Airlift 1000 Installed, questions for the Experts

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
I was able to warm up the bags in hot water and slide them into the coil springs fairly easily. I read and re-read and then re-read Airlift's instructions:

Air inlet nipple goes up.

When I'm threading the bags in, I'm looking at the top bump stop/spring seat for the coil springs. I'm thinking no way these flimsy feed line is gonna pass air once the weight of the vehicle is on the spring. I say to myself, "Self, keep it down, these are smart folks who have been doing these installs a very long time and must know what they're doing."

Doggone it all, I should have listen to myself!!!!

Once the weight of the vehicle is on the springs, I can't get air in or out of the system. I'm really pretty irritated with Airlift right now, their directions stink and now I'm gonna have to wrestle with them airbags expanded in the coil springs AGAIN.

I'm thinking I need a hard plastic or steel L-shaped fitting to get routed out past the spring seat/bump stop in order to be able to raise and lower the vehicle without jacking it up ever time.

What do y'all think? tia...

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I agree I think down would work better.

What kit did you use?

Have you called them, or E-mailed? Years ago I called them with questions and they were very helpful, on a RAV 4 set-up.

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
I would have called them on the weekend, but naturally they aren't open on the weekends. I did speak with them a few minutes ago. Very nice folks to deal with!

The 80753 kit we talk about here at tdiclub is for another vehicle. There is no Airlift kit spec'd for the Golf. This is a custom install which I really wasn't aware of when I began the work. The air lines will fit nicely through the bottom hole and won't bind at all, but that's not what the directions said to do. Now I have to yank those puppies back out and that is NOT gonna be fun.

Oh well, live and learn. Hopefully the learning doesn't cost you more than you can afford...

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Dave…

I apologies for taking so long to get this information to you. I returned from vacation to find almost 250 work emails and a lot more stacked up in my 5 personal email accounts. In addition I am in the process of an office move – phones, server, multiple systems, etc.

Under the fender liner, my Golf has topside coil spring bases that look something like this rendering. I drilled a hole at the point of the arrow and ran the airline behind the fender liner and down through the middle of the top coil spring rubber bumper.

I also trimmed the bottom lip on the upper rubber bumper (the lip that fit into the coil springs) so that the air bag top piece would sit flatter on the rubber bumper.

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Don,

Thanks for taking the time to sit down and draw that out. Looks like I have another choice now on where to run the air line... Getting them in and situated was pretty tough, I really wasnt looking forward to trying to get them out!

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
A few more quick questions for ya...

How much metal would I be drilling through? What runs behind that housing that I will hit with the bit?

I wonder if I just formed a small channel in the top rubber puck from the Airlift kit I might not have to drill any sheet metal at all...

So many questions, so little time....

somepunk22

Veteran Member
I recently installed mine. I had no problems putting the bags inside the springs without heating them. I asked a few members about routing as well, but never got a answer. I ended up routing the lines out the bottom and to the fuel filler like DP. Since install, I have driven on a few dirt roads where bottoming out was an issue, and I haven't had any problems with the lines. No problems filling, or releasing pressure. Thanks DP for previous air lift thread. Best mod for the $$. I'll try to post a pic later.

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
the piece that needs drilling is just sheet metal and then it is open all the way through the coil spring. I was careful not to nick the fender well as the drill bit finished its hole. I then primered and put some liquid rubber on the metal edges of the hole so it would not rub on the air line.

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
I asked a few members about routing as well, but never got a answer.
somepunk22...

I appologise if you tried to reach me. I was gone for 2 1/2 weeks on vacation and as I stated above, I am far from being caught up on my email or even checking out the forums.

I wish now I had taken pictures of the hole I drilled on each side and posted it with the original thread. I really hated drilling the holes, though I took good care to make sure they are rust and wear protected.

I didn't want to run the fill down because I drive in snow and ice for 4-5 months of the year and was afraid of tearing them loose.

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Re: Airlift 1000 Installed

Don is THE Airlift MASTER!!!

I just got the lines re-run through the fender-well bump out. I have elevation!!! I can add air, I can take air out, I can watch my Golf go up and down!!!!!!

Yeeeeeeha!!!!!! !!!

Thanks DON! (I even used the rubberized tool coating to coat the edges of the hole I drilled.)

One exceptionally good item of note that DON already pointed out, once you drill a teeny-tiny-itty-bitty little hole, it is open all the way through the center of the bump stop. It is a clear shot for the air line.

Way cool. Too cool.. VERY cool...

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Well, I just installed a kit with my shine suspension. I ended up routing the hoses thru the bottom. Works great.