Freeze Frame:
RPM: 0 /min
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 12.01 V
Bin. Bits: 00001100
Temperature: 18.9°C
Bin. Bits: 00110000

Anyone have any experience with this? On every startup, the car puts out clouds of white smoke laced with a bit of black smoke. I replaced the glow plug relay and everything seemed fixed until it started smoking again and the same code came back. Any help would be awesome, this is really stumping me.

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
sorry to dig this one up, but did you find a solution ??? My '06 is throwing the same code (minus the excessive smoke). Runs fine though....

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
On the early A5s, the glow plug wiring goes through a connector behind the left (driver's side) headlamp that sits in a little plastic holder. That plastic holder can hold water if debris gets in there, and over time cause the 4 pin connector to corrode and allow the glow plugs to get a poor connection.

You can sorta get to it after the air cleaner assembly is out of the way, but it is even easier if you take the bumper cover off (SUPER simple on the A5) and take the left head lamp assembly out.

I modify this little plastic holder by drilling a hole. I am uploading some blurry images I took the last time right now...

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Here is the connector as it sits in the holder:

Here is the holder with the connector removed, note the debris in the bottom that holds water:

And here is the holder with my drain hole modification:

Keep in mind, you'll also need to open that connector and clean it out and dry it out... and if it is really bad you'll need to replace it.

MakDad

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta.
Good info OILHAMMER, but is that just a connector or actually the "Module Control Unit" that the code P0670 stands for ? I'll definitely check out this connector, but I get the feeling that it might also be some kind of relay/switch that controls the glow plug harness... might be wrong though.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Good info OILHAMMER, but is that just a connector or actually the "Module Control Unit" that the code P0670 stands for ? I'll definitely check out this connector, but I get the feeling that it might also be some kind of relay/switch that controls the glow plug harness... might be wrong though.
It's so simple. Follow the OH's advice and check out what he recommended. If the problem is still there, then there is something else to check out.

Let's see: Your advice is to much of a hassle to deal with, so I think I need to look somewhere else for an easier solution to the problem.............

Feelings are great if you are going to the prom or something. but check out what folks report as real issues to your problem first.

All the code really means is that the ECU sees a problem and it is up to you to figure out why the ECU set the code.

Possible causes:

- Faulty Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM)
- GPCM harness is open or shorted
- GPCM circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p0670_volkswagen.html#ixzz3BaISJC2H

Last edited:

nic_a_bod

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
Just got around to doing this today cause it was pretty cold out for this time of year and she hesitated starting this morning, it was FULLLLLLL of crap.

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
2010-Jetta-TDI-DSG-Salsa Red
just tried looking for this, is it under the air box, i couln't find it

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Your 2010 may be different than a 2006. Chase the wires from the GP's and look for anything not up to snuff.

ss~zoso~ss

Veteran Member
TDI
2010-Jetta-TDI-DSG-Salsa Red
ah jeez, didn't even see that in their profile.

Thanks! Probably a non issue

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta, 99.5 Jetta...previously owned 2000 Beetle and 1990 Jetta 1.6
I know this is old but I'm wondering if there's a way to tell what Oilhammer calls an early from a later MKV. Is the reference simply year specific or is it a split model change?

I don't seem to have the connector above that sits in a plastic cradle. I do have a similar looking connector in a cradle that already has a hole in it but it's a 3 wire connector, not the multiwire looking connector above.

Thoughts on where this connector is in my 2006. I have the bumper off and the headlight out and don't see anything like above.

oilhammer

TDI
The dealer can tell which harness by VIN, if that is what you are asking about.

The later style has the glow plug harness down in a different spot.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
The dealer can tell which harness by VIN, if that is what you are asking about.

The later style has the glow plug harness down in a different spot.
OK, thanks. I was wondering if this was possibly a solution to my P3338 code problem. I believe the harness I found that's quite similar is for the o2 sensor after looking a little more. The harness I found was 1J0 973 713 for anyone that ever runs into the same thing - 3 wires but in a 6 wire harness.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and I was asking if what you were calling late versus early meant 2005.5 versus 2006 versus 2009 or if it's not that simple. I know somethings were changed mid year but wasn't sure how this relates to my 2006.

Thanks, again.

oilhammer

TDI
In this instance, the wire harness change happened several times (there are actually EIGHT BRM engine harnesses listed), however they distill down to just a handful: early or late, manual or automatic.

Some have been obsoleted though, so you may not even have the option of getting a new one anymore. The last one I had was NLA, and I ended up spending a half day repairing the darn thing. :mad:

I am not familiar with the nature of your problem, can you explain more? Maybe I can help.

1J0-973-713 is a contact housing, not a harness.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
In this instance, the wire harness change happened several times (there are actually EIGHT BRM engine harnesses listed), however they distill down to just a handful: early or late, manual or automatic.

Some have been obsoleted though, so you may not even have the option of getting a new one anymore. The last one I had was NLA, and I ended up spending a half day repairing the darn thing. :mad:

I am not familiar with the nature of your problem, can you explain more? Maybe I can help.

1J0-973-713 is a contact housing, not a harness.

One of the OBDii I got way back when was P0670. In searching the forums, I found this thread so I thought I would pull the bumper and see if this was the cause of my issue. In doing so, I couldn't find what you had pictures of on my 2006. I did find the other item, 1J0-973-713, that looked similar but clearly isn't what you are referencing. I'm still looking for the glow plug harness you referenced to see if it's my problem. Through VCDS I get P3338 so I'm not sure if this or isn't related.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, and another reason I'm now looking into this is because I believe the glow plug control module is one of the 50 amp fuses under the hood...which is drawing current when it should be asleep.

oilhammer

TDI
If I had a BRM car here today I could take a picture. It is one of the plugs (the only plugs) on the engine harness that crosses near the starter. If your car is an automatic, the transmission will have its own harness, that goes to a round plug on the transmission near the starter, that is NOT the harness for the engine.

Glow system problems on the BRM are very, very rare. Even the plugs themselves are not nearly as failure prone as the other PD and VE engines are.

The later BRMs have the 4 glow plug wires in a larger 14 pin plug, but only 9 of the pins are populated. 3 little pins, and 6 large pins (4 of the larger ones are the glow plug circuits). The glow plug wires are all black, but each has its own color stripe: red, blue, gree, and white. These are in slots 5, 6, 7, and 8 in that 14 pin connector.

It is near the starter, in a holder. It is by itself.

The J179 Glow Plug Control Module is all by itself, in a slide out holder, underneath the underhood fusebox. You have to remove the battery to get at it.

Last edited:

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
The later BRMs have the 4 glow plug wires in a larger 14 pin plug, but only 9 of the pins are populated. 3 little pins, and 6 large pins (4 of the larger ones are the glow plug circuits). The glow plug wires are all black, but each has its own color stripe: red, blue, gree, and white. These are in slots 5, 6, 7, and 8 in that 14 pin connector.

I think this must be what I have as I saw something similar when searching. It looked ok.

I still have a glow plug module problem according to VCDS but maybe I can eliminate this one possibility. I also have an at rest draw through a 50 amp fuse that I can't quite identify but think it might be the glow plug fuse.

This may also be the cause of the fire this car is about to have.

Thanks for the response!

oilhammer

TDI
Never seen it on a Volkswagen, but I have seen some older MB products (Sprinters, usually) where their glow module would stay stuck on and kill the battery. Not totally on, just not totally off either.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Never seen it on a Volkswagen, but I have seen some older MB products (Sprinters, usually) where their glow module would stay stuck on and kill the battery. Not totally on, just not totally off either.

I should have said that I have two fifty amp fuses under the hood (in a row of 4 larger fuses 2 are 40 and 2 are 50), one of which is for glow plugs and the other that can't be identified after a lot of searching. That battery drain issue is probably something else but I do know that this 50 amp fuse is pulling .1mV at rest - which is about 50 milliamps on a 40 amp fuse according to the TSB matrix...so it's causing a problem.

Actually, I was trying more to correct the glow plug issue that's showing up in VCDS but started thinking the two problems may be related.

oilhammer

TDI
Well there is a 50A fuse that feeds the glow plugs, #27 in the underhood panel but I believe it is one of the main links on the front cannot remember and Alldata is conveniently missing that page :rolleyes:

Easy enough to check, though, as once you get the glow relay out you'll see the big main power wire (red or red w/ white stripe I think) that should be hot at all times. See where that wire goes in your fuse box via a quick Ohm check (you will have the battery out anyway, so you shouldn't be able to hurt anything with this quick check) and see if that is part of your drain.

FletchMan

Veteran Member
TDI
Great. Thanks. If only I could think of the 'easy' stuff!