2.0 vs 1.9

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG Highline Red w/tan
I have an opportunity to get some BHW pistons. My plan is to do a build based on my spare BRM with ported head, Colt stage 2 cam, GTC1549 Pd170 turbo, BEW injectors with the DLC800 nozzles and talk to Owain at Malone for a tune. I know there is a 5% gain in displacement but it has been suggested by some of our European brothers that that the bigger bore unshrouds the valves. Is the net gain more than 5%. In other words is it worth the work?

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Doing the work would leave you lots of room in the future to increase power. As in larger turbo and more fuel. Yet unless you do bottom all the bottom end work its kinda useless. Stock rods like to bend north of 200hp. So I think the real question is what is your outlook of what you really want to do?

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
My goal is 170-190 WHP

With a goal of 170-190 whp, then the BHW pistons are not worth the effort. I have read that for a daily driver all year round,180 whp is lots. I was just looking to be similar to some of the newer European cars. I drove a 2016 Mercedes E220 diesel and thought if my Jetta had this power, changing lanes and accelerating onto onramps would be much easier.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
Thst is good

That is a good amount. I think once you get over 200whp that the torque spins the tires more and wears them out. I know that 200 hp is not a lot on many of the European builds but it would be interesting to see how the DSG and axles stand up over time. I have seen some comments that the GTB2056 spools almost like stock but I thought the newer GTC1549 and GTD1449 all will make over 200whp if you want.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Heck yeah it is. My golf is projecting to be atleast 320hp at the wheels when all said and done. Will be interesting to see what the torque will be.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
What turbo

Thank you Macradiators. What turbo would you suggest for a daily driver to get close to 190. It must be good so nice power band and preferably be building boost by 1500 rpm please. Any other people with experience using BHW pistons to say wetter the gains are worth the work?

Last edited:

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
- GTD1449VZ from CR184 CUNA engine would be excellent for spool and support 200 HP;
- GTC1549VZ from CR170 (e.g. CAHA, CBBB, CEGA, CFGB) - one generation back but still good for ~200 HP, available for cheap now and closest from PnP of all the other options in this list;
- GTD1752VRK from BMW 190 HP 2.0d, >200 HP;
- BV43D from 190 HP CNHA code TDI, >200 HP.

Some people also advocate the BV43A from a variant of the PD170.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting

Than you TDImeister. The GTC1549 was my first choice but Macradiators was if the opinion it was to small. I asked him for his suggestion for a clean smoke free 190 who. I was hoping somebody who had gone from 1.9 to the 2.0 BHW piston could say if was worth it. Anybody been there done that, and can comment please.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
As with most of what you read on the internet, there are snippets of truth. Yes, he's right that you're doing a lot of extensive and expensive mods for fairly modest power goals. Tuning a PD yields quite a bit more for relatively simple bolt-ons like injectors, etc.

Unless your cylinders are scored or you have increased oil consumption through the rings, the BHW pistons are a bit of a waste. The expense of the hard mods you are proposing are more suitable for the 250+ HP range. At the end of the day, it's your money, but I think what Mac (and I) are saying is that it can be more optimally spent for your power goals.

I contend that there's a right turbo size for every power goal and personal driving style. For some, a GTC1549VZ will be perfect for them, while others will need nothing less than a 2260 or bigger still.

xTDIx

Vendor
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 TDI Wagon, 2009 Jetta TDI
Remember, all of this is just advice. DWYWD

A handful of people on here give solid genuine advice, for every one of those you have a hundred couch captains and doughboys shaking their heads at every decision you make.

morpwr

Veteran Member
TDI
You are right

Yes there are definitely a lot of people with an opinion. I think I will not bore out the motor. Just a GTC1549. Colt stage 2. BEW injectors with the DLC800, Malone tune, and shoot for 180-190 smoke free daily driving WHP. Probably going to need a bit larger exhaust. Thank you gentleman, your information and advice is appreciated.