3.0TDI w/Malone Stg 1? Reviews/videos?

OmniGLH

TDI
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
3.0TDI (Cayenne) w/Malone Stg 1? Reviews/videos?

Ok so until about 5 minutes ago the only 3.0TDI options I knew of was BlueSpark.
Caught a random post by one of the Malone Tuning guys... perused their website... and hot damn +76hp and 101lbft from their stage 1? I've got a 2014 Cayenne Diesel (that's been "fixed") and man this definitely has my interest.
Anybody got a YouTube video, or is there a good thread somewhere detailing impressions?
I'm generally paranoid modding a car that's under warranty (my CD is warrantied to 100k.... it's an expensive vehicle to fix if the warranty gets killed)... and I also tow with it.... so have some concern over powertrain life with the extra power.
Still tempting for that power level. Is it switchable back to stock tune easily or, once it's in, its in? Anybody out there have significant mileage on theirs?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
You're always welcome to a refund within 30 days if you're not happy with the software. We try to focus more on R&D and supporting our distribution network rather than just marketing, pretty busy over here and at capacity as it is.

With the powergate 3 (flashzilla) units you can revert it back to stock for dealer trips, but there is always the potential for a tune to be detected, regardless of who installs it. If your warranty is of the utmost importance, it would be best to leave the vehicle stock. Also keep in mind those quoted power figures are with deletes, on a stock exhaust you'll be down about 15-20% of the advertised gains, so more around 55-60hp/80lb-ft. Transmission limits performance considerably as is so the gains are mostly felt towards highway speeds.

15TDIreg

TDI
2015 Touareg TDI Lux and 2014 Passat TDI Sel
Of course you can go back to stock, just save your take off parts and keep your sensors clean and in a stock place with zip ties then if absolutely needed re tune it and reinstall the hard parts. Keep in mind you can see how many times it has been flashed on the computer. I ran a stage 2 2010 Jetta TDI delete and tune for probably 55k miles or more with zero issues then sold it and bought a '14 Passat TDI. Just did a '15 Touareg stage 2 and have put on maybe 1200 miles. Had one issue with the Touareg but got it worked out with tuning and have had no issues since. Mark Malone is very helpful via email and took care of my issues. I have heard good and bad but am a repeat customer. My first experience better than my second but overall I am happy.

OmniGLH

TDI
Porsche Cayenne Diesel
Transmission limits performance considerably as is so the gains are mostly felt towards highway speeds.
Interesting - is that an effect of the TCM mapping?

Or are there concerns with maximum torque ratings on the trans? I figured the trans was the same as what's in the Cayenne Turbo and thus would be able to handle more power....

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
The transmission has no problem handling the power, but it's a torque converter automatic with economy/epa/family focused transmission mapping. These vehicles aren't really designed with high performance in mind. There are transmission maps from different markets that might be compatible/beneficial, we'll be looking into that but have to prioritize more performance orientated vehicles/current developments first. Hoping to get to this asap, was not expecting this update from VW to be taken so negatively.

Last edited:

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
reviving old thread...

we just purchased a fixed used 2015 white q7 TDI and will be doing the buyback on our 2011 brown q7 TDI shortly...

We testdrove the white 2015 in Toronto, and it's more minivan like in performance... It doesn't seem to like working the engine in the lower half of the rev band.

Hoping for a stage 2 /TCM Malone Tune soon....

We pick up the 2015 q7 next Friday, and will have 2 q7 tdi's in our driveway for a couple months until the buyback is complete as well as my 2006 Stage 1.5 Jetta TDI, and a 2001 Boxster S...

We became VAG through and through it seems...

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
The transmission has no problem handling the power, but it's a torque converter automatic with economy/epa/family focused transmission mapping. These vehicles aren't really designed with high performance in mind. There are transmission maps from different markets that might be compatible/beneficial, we'll be looking into that but have to prioritize more performance orientated vehicles/current developments first. Hoping to get to this asap, was not expecting this update from VW to be taken so negatively.
The Sprintbooster does wonders for the lazy transmission mapping...

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
That just shortens the throttle pedal range, not overall transmission shifting patterns. We're doing full transmission flashes at this point and working on setups for the public.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
..... We're doing full transmission flashes at this point and working on setups for the public.
Can you pm me an estimated price for a stage 2 tune with transmission flash and flashzilla? In cdn funds? It's for a 15 q7 tdi....

Need to come up with business plan to submit to wife....

Peter

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Can you pm me an estimated price for a stage 2 tune with transmission flash and flashzilla? In cdn funds? It's for a 15 q7 tdi....

Need to come up with business plan to submit to wife....

Peter

Your doing it wrong, you submit the business plan after the purchase, it makes a much more convincing argument when you can't return the item.

InfoSec

Veteran Member
FYI, I did the Malone Stage 1 Race (with all deletes) on my 2010 ML350 Bluetec just a few months ago. Couldn't be happier. The thing really moves off of the line, gets better mileage (by about 10-12%) and it seems to run cooler. Still has stock mufflers and used the Buzzken downpipe. I had Matt Whitbread do all of the work along with the oil cooler seal fix. Couldn't be happier but would be just as happy to get a fixed VW Touareg at this point.

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
That just shortens the throttle pedal range, not overall transmission shifting patterns. We're doing full transmission flashes at this point and working on setups for the public.
Any idea when this will be available? No disrespect to you but I've been reading for years now on various forums that a given tuner was about to release a TCU tune for the Tiptronic and then nothing ever comes to fruition. Oddly, the bigger names like APR have a TCU tune for the DSG equipped autos but nothing for the Tiptronic equipped ones.

That is the only reason I have the Sprintbooster (and it does make the power come on much more linear than stock so in my humble opinion it does more than just shorten the throttle pedal range).

Owain@malonetuning

TDI
PD jetta wagon
Thank you, appreciate the support Mike :)

Your doing it wrong, you submit the business plan after the purchase, it makes a much more convincing argument when you can't return the item.
Hope you have a comfy couch!

Any idea when this will be available? No disrespect to you but I've been reading for years now on various forums that a given tuner was about to release a TCU tune for the Tiptronic and then nothing ever comes to fruition. Oddly, the bigger names like APR have a TCU tune for the DSG equipped autos but nothing for the Tiptronic equipped ones.
There are already a couple people bench flashing them https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/...ash-fix-people-please-step-inside-280754.html

There wasn't any demand for transmission tuning on the touaregs until after the emissions update ruined the TCM behavior, now it's the most common complaint. Most tool providers are based in Europe so they have minimal interest in developing for them even now so consumer end tooling has been tricky. A lot of progress has been made this yr on tcm flashing, alientech just released MQB DQ250 DSG support as well so our dealer network will have an easier time flashing them, rather than having to use rental tools.

We've had some luck as well on 3L TCMs but want something simple and affordable for the general public. Will be done when we're happy with it, but you could buy a module at a junk yard right now and send it to Joe to have it re-flashed to pre-fix. Adjusting the throttle map definitely helps, that can be done in software too and varied depending on driving mode.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you think I can take the tcm out of my 11 q7 tdi and swap it with my new fixed 15 before I send it back?

bobzilla

Mark has been terrific with support.
I just flashed my 2014 Porsche Cayenne with the Stage 1 post emissions fix.
Great power and very smooth. Diesel clatter is gone at idle.
MPG back up to 32.8 after just 110 highway driving.

bobzilla

Transmission feels good above 50 MPH
Any feedback on the TCM flash?

Could the programming of the ECU and TCM both have performance tunes that work together?
For stage 1 and 2could standard mode have a more linear throttle response in standard mode with more focus on MPH.
Sport mode with a sharper throttle response with holding set boost higher up in the RPM's.

TCM essentially like pre fix in standard mode coasting with throttle lift, downshifting when RPM goes under 1200.

In Sport mode hold on to RPM's higher up.
Upshifting when more torque is available in the next gear.
Engine braking when off throttle.

Possible?