Is Fuel Injection Pump in ALH considered emissions equipment?

alex97jazzblue

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BRM
Long story short, I am pretty sure that the fuel pump in my 2002 Jetta TDI has failed. Since the failure and troublshooting is in another thread I will leave that there.

What I wanted to ask here is about the pump and it's realtion to emmisions.

I called up a Bosch Diesel facility in my state and told the guy about my issues.
He urged me to contact VW because as he said in his words "The fuel pump is part of the emissions system, therefore it is under a federal protection that requires car manufactures to guarantee emmisions hardware for I beleive 100,000 miles. Read the fine print, its in there"

Now I know if I call the dealership or VWOA I will get a big "HUH!??!" after I waited on hold for an hour.

I know here I will know the answer and if it is true, hopefully a copy/paste of that 'fine print' the Bosch rep was telling me about :rolleyes: .

Thanks for any input, I am trying to avoid a 1000$+ replacement of my fuel pump.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nope... all the info is right in your owner's manual on the warranty, and the extended emission control stuff really boils down to the catalyst and ECU, and that is to 80k miles I think in 2002.

alex97jazzblue

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BRM
Huh, maybe it does in heavy duty applications. It must somewhere for an employee who is a bosch mechanic to tell me otherwise.

How crummy of him to give me a glimmer of hope....
I knew it was unlikely the pump would be covered.

So I guess my upcoming tab is still 1000$

If anyone has any links to other stories of other people who experienced total fuel pump failure on an ALH motor with 100K miles or less, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

oilhammer

TDI
alex97jazzblue said:
Huh, maybe it does in heavy duty applications. It must somewhere for an employee who is a bosch mechanic to tell me otherwise.

How crummy of him to give me a glimmer of hope....
I knew it was unlikely the pump would be covered.

So I guess my upcoming tab is still 1000$

If anyone has any links to other stories of other people who experienced total fuel pump failure on an ALH motor with 100K miles or less, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
I have sent out about 20 ALH pumps before 100k. Nothing really new there.

alex97jazzblue

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BRM
Well thats tragic, if I may, I beg your unique perspective.

If you could put your finger on the cause of the failure of those 20 you replaced, what would they be?

Where any of them simply broken due to the product naturally failing, or do you any that failed due to the 'rumored' causes. (USLD and BIO)

The reason why I cant find any info on pump failure is it seems almost every post and guide is focussing on failing and leaky seals on the IP, all repairable.

We troubleshot my car using Whitedog's guide and Benley manual. In the end the mity vac proved there was no vacum leak in the pump itself, and when Minion(mechanic i hired) held his finger over the inlet of the fuel pump when the engine was turning he felt no suction.

Beetler

banned by choice
I broke a shaft in my 02 alh pump at around 100,000

I guess I am supposed to let the engine warm up for a few minutes before I select the wide open throttle possition for blast off.

oilhammer

TDI
Noisy pumps, leaking pumps, noisy and leaking pumps, pumps that can no longer hold the timing because the advance plate inside is broken, wallered out shafts, etc. Lots and lots of reasons they get replaced/rebuilt. DFIS could give a much better picture of the actual insides and what breaks than I could.

Bad fuel, bio or petroleum based, can cause many issues. Bad metallurgy is another.

Please read here:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=189029

I mention ALH pumps somewhere in there.

alex97jazzblue

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BRM
Thanks for that Oilhammer,

My issue is that the fuel pump simply will not pull fuel from tank.

I did ALL the troubleshooting Whitedog recommends in his sticky, as well as the bentley manual.

I contracted MINION(local guru/audi tech) to take over this repair.
He came over my house and redid all of the troubleshooting and installed a Viton head pump seal.

He started this thread about it, unfortunatly there has not been much replies but that is not suprising since we did most everything.

thanks again.

wanders

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS- Baltic Green
Mine went out at about 80K miles. I ended up buying a pump from another member here for considerably less that $1000. Birdman and I installed it, and things have been fine since.

If I were in your shoes, I post a WTB in the classifieds and see what turns up.

For that matter, see www.kermatdi.com for a rebuilt pump.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Remove your pump, send it to Diesel Fuel Injection service, pay the cost of overhaul and then reinstall YOUR pump back in YOUR engine. You get for all intensive purposes a BRAND NEW PUMP with a NEW warranty backed by Bosch.

I believe in keeping a pump with it's respective motor unless of course the damage is so bad that the pump is not able to be saved which is seldom if ever the case provided the case is not shattered.

Overhaul is anywhere from $600-$800 in the case of a worn or damaged low stage pump which seems to fit the failure described by the OP.

DB

oilhammer

TDI
And I think DFIS pretty much always puts a new suction pump in on a rebuild, no matter what. And it gets checked for proper operation before it leaves the door.

Only downside is, your car will be down for a while. Their turnaround time is not the fastest :eek:

alex97jazzblue

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BRM
First let me state how pleased I am to get all these TDIclub gurus I have known for years responding to my posts, I need to post in TDI101 more often :D
DB's suggestion is holding some water with me. Save money and keep engine and Original Fuel Pump married forever.

Only thing for me is that my new mechanic, MINION lives about 1 hour from me and he would have to make two trips to my house, one to remove the pump, the other to add it back when fixed. Wheras if I just bought a off the shelf rebuild from Impex it is all done in one fell swoop.

I am going to call DFIS, I really want them to explain to me their pricing as it relates to the 600-800$ range I keep hearing.
Will they do a flat out 0-mile remanfucature on it?
OR if it is just one part will they just fix that?

Also what makes DFIS so special amongst the many other Bosch rebuilders.

Let me also state that unnamed friends of mine in 2 different VW parts businesses have offered me the rebuild pump at "cost" at like 940$ (I guess the core deposit is not involved because they know i will give it to them).
So if DFIS is as high as 800$ then I would only be using them to keep the pump with the engine as DB recommended. And I would be giving up convenience.

thanks guys

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
DFIS will not quote you a price until the pump is torn down on the bench and inspected. BTDT.

There is also a new rebuilder in Wisconsin. JasonTDI can chime in with contact info.

If you can get a rebuilt IP from VW at a reasonable price, I'd be very tempted. I suspect everything inside these units are new.

oilhammer

TDI
The VW reman pumps are essentially new, yes. DFIS does a very good job, though. VW has lowered the price on VE pumps in the last year, so it is certainly worth a look-see. Not sure what the list price is, but wholesale is less than $800 and there is no down time or shipping.

DFIS can be well over $900 + shipping if something inside is really screwed up.