OEM wheel locks 101

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Please add this to the FAQ please.

If you have factory wheel locks, take a look at the "key" adapter that is used to remove the locking lugs. You will see a number on that adapter - write it down in a safe place. The number is also on the end of your locking lug, but you have to remove it to see the number.

If you lose the adapter, you can go to the dealer, where the service department has a kit which has all the various keys available, and try one until you find yours.

Guess who just lost his adapter... :)

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
I lost my key a while back too. My local dealership had a key case that can hold about 20 lock keys, unfortunatley, they only had about 10 of those slots filled. LAME! I would have removed all the lock lugs right there on the spot and replaced them with a spare set, but NOOOOO. A replacement (key and lug) cost me $30 IIRC.

I thought the number written on the key equalled the number of ridges?

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I don't think so, as my key was a number 0 and definitely has splines :)
A replacement key and one locking lug was $21.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Bumping the thread(or start a new one?)

Lost my key somehow, maybe left it on the nut, maybe left it on the ground. Who knows, I just know its gone.

Dealership says, $50ish and they'll "cut it off and replace it with normal lugs" I assume they'll use the master set to get them off.
Anyways, id like to keep them on, and just order a key. Can anyone help?
Hell no, i didn't write down whatever number is on it.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Go elsewhere, they want to cut them off cause they don't have the key. I'm guessing most tire shops have the keys.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Go elsewhere, they want to cut them off cause they don't have the key. I'm guessing most tire shops have the keys.
Still a thing to figure out tbe "number" and just order a key or find that one on eBay?

None of our vendors are capable of sourcing these?

My new tires arrived, new steering rack and power steering lines waiting for installation, new bilstein HDs and jeep springs ready for install but cant do any of it.......

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I have two different keys, I don’t use either. How many splines are there on yours?

I got rid of those annoying lugs long ago.

If you need to get the lug off you can hammer a 12 point 3/4 inch socket over the lug and hit it with an impact gun.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I had mine removed and replaced with standard ones pre-delivery. Never had an issue with my wheels getting stolen in my life.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I have two different keys, I don’t use either. How many splines are there on yours?

I got rid of those annoying lugs long ago.

If you need to get the lug off you can hammer a 12 point 3/4 inch socket over the lug and hit it with an impact gun.
I'll take a look later.
May just get the amazon product, save me trouble down the road, maybe.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
I had mine removed and replaced with standard ones pre-delivery. Never had an issue with my wheels getting stolen in my life.
Yep, while I haven't ever lost one of the lug keys, I have always gotten rid of the dumb keyed lugs and replaced with the regular ones. The last thing I need is to have a flat some remote place and not be able to change a tire. OEM wheels, no one will ever "steal" one anyways. I have a coffee can collection of various keys and lugs removed from past or visiting VWs.
If you don't want to source extra non-keyed lugs at least put all four locking ones on one wheel. It reduces the odds of a flat happening on "that" wheel and saves time messing with the key at each wheel when changing/rotating tires.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Have you guys never lost 'anything' in your lives?
Sometimes, because you misplace an item it still makes sense to just replace the item and motor on. Got my first TDI in '09 never lost that key. Got my second TDI in 2012 and this is the first time ive had this issue.
Never have i found it annoying, difficult or time consuming to use the key to remove one lug per wheel. Just saying.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Ive never had an issue with my wheels being stolen either, so it is sometime to consider.

Then again, ive always had the locks, sooo, guess they couldnt be stolen if tried.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Most of us will just get rid of the locks, but some folks live in areas where people will steal anything. You should be able to count the splines and buy one on ebay (or?). When I tried this I was unsuccessful, the photo on ebay was not good enough. You could also make a mold from clay to use as a measure.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I got the regular lugs for my 2000 Beetle very soon after getting the car and joining TDI Club.

I'd have to go see what's on the 2015 Golf.

vintage red matthew

TDI
2004 New Beetle
I just today got my key in the mail, ordered from eBay. I ordered it before I found this thread. If I had read it first I might not have ordered it because some were saying that not only do some have a different number of splines they can be different diameters too. Not to worry it fit perfectly and the locking lugs are safely in the trash.

My lugs had 11 splines. If you want the key that I bought I will send it to you for free. I'll even pay the postage in the continental US. Send me a PM with your address. Just be sure that yours have 11 splines. If you could try to find out the diameter of the hole that might help.

Edit: My car is a 2004 Beetle.

vintage red matthew

TDI
2004 New Beetle
Yeah. Mine won't work for you but when I was looking I saw others that had 13 and 14 splines. I didn't look on Amazon but I'm sure they have them too. I paid about $11.50. You could probably get them from a salvage yard too.

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
I believe there are about 16 different designs used on the MklV's.
I think I read 12-14 different ones, so that sounds about right. Do you know if there are multiple designs of 13 spline?

We will see if the first key ive found will work, from TDIJarhead