Looking for Auxiliary Heater Guru - 06 Jetta

bwilliams60

TDI
2009 Jetta
Hey guys, newb here. I have an unusual thread that I am hoping someone with lots of knowledge can help me out with. I have an 06 Jetta TDI and Ia m building a simulator to test auxiliary air heaters on. I am close to having it running but I am missing a couple values and not sure where they come from on the car. The first one is the max heat value. It is the Climatic system and I know when you turn it to max heat, if all other parameters are met, the heater should turn on. I am not seeing this value change on VCDS. The other one I am looking for is the source of Terminal 30 voltage. I know it is battery voltage but what do I need to duplicate this signal? Is it from the ECM or another module found on the bus? Any help is appreciated, I know this one isn't for everybody. Just need one person with the answers. Cheers

hd7993

TDI
TDI
what type of heater is it? did allot of work on webasto dieselburners, but not sure if perhaps you mean electical heater?

is it smth you want to run stand allone outside car?

as for terminal 30, it should not mather where from you take it, as 30 long as its battery power.
about your missing signal from max heat, it should be possible to find out if you describe a little more what car and what type of heater it is etc.

bwilliams60

TDI
2009 Jetta
This is a stand alone test bench. It is the electrical air heater that was put in for cold start on diesels. The webasto is a water heater.
when I look at the measuring blocks for 7D, I can see a block for Terminal 30 and it shows no voltage. I have everything, power, ground, comm, etc hooked up to ECM and I can see it and talk to it. I have the gateway, Climatic control, ECM, heater and datalink connector all connected. Not sure what it is looking for as far as Terminal 30 and I cant seem to get the signal I need for Max heat.
Not sure what information you need about the car itself?

hd7993

TDI
TDI
Ok i understand. dont know to much about those unfrotunately..

just a shoot in the dark.. but when wather heaters is used as aux heater only (not parking heater) you need outside temperature sensor to read below a certain point of degrees for it to start.

i dismantle a complete dash a while ago, and seems to remember there is a few rather thick cables who run to the heather with 30 and 31?

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
The Z-35 aux heater is turned on when the heat control is at least at the detent and the coolant temp is below a specific value. The aux heater will turn off by the time the engine reaches operating temperature. I've seen it in measuring blocks. Try unplugging the coolant temp sensor which would simulate something like -40F as far as the ECU knows.

Isn't terminal 30 a 100 Amp fuse wired directly to the hot battery bus bar and always hot at the Z-35 controller that's part of the Z-35 element assembly.? Mostly if something is called terminal anything, it is not a signal, just plain old power. Pretty sure power is switched on and off at the Z-35 controller.

Could you expand on what you mean by "Max Temp Value"? Do you mean max temp of the element or max temp for a specific command from the ECU?

If you don't have a wiring diagram, I could go find my Bentley's.

Last edited: