

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI
I took the valve cover off and the cam lobes are up on cylinder 1 which is correct I believe. I am going to take the timing belt off and make sure all pulleys and the water pump are spinning free.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
did you do any other work while the timing belt system was being replaced? did you scrape out the intake gunk any with the intake installed?

is it a solid stop or just a hey this feels tight?

travist185

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI
Ok got it figured out. The replacement IP pulley bolts were just a little too long. It was not allowing the IP turn as it bound up behind the pulley. Thanks for the emotional support guys!

travist185

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon TDI
I meant no offense by my prior statement. I can see how that might have come across as offensive and I apologize.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Ok got it figured out. The replacement IP pulley bolts were just a little too long. It was not allowing the IP turn as it bound up behind the pulley. Thanks for the emotional support guys!
Where did you get the parts?

I meant no offense by my prior statement. I can see how that might have come across as offensive and I apologize.
None taken. Not even close.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yeah, none taken here either!

I was just amazed that the bolts were too long! Hmmm... Sometimes those simple things can bring any of us to our knees with no exceptions!