www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014)

VW MKVI-A6 Golf family including Jetta SportWagen (~ 2010-2014) Discussions area for A6/MkVI (2010-2014) Golf and Golf Wagons (Jetta Sportwagon in the USA).

Old March 24th, 2016, 18:19   #391
johngfc

Id Parts now has SUPLEX rear towing springs, at least for JSW, $169/pr at http://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-re...a5-p-5084.html

Are you recommending Tiguan rear shocks (rather than JSW) to avoid topping out? I presume the Tig shocks will also be stiffer.
johngfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 18:23   #392
Carphuntin_god
Veteran Member

you'd have to talke to a JSW owner to see if they top out... Golfs DO top out with JSW rears. the tig suplex rears i got seemed to work with the golf STR.T shocks i used. But with the JSW rears, I had to use Tig rears to not top out
Old March 24th, 2016, 19:09   #393
johngfc

Thanks! I really appreciate your willingness to try things out, see how they work, and help the rest of us figure it out.
johngfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2016, 20:06   #394
unorganizedplan
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngfc View Post
Id Parts now has SUPLEX rear towing springs, at least for JSW, $169/pr at http://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-re...a5-p-5084.html

Are you recommending Tiguan rear shocks (rather than JSW) to avoid topping out? I presume the Tig shocks will also be stiffer.
firstly - holy smokes, nice post to summarize pretty much the entire thread!

if we assume the SUPLEX towing springs are the same specs as the VW towing springs, then the stock rear shocks are fine. I have had no issues topping them out. Maybe a good highway dip at speed would do it, but no problems for me day to day. I have a little additional weight, but nothing major. A CURT hitch, and an INNO cargo box that both remain on the car full time.
I have VCDS
unorganizedplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 06:41   #395
n1d0n
Veteran Member

Good morning everyone..

I wanted to also give a little update/review on this as I did this I think in November 2015 and now that winter is finally almost over I just bought some new summer tires.

I had bought the tiguan front spring from IDparts and I made my own lift in the back but it's the same as if I had bought the towing spring.. I got 2.5" of lift in the back.

My winter tires were 215/65r16 and I have studs and I can say that I don't think I could fit a bigger tire.. I think that for people that wants to know what is the limit before the tire rubs.. I think that for a winter tire 215/65r16 with studs is pretty much the max.. maybe something a little bit bigger would be ok.. but I don't want to be responsible if someone buys a tire bigger and it doesn't fit.. ahah

the ride all winter was the same as when it was stock.. I thought that it would be not as good but overall I couldn't notice too much difference except that I did not plow any street this winter with my front bumper.. the thing that I did notice is that if you go over a speed bump FAST it will (bottom out(I think is the right term)) so this is something to keep in mind.. so my suggestion would be to get other shocks if this becomes an issue for someone.

2 days ago I bought new summer tires to go on my 17" mag.
I got some 215/60r17 tires and although they were .2" bigger than my winter tires I was confident that they would not rub.. and they don't but it's close.. I went over speed bumps and tried while turning and all and they do not rub but wow is it close. so again my suggestion for a 17" tire would be 215/60r17.

Also so far I haven't noticed any decrease in fuel economy.. it's weird but I can even probably say that it went up since I did this.. maybe because the RPM's are lower.. but I also had a revise stage 2 tune from Malone this winter so this might have some effect as well.

Anyway here are the specs for both tires.
Winter tires 215/65r16
Diameter 27
Width 8.46
Sidewall 5.5
Circumference 84.8

Summer Tire Champiro VP1 215/60r17
Diameter 27.2
Width 8.46
Sidewall 5.08
Circumference 85.3

I am pretty sure that it's not related but I thought I would mention it.. I had a big clunk every time I went over any bumps or rugged road.. my front sway bar links were shot already.. I have 69000km on the car.. so I put some moog links on the car and they have a lifetime warranty on them and they are greasable.. like it should..

now there is no more noise at all..

Here is a picture with the new tires.

Last edited by n1d0n; April 1st, 2016 at 06:48.
n1d0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 06:56   #396
GaryWagner

TDI(s): Golf Wagon

I have a 2010 Golf Wagon (Canadian JSW). I had a rear spring break last year and I replaced them with OEM Towing Springs (1K0511115CT). A couple weeks ago a front spring broke so I replaced those with front Tiguan Springs, part number 5N0411105T (actually Bilstein 36-233694). Basically the same parts as the IDParts lift.

So far it has only been a couple of days but I'm very happy with the results. I haven't been back for an alignment yet, I think it's off very slightly, but it rides great and I've had no issues topping out yet. I'm using stock shocks/struts.

The front wheel well is now 27.5" - lift of ~1.5"
The rear wheel well is now 28" - lift of +2"

Here are some after pictures, on stock tires and rims.

GaryWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2016, 08:53   #397
FordGuy100
Veteran Member

Those of you with lifts and DSG's, how does that combo work out for you? Larger tires are going to put more stress on the drivetrain, I just want to know how the DSG reacts to it.
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:43   #398
relegate

I ordered the lift kit from idparts today. My car is currently lowered with Neuspeed sports and, while fine in California, it's just been absolutely hammered in Pennsylvania. I have a dedicated sports car now, which I didn't in 2014 when I got this, so I am going the utility route, but I want to keep the Crossover theme, not the pretend FWD off roader (yet). I mountain bike and some of the parking lots have left some metal and plastic behind.

I am thinking of re-shoeing my 18x8" wheels with some 235/50/18 DSW06's that seem to get awesome ratings. They currently have 225/40 S-04 Potenza Max Perf Summers and I probably want a better all-arounder.

My issue with the DSG is the gearing... I have a Malone Stage 2, and if it's slightly damp the front gets NO traction with the stock conti's, the S_04s are better but worn out as well. The Bilstein HD's on the right side are also blown. It will spin 1-3 and in the wet it sometimes spins in unexpected places (corners, etc, the usual).

I ordered the springs and opted for the STR.T Koni Oranges which ID said will be great with the new springs (I had the struts already as I was planning on replacing the Bilsteins).

I'll let you know if the DSG gets pissy but I wouldn't think so, and I also don't think the ESP will . I know the speedo will be off a bit as well... If it all sucks, I can got right back to the 225/45/17's that came stock.
Old June 26th, 2016, 13:20   #399
drade

TDI(s): 1.9tdi mk5

I've read that a few guys have been experiencing clunks, maybe this could solve someone's problem as they claim it is a cure for the common knocking issue from the Golf Mk5, Jetta and VW Passat:

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.u...-platform.html

its rather cheap and simple so its probably worth a shot.
BTW I've bought a couple of things from these guys, they were helpful and everything went smoothly.
drade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2016, 21:33   #400
ATR
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drade View Post
I've read that a few guys have been experiencing clunks, maybe this could solve someone's problem as they claim it is a cure for the common knocking issue from the Golf Mk5, Jetta and VW Passat:

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.u...-platform.html

its rather cheap and simple so its probably worth a shot.
BTW I've bought a couple of things from these guys, they were helpful and everything went smoothly.
Exactly what ECS has as well:
https://www.ecstuning.com/News/MKV_S...cer/ES2102460/

The best kit so far that I've seen (while pricey) is the Tyrolsport Deadset Subframe Collar Kit:
http://www.tyrolsport.com/suspension...d-mk2-audi-tt/

Read a few reviews on that kit and it sppears to really fix many of the areas that have play in them between the car and the subframe.

***Official maintenance schedule for your VW [PDFs inside]***
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2016, 16:12   #401
drade

After quite a few months of reading up on how to lift my Golf MK5 the time has finally come to decide as my suspension is pretty near its end. Since I will be replacing the shocks and struts as well as the springs I was thinking of buying oem fwd tig shocks, struts and springs. At some point, when they are done, I will also replace my tires with 225/50r17 (I currently have 225/45r17 tires). I am thinking that a 55 sidewall would be too much and possibly too floaty.

My goal is to make my Golf a better and frankly comfier ride when driving fully loaded with 3 grown ups, 2 kids, a trunk and roofbox full of things, over potholes, trying to park on difficult driveway angles and so on.

What do you guys think? Is it the correct combination?
Old July 6th, 2016, 11:45   #402
drade

Has anybody experienced problems with the esp on their Golfs after the lift?
Old August 8th, 2016, 21:55   #403
SomeJ
Veteran Member

Default 2 year Update

An update to my post of the upgrades a little over 2 years ago...

The H&R 29037.1 lifter springs did not work out in the long run. I do not recall how many miles I have on them, but needless to say, they began to sag really bad earlier this year and ended up destroying my tires. I have had a good amount of weight + pulling trailers so they did get a work out.

Now I have the OEM JSW towing springs which were ordered from ID parts. Around 6kmiles on them so far and they are holding up well. 2500 of those miles is pulling a camper with a load in the back of the car. The towing springs did lift the backend back up quick a bit, id say about 1inch higher from where the slumping lifter springs had ended up. Lifted to the point that just the slightest bump will cause the factory shocks to top out (without a load in the back of the car) and make it sound like something is rattling in the back.

The front springs which already had 32k miles on them when I got them, were factory from a 4 motion tig. These springs are still holding good and I have had no issues with them.

Over all I am now extremely happy with this setup. Will update in time as everything gets more "broken in".

-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeJ View Post
So I installed the new rear springs earlier this week...
Used the H&R 29037.1 lifter springs.

After a few days of driving with a normal load in the back of the car... I am seeing just around a .5 inch lift.

The fronts are slated to go on Monday. One thing to note, the new tig lifter springs were actually about half an inch shorter than my OEM jsw springs. However they are much stiffer. The back end is not nearly as bouncy and actually takes quite a bit to get it to move. Really these springs seem more like a towing spring to me which is no problem as that is exactly what I have planned

After further reading, I have decided to not put on the new H&R lifter springs on the front and instead am going with a slightly used set of FWD OEM tig springs. Reports say they will lift the front, but not as much as the lifter springs. And with the full set of lifter springs the front actually raises more than the back making the car appear to sag in the back. So... On Monday we shall see if these OEM tig springs give me a lift and keep the car fairly level from front to back

Cheers!
J
SomeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:43   #404
DASKYMZ

After a little reading here, I ordered the JSW lift springs, install kit & Koni FSD struts/shocks from ID Parts for my wife's 2010 JSW TDI. Here's what we bought:

https://www.idparts.com/sportwagen-l...et-p-5101.html
https://www.idparts.com/koni-fsd-str...-a5-p-706.html
https://www.idparts.com/suspension-i...a5-p-4807.html

We've got 90K on the original equipment, and when we took the rears off (after the tire shop indicated cupping on a new set of tires after ~5000 miles), the shocks were about shot. My wife likes to overpack, and I would like to eventually try towing a small camping trailer, so we upgraded the suspension & got the rear tires replaced under warranty, then took it to Les Schwab for alignment. Here's the result of the lift (sticking with stock tires & wheels for now):

That's what I've got so far... impressions are that it drove great on the way home from Sacramento to Yuba City (did the whole install at my brother's place, since he's a mechanic) and tracked straight. We were thinking it would have positive camber due to the lift, but it ended up needing toe adjustment all around instead of camber. I'm hoping there will be a perceptible difference in handling on dirt/unmaintained roads, since we like to explore where we can go with this car.

DASKYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2016, 08:44   #405
sinfony78
Veteran Member

since 10k miles, i've been on a lowered car with koni yellow, h&r springs, and 18" rims, and it was my daily driver...i used it on solo road trips with a hitch bike rack and installed a jl audio stealth box. i've since gained a wife, her child, and her brother, so the lowered car no longer serves its purpose trying to lug all that weight around and bottoming out on meager dips in the road. unfortunately i just installed a b&g rs1 coilover kit to give it back some lift, but it's not that much and will probably start sagging again after another 40-50k miles. so once i've exhausted the utility off the newly installed suspension, i'll be fully utilizing the vehicle and lifting it, replacing with 16" wheels and larger tires, and traveling the country with this sucker again

kind of wish i hadn't already spent the money on the b&g + install, cause i'm ready to do this now

maybe once my money comes in from the diesel lawsuit, i'll just see this as a sunk cost and lift it immediately. glad to see that this has been done already with positive results