MK4 MKIV seat connections wiring-for the record

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
I've searched the site, but haven't found posts with any details on seat wiring connections.

I am swapping out old basic seats for a set of 8way powerseats. Driver seat has memory buttons. I assume that I can't use the memory function without the wiring harness (not in my GLS), but my chassis doesn't even have the power connections for the seats. Powering the seats is my main question here.

Here is the original seat connections. I think that the yellow connector in my hand is the side airbag, Green bus connector is apparently the seat heater connection, and the yellow one next to it is definitely the seat belt connect detector. Can anyone confirm these?

The high end memory seat (memory on drivers side only) has two additional connections. I am not showing the passenger seat, which has the red bus connector for power seat power connection but no tan connector. The tan one is driver only, so I think that must be for seat memory (settings stored in the comfort module or another remote place under the dash?):

So here is my question... I just want to power the seat so the adjustment controls work, but there are three tabs inside the red connector for spade connectors. I think one needs the 15amp 12V power, and one of the others needs ground...NONE are grounded to the electric motor bodies or seat frame by multimeter test (?). Which one is the 12V input, and which is ground? I can test with a 12V source with spade connectors (I do not have the harness from the donor car). But I should be able to at least get the seat powered. 1 and 3 are wide, and 2 is a narrow connector... Any clues appreciated???

[/url]

Last edited:

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
power seat connections 12V and ground

Cool. 1 is ground, and 3 is power. 8-way power seat works now. Nice upgrade.

Question answered. I just connected a battery and tested it. 50:50, so of course, I tested the reversed orientation first. I should mention that when I connected it in the correct orientation, there was an arc. Maybe there is capacitance in the motors. I doubt there is actual current draw when idle.

Last edited:

GEFP

Veteran Member
TDI
2- 2001 Jettas, 2 - 2002 Jettas (1 for parts) 2003 1.8t Jetta (parts) 2014 Jetta
So just out of curiosity...where do the 8ways come from? Would seats from a Passat work?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You can get them from GLX cars. I don't think Passat seat frames are the same.

The reason there are so many wires in that plug is that's where the position sensors for the memory mirrors connect.

-J

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I did this to my Golf. Yellow connectors are airbag, green is for the heated part of the seat.You've got the power angle covered. I tapped into the cigarette lighter for power. My seats came from a Passat, I had to swap out the frames.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
I did this to my Golf. Yellow connectors are airbag, green is for the heated part of the seat.You've got the power angle covered. I tapped into the cigarette lighter for power. My seats came from a Passat, I had to swap out the frames.
Mine came from a Jetta sedan. Bolted in easily, though there is a lift bind if you adjust forward all the way and then lift the front. Not sure what that is. Probably an easy fix once identified. I just move it back if I want to lift the front, then move it forward again..

I used the cigarette lighter as power source too. 15A circuit (just like the power seat circuit). I did add a single pole single throw on the 12V power line just in case a slow power drain appeared in the seat, but left the switch in the console until/if needed.

The rear seats are leather, but grey...Black Leather matches the door and dash trim pretty well actually:

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Good job, I really like having both heat and power on both the driver and passenger sides. I still haven’t hooked up the memory, maybe sometime when I have nothing to do.

norrinraddhr

TDI
Golf 4 TDI - 2003 Champ Edition (96kW)
Hello dubStorm,
have some questions about the memory seats because you have tried to power them outside the vehicle with success.

We have tried the same to check electric motors but we made direct contact on el. motor and everything works fine, but we can not move the seat backrest forward and that's what I need, the el. motor works but nothing is mowing?!

You made some experiments with the seats can you give me some advice... can the backrest moved forward with your method on T10 connector pin 1 ground (-) / pin 3 power (+) connected, is that possible?

Or it is possible somehow to move the backrest forward manual outside the vehicle?

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards!

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you hook power and ground to position number 1 and 3 from dubStorm’s picture above all the power functions should work except for the memory part. With those two wires connected all the motors will work. Red power, brown ground if I remember correctly.

There is a ratchet looking device that the motor for the backrest engages in. Make sure the teeth from the motor are engaged in the teeth for the backrest and neither are stripped or missing teeth.

norrinraddhr

TDI
Golf 4 TDI - 2003 Champ Edition (96kW)
We don't need a memory part, only that the backrest mows some cm forward to pack this seats in Kartons (80x50x50cm) for transportation purposes, that all.

Can you additional explain my where the ratchet looking device is and how to engages them, maybe with some pictures, I would be very grateful if you could?

We will try to connect the seat through pins 1 and 3 as you and dubStorm mentioned and explained maybe then works.

Thanks a lot Tdijarhead, this is a first useful information that I became. :)

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lumbar support. Manually turn the wheel and you will notice the seat will firm up or soften in the small of your back.

RwandyV

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI wagon
Resurrecting this old thread, needing help. 2002 Jetta wagon, Swapped out my cloth seats for electric seats. Passenger seat I was able to power and ground and the controls worked fine. Driver seat I attempted to power and ground as well and the buttons were non-functional. I powered the motors directly and they all worked fine, but when I wired up the red connector just like the passenger side I could not get the buttons to work. I noticed the wires for the seat buttons run thru the memory seat module.....is that the reason why my buttons aren't working? Is there a way to bypass the memory seat module? I DONT CARE ABOUT HEAT, MEMORY OR AIR BAGS, I just want to be able to move the seats front/back/up/down/tilt. Looking for some advise or feedback on what I might be doing wrong or missing. Thank you !!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can you post a picture of the wiring running through the memory socket? As the pics above show each module is separate so maybe someone did some creative wiring to get the memory working. What happens when you put power to the memory socket? Will everything work?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Heck with that me ol' Leatherneck, I want some of those Croatian seats! I would put a hand crank on the back side of the drive motor's rotor if I had to... :)

Douglas