www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old August 14th, 2017, 15:38   #3421
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
The "eco" tune refers to the lack of DPF on the vehicle, thus no need for a low ash oil. The UOA in that post is 90% highway miles. Car now runs quite a bit more city, but not stop and go traffic. If the the oil had sheared too much, would wear have gone up as well?

Based on your exceptionally low wear numbers, I'd just keep doing whatever you're doing.
turbobrick240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 19:24   #3422
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjat84th View Post
The "eco" tune refers to the lack of DPF on the vehicle, thus no need for a low ash oil. The UOA in that post is 90% highway miles. Car now runs quite a bit more city, but not stop and go traffic. If the the oil had sheared too much, would wear have gone up as well?
All I am saying are the tolerances in the bearings such that a 5w-40 is unnecessary and would a 5w-30 cj4 do just as well wear wise. The shearing of the oil seams to indicate the bearings are designed for a 30 weight oil and less shearing allows the 30 wt to run cooler and protect just as well.

With the Eco tune you have a great opportunity to take advantage of a 5w-30 CJ4 oil that likely will last 15000 miles plus, provide equal protection and return improved fuel mileage because you have a roller cam and really no need for a 40 wt.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:23   #3423
adjat84th
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 50+ in mixed driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Son View Post
All I am saying are the tolerances in the bearings such that a 5w-40 is unnecessary and would a 5w-30 cj4 do just as well wear wise. The shearing of the oil seams to indicate the bearings are designed for a 30 weight oil and less shearing allows the 30 wt to run cooler and protect just as well.

With the Eco tune you have a great opportunity to take advantage of a 5w-30 CJ4 oil that likely will last 15000 miles plus, provide equal protection and return improved fuel mileage because you have a roller cam and really no need for a 40 wt.
I see what you're saying, and if fuel economy could be improved with the same wear rates as TDT then I'm all for it. Reason I went with the TDT was it's price vs the low ash 5w-30s (507) oils, plus I use it in my '01. What 5w-30 oils are folks using that aren't of the more expensive 507 flavors?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

adjat84th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:17   #3424
James & Son
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta

Quote:
What 5w-30 oils are folks using that aren't of the more expensive 507 flavors?
Good question. I would look at all the latest CPK oils since they are CJ4 oils but for future energy efficient engines. here is an example of how this new classification has updated the viscosities available.

https://lubricants.petro-canada.com/...line/DURON-UHP

You can see how Petro Canada has embraced the new CPK/CJ4 rating with lighter viscosity oils. Other companies are likely doing the same.

Edit: read the sales product line of DURON UHP 5W-30 claiming 2X protection and 4% increase in fuel economy. There must be a lot of boron in these oils to get the base rating they have.

Last edited by James & Son; August 15th, 2017 at 20:08.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote