Loose Flywheel?

icanreachit

TDI
VW Golf TDI
Alright, I know it sounds weird but hear me out:

Story:
5k miles ago I paid a shop in Austin to install a new clutch and SMF from idParts. No, they weren't on the list and before I got to dallas I lost two lug nuts and had to turn around. I took it back and said to re-check everything. Made it to DC alright but then within weeks I developed a chattering when taking off from a stop (in first gear) only when the engine was hot. I got under the car and found some of the bolts that hold the tranny to engine loose. Quickly thereafter my Engine Side motor mount failed (like Jello). I swapped out for OEM but fearing those would fail also, I bought some Dark Forest Industries mounts as well (including Dogbone). My teeth rattle but it made it bearable.

Symptoms:
Chattering when taking off from a stop. It's like a combination of lurching (within the engine bay), and the car trying to stall.
2nd gear and up are O.K. not great, just O.K.

What I've done recently (some unrelated):
Fuel filter
Diesel Purge
First gear getter
New trans seal on Pass side output flange
New trans fluid
Oil change
Timing checked. good to go
New control arms/bushings/balljoints
New Right side steering rod and knuckle.

I've taken it to two mechanics nearby and they always say it's motor mounts.

Why I think something in the flywheel/clutch/pressureplate is loose? The lug nuts were not torqued, the bolts holding the transmission to the engine were not torqued. Why not something inside?

Why my concern? I'm driving back from DC to Dallas this weekend and am just praying that I'll make it. I've got all my tools but fear that if it fails, I'll be stranded. I should have just pulled the transmission and swapped the clutch and flywheel but a) I was afraid that if that wasn't it, I was up sh** creek and b) my child has asthma and we need a go car in case. I live in an apartment currently as well so all of the other jobs were minimal.

Thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
things to check, CV axle bolts, lugs are proper and not stripped, there have been some cases where the aftermarket motor mounts come with an improper bolt causing a bit of play, happened to me and some others, check that the motor mount bolt in the front is flush, not sticking out proud, same with the others.

icanreachit

TDI
VW Golf TDI
Mongler - CV axle bolts to the transmission output flange or wheel side? Both sides are tight and torqued. I updated the list in that I also had to replace passenger side transmission output seal.

Bolt length checked on both (frame and mount side). All mounts OEM from idParts.

Update - I checked the driver's side and found rotational play in the axle where it mounts to the hub. My understanding is there should be none?

Last edited: