Turbo Exhaust Manifold Gasket

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
I was just on a 2k trip and my gasket failed between turbo and exhaust manifold. I had and aftermarket one that was just stainless. The Original had metal on the outside and some kind of Carbon or what ever on between the metal. Were do I find this part.....doesn't seem like I can get my hands on it. Any suggestions? I would prefer the Original part compared to this aftermarket considering my issues. I was making a loud noise whistle ish ......so i checked it out and the turbo bolts were loose......Not sure if my torque specs were wrong or if the gasket failed.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I think that should be metal to metal.... no gasket.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Agree with Todd, I don't remember a gasket for the triangle mounting. There is a gasket between the charger and the exhaust down pipe though.

Steve

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Wagon TDI B4V Storm Gray 258k, 98 Jetta TDI 260k (retired for spare parts)
soo....

I recall removing a gasket from the Exhaust manifold to the turbo inlet....It was triangle shaped with a fiber in the middle and metal on the outsides......it seemed to be a great product......shouldn't have disposed of it. If you removed your turbo you would find out

TDITim83

Veteran Member
TDI
I replaced the gaskets......1/5th was burnt out from the bolts backing out and causing the gasket to get torched out.