Tdi 2.0 16v bkd manual gtb2060vklr build!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'm currently using CM SMF clutch kit and it's been working well...up until the moment I went for even more power.
Is it a 7.25 ceramic one? I remember you stating that you had one of those that you'd tried at some point. You can swap out the diaphragm spring in them for more clamp load. They make like 10 different clamp load ones.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Is it a 7.25 ceramic one? I remember you stating that you had one of those that you'd tried at some point. You can swap out the diaphragm spring in them for more clamp load. They make like 10 different clamp load ones.
Mine is 240mm.
I 1st ran a CM FX350..it lasted under 10,000km.
I then ran a Sachs organic kit..it lasted around 27,000km.
I'm currently running a CM FX100..it lasted around 30,000km.
*All of the above kits are with SMF*

I spoke to someone at SouthBend HQ and they have stated that "We discontinued our single mass conversion clutch kit for the 2.0 TDI cars" and "We started seeing complaints about transmission synchronizers wearing out prematurely. According to Sachs engineers, that's one of the reasons of keeping the dual mass flywheel. It seemed to have affected the 2.0 TDI engine/transmissions more than any other car. We now only sell dual mass flywheel kits for them".

I'm starting to think I should try a DMF kit. The transmission noises will almost disappear and the idle will be silent once more.
https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/K70446-01F-SS-TZ-10505/

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
In your post #73, I see brass synchros on the 1-4 output shaft. 02M transmission?
SMF will work fine and peace of mind knowing you won't need to eventually replace the DMF. You already have a fluidampr which keeps synchro chatter down quite a bit, but if you want it totally silent you should go back to DMF.

Last edited:

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
In your post #73, I see brass synchros on the 1-4 output shaft. 02M transmission?
SMF will work fine and peace of mind knowing you won't need to eventually replace the DMF. You already have a fluidampr which keeps synchro chatter down quite a bit, but if you want it totally silent you should go back to DMF.
Hey!
02q transmission (JLU transmission code).
SMF does work fine, however I have begun to hate (after 5 years) pressing the clutch pedal at a standstill due to the transmission making loud noises.
When I used the CM FX350 kit, the transmission noises on idle were there, but I increased the idle RPM to 950RPM and the noises disappeared.
Now with a CM FX100 kit the idle noises disappear at around 1300RPM at idle...

The Fluidampr didn't do much in regards to absorbing noises..just taking vibrations off the crank.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
@jetta_mkV
What airmass the Turbo make with 40psi?
You drive the Race 1287 nozzles?
Hey, sorry I haven't done any logs for a while now as my clutch is slipping. Once that is resolved I can continue logging and show the results.
Correct, I use those nozzles.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Hey!
02q transmission (JLU transmission code).
SMF does work fine, however I have begun to hate (after 5 years) pressing the clutch pedal at a standstill due to the transmission making loud noises.
When I used the CM FX350 kit, the transmission noises on idle were there, but I increased the idle RPM to 950RPM and the noises disappeared.
Now with a CM FX100 kit the idle noises disappear at around 1300RPM at idle...

The Fluidampr didn't do much in regards to absorbing noises..just taking vibrations off the crank.
you need a heavier flywheel
no practical way around it

you could reduce the compression ratio and retard the injection timing but that really isn't an ideal solution

what it is is the backlash of the gears snapping back and forth,
as the engine comes up on each compression stroke the crankshaft slows down a lot, so the idle gears snap into contact on the coast side of their teeth, then shortly thereafter the power stroke speeds the crankshaft back up again, snapping the gears back against the drive side of their teeth. Keep in mind this is only two "snap" noises, this pattern repeats itself twice per crank revolution, making that horrific growl.

This thought in mind, it is easy to see what a DMF is doing; isolating the massive shock load of the engine from the gears of the transmission through a soft coupling to a second flywheel mass.

More rotating mass will dampen these changes in crankshaft velocity just as surely, and in a much less failure prone manner.

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
Hey, sorry I haven't done any logs for a while now as my clutch is slipping. Once that is resolved I can continue logging and show the results.
Correct, I use those nozzles.

OK, thanks.
But what SOI and Duration are you driving with this nozzles.
40psi are good for 300hp to be smokefree at Lambda 1,2
But the nozzles cant deliver this IQ in a good durationtime.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
Hey all, quick one. A crazy idea got into my head to do a DQ conversion. I know that the DQ250 is the direct replacement, however can a DQ500 work?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
that is something I would love love love to be able to do on mine

go with the 250, it is well proven where the 500 is pretty fringe stuff at the moment. There was one guy on here taking about running a 500 a bit ago, don't know if he got anywhere.
ETA: and people are running like 8 second quarters with basically the stock dq250 which is harder than you'll ever push it

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
that is something I would love love love to be able to do on mine

go with the 250, it is well proven where the 500 is pretty fringe stuff at the moment. There was one guy on here taking about running a 500 a bit ago, don't know if he got anywhere.
ETA: and people are running like 8 second quarters with basically the stock dq250 which is harder than you'll ever push it
I was hoping the 1st comment would go against a DSG conversion... Hahaha.

Yeah I think a DQ250 would be better as well as it's proven. The other thing is, I really like my JLU ratios. I don't think I'll be able to find such ratios in a DSG, unless I'm wrong?!

I've attached the ratios from my gearbox, would you know if there is a DQ250 with same/similar ratios?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270899

is all I can find with quick googling, no mention of trans code, even...
top gear overall ratio is 2.39:1 in comparison to your 2.25:1
so a little less deep but really not bad at all when you consider it's an auto with the ability for quick downshifts, so in mixed driving it'll end up in that top gear a lot sooner than it'd be sensible to do with a manual

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=270899

is all I can find with quick googling, no mention of trans code, even...
top gear overall ratio is 2.39:1 in comparison to your 2.25:1
so a little less deep but really not bad at all when you consider it's an auto with the ability for quick downshifts, so in mixed driving it'll end up in that top gear a lot sooner than it'd be sensible to do with a manual
Hmm, I have tried an Audi petrol gearbox in my Jetta, while I was getting parts for the stock diesel gearbox to be rebuilt, and the gears were so short, I hated it.

I'm guessing that I'll also have to look into a DSG box off a TDI? Maybe the gears aren't as short as a petrol version?
I'll try find a mk5 125TDI and check the DSG part number.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
I know it's not the same but there's a guy on VWVortex doing a DQ500 swap on his big turbo R32. Start at post 1363 on page 55. Here's page 55. https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5813884-I-guess-its-about-time-Turbo-Build/page55

Hopefully that helps a little bit.
Thank you for your reply.
I was about to post saying that I just paid for a DMF FX300 from CM. They gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. They have also been very helpful since day one when I originally purchased a SMF kit off them.

I found all the parts required for a DSG conversion, and it cost me a bit more than the clutch I purchased, however it would have taken much longer to get everything working properly...[emoji23] unfortunately I don't have the luxury of keeping my car off the road for weeks/months...and I still love manual.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
OK, thanks.
But what SOI and Duration are you driving with this nozzles.
40psi are good for 300hp to be smokefree at Lambda 1,2
But the nozzles cant deliver this IQ in a good durationtime.
Duration is 45.

SOI is 20 @ 3500 RPM to 30 @ 5000 RPM.

tdi_my live

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia
That's brutal. 15 degrees after TDC. Do you know how high your exhaust gas temperature is? You kill the turbocharger. I would never drive around like this.

jetta_mkV

TDI
Jetta MK5 TDI-R
That's brutal. 15 degrees after TDC. Do you know how high your exhaust gas temperature is? You kill the turbocharger. I would never drive around like this.
Not sure what the EGT's are (the engine has only once gone into limp mode at 34psi 4 years ago), however the turbo has been and is coping well (water cooling helps). The only current issue I have is that I need to swap over the clutch as the current one has worn out.