Napa Gold Oil Filters

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
I am changing my oil here soon, but I have always gotten the OEM oil Filters. Is there any special thing I am missing that I can't use this 7210 Napa GOLD Brand Oil Filter?

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
How much is the NAPA filter compared to the various filters from tdiparts.com or worldimpex.com? I've found that even with shipping, it's still less expensive to buy 2 or 3 at a time from one of the aformentioned sources.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
This has been discussed before. Wix does not actually make any filters for these cars, they just rebox someone else's. However usually they are a decent filter. But, truthfully, for the money I would just get a Mann filter from one of our excellent online vendors, or get one at the dealer.

The last Wix filter I saw for an ALH style was made in Korea and was the same as the cheapo auto parts store ones. Others are made in Poland. There is no consistency, really.

TDI
2004 golf
NB_TDi said:
I think the napa golds are made by wix?

If they still are it's a top brand, use with confindence!
Im not so sure they are anymore... I think another company started making them a few years back. I tried to search for who made them, but couldnt find.

I had to use a purolator filter from pep boys, made in korea last time. It definetly looked high quality.

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
92 golf tdi/01 golf tdi /02 golf tdi/04 jetta wagon tdi/vanagon westy tdi
the big problem with aftermarket filters is , yet they fit they have no check valve which makes bad cold starts , just look inside and you will see if it has a check valve or not

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
"check valve" was supposed to be "dam," the plastic insert that keeps the oil from going back into the sump.

Always check new filters for the dam because even some from the dealership with the correct part number are reportedly missing them.

TDI
2004 golf
By check valve im guessing you mean something similar to an "ADBV" or anti-drainback valve? This is needed in cars with sideways filters, upside down filters, etc. Really, if you think about it, even without the plastic dam, there should still be sufficient oil pressure... Perhaps someone with more of this oil systems knowledge will chime in.

Most cars I have had, when the ADBV doesnt do its job there is easily heard start up noises. Maybe the diesel sound would cover them up. Hmmmm

cage

Top Post Dawg
Yeah that's what I found when I bought the NAPA filter a few years ago. It didn't have the drain back valve so I returned it.
If I were you I would go VW original when it comes to oil filters. Not only for the TDI either... My sisters husband changed the oil in their 1.8T Passat before driving to FL. this past spring. He also used NAPA oil. On their way down the dash started beeping and displayed "Shut down engine now" or something like that. They nursed it along and took it to a VW guy when they got there. He said they MUST use synthetic oil and a VW filter. There drive home went without a hitch. Now mind you I warned my sister of this in the past and she called the dealer and they told her that she wasn't required to use synthetic oil either!

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I get the OEM filter from the stealership for $6.30 (the good guy price)that's hard to beat . But the other dealer in town won't work with me at all on prices .

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
Last time I bought a filter from NAPA it was actually a Mahle filter made in Austria. I would not hesitate to pick one up and use it, these filters are fairly basic and all the "guts" are in the filter canister (fixed to the engine), you are just replacing the filter media. Having said that I buy mine online now and get Mahle filters.

I would check out all the NAPA options, Gold, Silver etc and see which looks better, i.e. made in Europe vice Asia. They should be reasonable, even the dealer isnt' too bad.