Alh to bew swap

Beanz

TDI
2001 Golf 2dr, 2005 golf 4dr
I have a 2001 golf 2dr 220000km, with upgraded injectors, S7 turbo, upgraded intercooler and plumbing, Old Man Intake, 3” turbo back exhaust, ARP head studs sitting in driveway because it sat unregistered for over a year and needs to pass a safety inspection before it could be put back on the road. I have my doubts it would pass with all the parts installed....
I have since purchased a 2005 4dr golf 390000km, stock(kerma dog collar to fix boost pipe issue).
I would like to swap the ALH into the 2005 as well as an 11mm pump I picked up out of an automatic.
I am looking for tips/advice from people having done swaps for compatibility issues, and what would be plug and play... thank you in advance for any help!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
If you have emissions, I think they can tell when you swap an older engine into a newer car. IF it can be done, you'll have to move literally everything in the engine bay. Harness, ecm, engine.. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I've never seen it done.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
First, you'd need to check with your local authorities. Here, it is technically not legal to put an older engine into a newer vehicle. But if nobody is "checking" anything, like a gov't inspection, etc., then....

Second, if you were to do this, you'd essentially need to gut each car and transfer EVERYTHING over, as much of the electrical bits will be different. It would probably be easier to do it that way so you do not miss anything, anyway. But if you were to really do a lot of digging and pouring over wiring diagrams, there is plenty that is the same.

Third, I would consider just keeping the BEW. They are mod friendly, actually, and can run really, really well. A mild tune, VNT17, PD130 intake, and they are pretty impressive.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
What? Since when? It's just some paperwork. You have to register the engine swap with the title for the car. Not a big deal. The SBC 350 is old af and its swapped into cars and trucks all the time, ls1, 454bb, I mean the list is basically endless. You can do what ever you want if you file the correct paperwork.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Depends on where you're at man. Where I'm at, it's not going to pass emissions. Can't put an older engine in a newer car, excluding if it's the same engine family. (2000 ALH in a 2003 for example)

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
Here is the story as best as I can remember it. Keep in mind that this information is based on a manual transmission. An automatic will throw a curve at you, and I haven't looked into the possibility of doing that.

Mechanical:

Everything bolts up just the way it should.

Fuel:

You will need the lines from filter to IP.

Electrical:

Replace both engine bay harnesses and ECU. Get the immobilizer disabled.

To use the lift pump, connect the Black/White wire (On ECU connector T121 Pin 120) from the IP shut off solenoid to terminal 85 of a relay. Ground terminals 86 and 30, and connect terminal 87 to the White connector in the plenum T10w Pin 7. This is necessary because the ALH uses +12V to operate the fuel shut off while the BEW uses a switched ground to operate the lift pump relay.

If you don't use the lift pump, just change the in tank pickup. No electrical changes are needed.

Exhaust:

The downpipe will bolt up to the turbo, but if you remove the oxygen sensor, plug the sensor bung. Auto parts stores can supply the plugs.

Plumbing:

Because of the different placement of accessories, both lines to the AC compressor and power steering pump need to be swapped, as well as the coolant line from the metal tube to the reservoir.

This means you will have to refill the steering fluid, and evacuate, then recharge the AC after replacing the drier.

The accordion tube from the air filter to turbo inlet tube needs to be swapped due to length difference.

The vacuum line to the brake booster is also different and needs to be swapped.

Inside car:

No changes needed. Everything works if immobilizer is disabled.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What? Since when? It's just some paperwork. You have to register the engine swap with the title for the car. Not a big deal. The SBC 350 is old af and its swapped into cars and trucks all the time, ls1, 454bb, I mean the list is basically endless. You can do what ever you want if you file the correct paperwork.
Wrongo, every State, Province has different rules. Many have been caught out doing what you do, to find out they've wasted their time and money. Best to ask first before starting the job.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Third, I would consider just keeping the BEW. They are mod friendly, actually, and can run really, really well. A mild tune, VNT17, PD130 intake, and they are pretty impressive.
This^^^^

Bret2094

TDI
1999.5 Jetta , 2002 Jetta,2003 Jetta Wagon, 2003 Jetta Wagon Non sunroof
Here is the story as best as I can remember it. Keep in mind that this information is based on a manual transmission.

Electrical:

To use the lift pump, connect the Black/White wire (On ECU connector T121 Pin 120) from the IP shut off solenoid to terminal 85 of a relay. Ground terminals 86 and 30, and connect terminal 87 to the White connector in the plenum T10w Pin 7. This is necessary because the ALH uses +12V to operate the fuel shut off while the BEW uses a switched ground to operate the lift pump relay.

If you don't use the lift pump, just change the in tank pickup. No electrical changes are needed.

Exhaust:

The downpipe will bolt up to the turbo, but if you remove the oxygen sensor, plug the sensor bung. Auto parts stores can supply the plugs.

Just for my sanity, do you throw any CEL or glow plugs lights? Debating doing this to a wagon that has a blown up bew and I happen to have 3 alh donors in the back yard...

Thanks,

Bret

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just for my sanity, do you throw any CEL or glow plugs lights? Debating doing this to a wagon that has a blown up bew and I happen to have 3 alh donors in the back yard...
Thanks,
Bret
Just put another BEW in. :)

If the swap is done correctly, you won't have any warning lights! ;)

Tdideanomatic

TDI
Tdi jetta alh, beetle bew
Here is the story as best as I can remember it. Keep in mind that this information is based on a manual transmission. An automatic will throw a curve at you, and I haven't looked into the possibility of doing that.

Mechanical:

Everything bolts up just the way it should.

Fuel:

You will need the lines from filter to IP.

Electrical:

Exhaust:

Plumbing:

Because of the different placement of accessories, both lines to the AC compressor and power steering pump need to be swapped, as well as the coolant line from the metal tube to the reservoir.

This means you will have to refill the steering fluid, and evacuate, then recharge the AC after replacing the drier.

The accordion tube from the air filter to turbo inlet tube needs to be swapped due to length difference.

The vacuum line to the brake booster is also different and needs to be swapped.

Inside car:

No changes needed. Everything works if immobilizer is disabled.
Hi friend I'm just doing this swap now from alh tdi in my rolled beetle to my bew tdi jetta with bad cam issues. The beetle only had just over 100000km and jetta had close to 400km, I bought my beetle back from insurance and it sat for 3 years waiting patiently. I wonder if I have any trouble could I ask for your help. I have the basics run down your post and it seems pretty clear, I appreciate the help.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Hi friend I'm just doing this swap now from alh tdi in my rolled beetle to my bew tdi jetta with bad cam issues. The beetle only had just over 100000km and jetta had close to 400km, I bought my beetle back from insurance and it sat for 3 years waiting patiently. I wonder if I have any trouble could I ask for your help. I have the basics run down your post and it seems pretty clear, I appreciate the help.
Apparently, @Hereforagoodtime has a similar thread, trying to go from an ALH to a BEW.