Chip tuning vs. Tuning Box (plug & play)

evivant

TDI
06 jetta brm , 04 jetta manual with hidden hitch, 04 passat, 04 jetta
:confused: Im interested in boosting my 2004 jetta tdi for towing. The more i surf for electronic boosting the more confused i get. Do i need to send my chip to someone for programming or do the plug in boxes work. The box looks easier to deal with. If the boxes work which ones? There are some on ebay for anywere from 50 to 200 bucks any advise would be welcomed.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
evivant said:
:confused: Im interested in boosting my 2004 jetta tdi for towing. The more i surf for electronic boosting the more confused i get. Do i need to send my chip to someone for programming or do the plug in boxes work. The box looks easier to deal with. If the boxes work which ones? There are some on ebay for anywere from 50 to 200 bucks any advise would be welcomed.
There are some proven reports on the PSI and Diesel Power Digi PD Tuning Box, you can read them here and here.

This one is for sale on the site, here -
FS - DieselPower DIGI-PD Wired (Pro)

Another alternative is larger injectors through Kerma. I've heard great feed back from the larger PD injectors... but of course chipping by RocketChip is another PlusPlus to get a good bang for the buck.

Regardless, you should run a few gauges in the car, one being an exhaust temp gauge, boost gauge and maybe and oil temp gauge. You can develop alot of exhaust heat under load.

Easiest is chipping actually. The boxes are really good too... but are pricey.

BrianCT

OptiCan

TDI
Phaeton 5.0TDI
evivant said:
Don't go for a ebay box. You should find a tuner in your area which would be able to reflash new tuned software for your ecu without removing the ecu. If you don't find any tuner that can do this, then you would need to ship the ecu to a tuner that can flash the ecu on the table. Your car deserve a ecu that work perfect even with an optimized tuning software - external plug and play boxes are not able to do the same with an engine as a new software in the ecu.

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
Tuning box

BrianCT said:
There are some proven reports on the PSI and Diesel Power Digi PD Tuning Box, you can read them here and here.

This one is for sale on the site, here -
FS - DieselPower DIGI-PD Wired (Pro)

BrianCT
May I suggest that you pickup this Digi-PD Wired unit that is still for sale!!

I do recomend the wired unit as it also allows you to disingage it during cruise control operation and save some fuel! It is also easy to disconnect/remove if you need any warranty work.

Just this unit alone will allow the turbo to get up to 24lb PSI when needed. ;)

Take a look at getting a set of gauges if you are going to be pulling a trailer for any length of time. Your temps will be going up when you pull!!
May I suggest, boost, EGT & Oil Temp, but not the VDO set. Choose something nice like the VEI System units. (VDO boost buzzes & the oil temp is poorly lite, EGT is OK)

IMHO

Last edited: