Engine won't crank/start

faTDi

TDI
2005 B5.5 GLS Variant
90,000 miles on this cherry wagon and headed out for a 600 mile trip the other day when it would not restart after running 40 miles. Had lights/power but the starter will not turn at all.
With no time to spare to make the event, I had it towed to a shop that works on a few VW's and took the toyota up the cross country.
4 days later the car starts as normal and the shop put in a new battery, which was definitely due, and called it good. Wife drove it 3 miles to the store and once again it would not crank. I r/r the positive battery terminal and she starts right up.
I'm thinking this shop needs all the help they can get so if these symptoms sound familiar I'd appreciate any pointers. It would be great if this was simple; she LOVES this car.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Any scans taken?

Other items could be ignition switch, transmission selector switch either in car or on transmission.

faTDi

TDI
2005 B5.5 GLS Variant
Thanks for the replies, ya'll. The battery was replaced after the first incidence.
Should hear what the scan reveals this morning.
My intuition, for what that's worth, goes toward those switches vwztips. Thanks!

faTDi

TDI
2005 B5.5 GLS Variant
Turned out to be the Park/Neutral safety switch.

Thanks for the attention and responses.