Starter Motor won't stop, bendix not engaged key removed

wooba001

TDI
2002 Beetle
Hello All
I didn't see a New beetle section, I may just be blind.

Vehicle: 2002 New Beetle, 1.9L TDI (engine ALH)

I went to start my car and the starter motor ran without engaging the pinion to the fly wheel. I tried turning the key off and the starter continued running. I cycled it on and off a few times, no change then I disconnected the battery terminal. I reconnected the battery and the starter ran again, key out of ignition. I took my wife's car to work instead.

When I came back I removed the battery, sprayed an electronic cleaner on the fuses (weren't really dirty to begin with) and checked through the wiring from battery to starter and ground and couldn't find anything wrong. I put the battery back in and all worked normally.

So the car is presently starting and running. But I didn't really do anything to fix it.

I've glanced through my Bentley manual and couldn't find any reference to a starter relay.

Do you know if this problem could be just the starter motor going on the fritz or if it could be an electrical problem in the car?

Any advice from someone who has dealt with this or thinks they may know what is up would be much appreciated.

Thank you
Wooba001

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I had this exact same thing happen to me. I had to replace my starter back in June after an engine mishap. I had it all back together and rather than wait a couple of days for a new Bosch I went to my local auto parts store and purchased a reman. It lasted just about 30 days, and did what you describe. I warrantied it through the parts store and I'm coming up on two months on this starter and so far so good.

So yup your starter is heading out on permanent vacation.