RYAN P's 6 speed 02M Conversions and ALL Euro TDI Parts

NewYorkDiesel

TDI
MK lV VW Jetta TDI BEW
5 speed auto to 6 speed manual swap

I bought the auto to manual swap kit from Ryan and just got the car back. LOVE IT. Solved all the issues my automatic tranny was giving me, and my fuel economy drastically improved. Doing 75 mph in 6th gear at 1800 RPM, couldn't be happier. :D Thanks Ry!

Supercrotts

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Help me out. I finished the auto to six speed conversion a few months ago, and everything is great! Except for a slight wobble or vibration at speeds over 50 mph. I've had a couple alignments and had the wheels balanced with no luck. I'm concerned about the longer drive shaft, seems to have some play in it. The part number on it is 1J0 407 272 BJ.... having a hard time finding one. Is this shaft interchangeable with 1J0 407 272 GD or 1J0 407 452 QX??

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
'01, '01, '03, ‘06 NB - TDIs all.
I had the shorter drive line from Ryan that was not quite right. The easiest for me was to give Aaron a call at Boraparts. He has OP brand replacements that are very reasonable in price. While they are Chinese (I'm skeptical), I found them well built and now that I have 8k miles, I feel like they are a good replacement.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
If you are still struggling LMK, the aftermarket CV's seem to work out OK.

GD and Qz are the same part :0

Thanks!

Ryan

Supercrotts

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Thanks, I gave Aaron a call at Bora and he's shipping an axle out to me at a good price. Anyway... I did the whole auto to six speed on my 04 Jetta myself with parts from RyanP, it was a challenge but everything went great! Love the manual 6 speed!! I'll let you know how the axle thing works out Ryan, thanks for the email

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Nice! Let me know what you think of that axle. Yup, Ryanp has taken good care of my needs and always delivers and does a good job standing behind what he sells.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
i found your other thread that led me to this one so i think i am asking in the right place....

i have a decently modded ALH right now, 17/22, IC, injectors, exhaust, tune ect ect. i am thinking i want to get more power and maybe a different turbo, i also happen to have a brand new 1756VK sitting around (from back when CERBER actually shipped stuff) that i kinda want to use.

i want the torque to stay as low as possible as i had a GT22V on the car before and i did not like the high and fast QT spike it had, did not make fun driving to me.

do you sell just a down pipe that will work with the 1756? i know i am going to need the adapter flange but what else? i looked on the site and see the budget kit you offer but i only need a few parts.

do you offer a flange adapter kit that will work with this manifold?

Last edited:

bill66s

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wgn
Does anyone know of a shop who will install Ryans auto to 6 speed conversion in the Philadelphia area?

bill66s

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wgn
Automatic transmission to 6 speed conversion

Greetings,
I am looking for a shop that can provide the installation of Ryan's kit into a 2003 Jetta. I live in the Philadelphia / Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania. Am willing to travel a couple hundred miles. I really need to be rid of this slush box. Any leads will be appreciated. Thanks......Bill

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
you'll be better off posting in the regional section. i'm sure there are a few people who can point you in the right direction

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
i found your other thread that led me to this one so i think i am asking in the right place....

i have a decently modded ALH right now, 17/22, IC, injectors, exhaust, tune ect ect. i am thinking i want to get more power and maybe a different turbo, i also happen to have a brand new 1756VK sitting around (from back when CERBER actually shipped stuff) that i kinda want to use.

i want the torque to stay as low as possible as i had a GT22V on the car before and i did not like the high and fast QT spike it had, did not make fun driving to me.

do you sell just a down pipe that will work with the 1756? i know i am going to need the adapter flange but what else? i looked on the site and see the budget kit you offer but i only need a few parts.

do you offer a flange adapter kit that will work with this manifold?

Only just seen this, I dont make anything to work with that manifold and the DP would be custom ideally. Sorry!

The 17's can be made to come in quite progressively!

Thanks

Ryan

bill66s

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS wgn
Thanks. . . . I'll keep their information. I bought a 2003 TDI Jetta 5 sp with a blown motor and some rear body damage today. I've been talking with Mike at MMAUTOCYCLE .He's been really helpful and seems to be a straight shooter. I'll probably fix up the 5 speed Jetta and sell the automatic I have now. I've never liked automatics, won't buy another.

sardo_67

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL 6spd
you don't sell just parts of the 1756 kit? i see on the site the kit comes with a DP. i would get the newer manifold and use the adapter plate, wouldn't that make the DP you guys make work?

TDIChris86

TDI
04 VW Jetta TDI
Greetings,
I am looking for a shop that can provide the installation of Ryan's kit into a 2003 Jetta. I live in the Philadelphia / Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania. Am willing to travel a couple hundred miles. I really need to be rid of this slush box. Any leads will be appreciated. Thanks......Bill
Have you heard of DieselsDubs in Shippingsburg area? Les is an TDI expert and enthusiast. A great guy to do business with...its hard to find anyone with his knowlege and skill especially at his cost....if you hav'nt found anyone yet its worth the drive. Goodluck:)

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Les does a good job!!

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Can't wait to see how different a gtb2260vk runs compared to my 17/22. Looking forward to installing the kit next weekend. Thanks Ryan.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Still got lots of stuff ready to ship out on a 24hr service!

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Lots of 6 speeds shipping this week, thanks for the orders and keep em coming!!

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf TDI, '00 Jetta TDI(SOLD), '84 Rabbit 5sp NA(SOLD), 06 Jetta TDI(SOLD)
Ordered my 02M Friday afternoon, It arrived today (Tuesday) at about 2pm and Monday was a holiday. Props to Ryan and his team for a speedy shipment. I have not been able to tear into it other than checking to make sure it is all there, but it looks good so far! New flange seals and rear main oil seal should be in tomorrow, the Golf should be back on the road Saturday!

Ryan has done an excellent job answering all my questions (there were a few) and I would definitely recommend him.

TDI
2003 jetta wagon
Got my 6 speed in (auto - 6 speed) pretty big job, did it solo. Took 3 days working at it. Took it for a test drive Monday night, and started driving it to work yesterday. And yea crazy fast delivery, ordered on a Sunday night at my work by noon Tuesday (west Coast). All in all went fairly smooth, just need to check where I pressed the wire in pin 66, not sure it made good contact, no cruise as of now.

Thanks again Ryan

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Glad you guys are happy!!

We dont mess about!!

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Finished installing my 02M today, W-O-W. Why did VW not sell these in the US? Looks like the guys across the pond get all the fun stuff!
The install went pretty smooth, I think the only modification I had to make was to the new shifter. Five minutes with a die grinder and all was well. The heat shield for the passenger side inboard cv joint rubs on the larger flange. All minor details in an excellent upgrade. Major props to Ryan for supplying everything I needed to get this done. The speedometer works as it should, all gears shift out well.

The only problem I am having is that the cruise control only works in 1st through 5th gears. Do I need to do some VCDS coding to get the cruise to work in 6th?

Thanks again Ryan for a complete kit and lightning fast shipping........

ta79pr

Veteran Member
TDI
02 TTQ (BEW)
The only problem I am having is that the cruise control only works in 1st through 5th gears. Do I need to do some VCDS coding to get the cruise to work in 6th?
Yeah, I wish it was easier to figure out the ecu tweak for the cruise to work in 6th. Its a hex address if not a whole table and then an updated checksum, at least for edc16.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Finished installing my 02M today, W-O-W. Why did VW not sell these in the US? Looks like the guys across the pond get all the fun stuff!
The install went pretty smooth, I think the only modification I had to make was to the new shifter. Five minutes with a die grinder and all was well. The heat shield for the passenger side inboard cv joint rubs on the larger flange. All minor details in an excellent upgrade. Major props to Ryan for supplying everything I needed to get this done. The speedometer works as it should, all gears shift out well.

Thanks again Ryan for a complete kit and lightning fast shipping........
What modification did you have to make to the shifter? The heat shield can be angled slightly to keep it from rubbing on the flange or, what I've done, is take a torch and give the shield just enough heat to bend it slightly so it will clear.
On the cruise for 6th, Malone tuning can get you a tune to give you some more power and better Econ along with a fix for the cruise issue with the BEW engine.
Glad it all went well!

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
The 5 speed shifter had two studs on the front that got nuts from the top and two bolts from the bottom into a spot welded bracket. The 6 speed shifter just had four studs. I had to remove the two rear studs and grind down the locating hump between them. I also had to trim two ears off the rear of the aluminum housing as well as some reinforcement ribbing. After then making a couple of notches where the tabs were, I used the two new bolts/fender washers Ryan sent with the transmission to bolt the rear of the shifter housing to the aforementioned bracket. It only took about 10 minutes with a 3" cutoff wheel.
I was about to drill new holes for the two rear studs, I am glad I noticed the new bolts were the right size for the holes in the bracket.
The heat shield was really not a problem, I took the VW slip coupling, exhaust hanger above the rear axle, and the hanger cross brace loose. Once you get that done and the six little washer clips loose, the two heat shields come right out.

Thanks to VW for the use of the slip coupling, made it much easier.

I spoke to Jeff at Rocketchip, since that is the tune I am running and he gave me a reasonable price to fix the issue. I just need to be able to park the car for a few days.

I have to say, I love the ERF gearset. The new fifth gear is identical to the old one, about 2700rpm at 80mph(indicated.) I am seeing about 2100rpm in sixth at the same indicated speed. I have checked the speedo with GPS and it has not changed in accuracy.

I highly recommend this to anyone who actually drives their TDI

Sorry no pics, I was pretty exasperated by this point only because it can be quite difficult to install the trans by yourself, with a floor jack, on jack stands, in the rain. I finally wound up bench pressing it in place, the whole lift and rotate thing is not easy on a standard floor jack.

Last edited:

nogassershere

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the PD 150s that these come out of have a heat shield over the inboard passenger side CV joint? I had to delete mine because it was touching the larger flange. Is there a larger heat shield available, or do I need to fab something up?

boertje

Veteran Member
TDI
Do the PD 150s that these come out of have a heat shield over the inboard passenger side CV joint? I had to delete mine because it was touching the larger flange. Is there a larger heat shield available, or do I need to fab something up?
If you have a heat source such as a torch, just heat the shield enough to bend it (out of the car of course) and give it a slight bend. You really don't want to delete this shield. It's what I have had to do to a number of my installs.