Nav Install Update - It's Almost there

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Nav Install Update - It\'s Almost there

Ok everyone... I laid out the capitol, lets start putting our heads together to beat this thing. Here's what I have sofar. No Need for flames here, If you don't have something constructive don't add. A positve attitude will overcome this.

1) Unit fit perfect! Plugged in, Powered Up, controls the CD, Display Powers up, and gives a great deal of information. Station Presets are saved as the RDS ID. Really Cool! CD interface musch better than US.
2) FM works... Changes in .1 Increments, therefore you can get 104.2, 104.3, 104.4. US radios only change in odd Numbers.
3) AM is set to 9Khz interval. US is set to 10Khz. I listen to 680... Closest I can get is 684Khz, or 675Khz.... Must be coding issue, Anyone with an ECE version of the manual. Country Code?
4) German NAV CD Boots perfect, US-Audi Cd sits there and looks dumb. I tried the initial copying of the German Executables with the US database... Failed, wouldn't boot, Evidently the CD has to be bootable, now the question is how do I make an image copy of the German CD with the Database of the US CD.. Anyone? Buhler?

[ March 07, 2002, 12:12: Message edited by: SVTWEB ]

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Re: Nav Install Update - It\'s Almost there

If you know how to create a .iso of both CDs, you could upload them to me and I can check them out. Perhaps it's as simple as some hidden files on the CD were missing when you copied them over?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

E,

You're WAY smarter than me when it comes to PC's. So I'm just thinking out loud.

Did you try every variation when making the CD? Using a CDR, CDRW, making sure the session is closed, you know all the things that keep CDR's from playing on some players?

Is there any way to compare the US spec Audi Nav systems with the one you just got? Eventhough you are assuming the units are compatible, what if it's the CD AND the Nav system? Just thought this may eliminate the possibility that the units are different. Maybe different firmware on the Nav system?

That's all my brain could come up with, good luck.

Lito

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

I know the CD burning software I have is a little back-leveled, but it requires a specific procedure to go through to make a bootable CD. I don't know what software you're using. It may just take a little creativity to tell it to copy a combination of the files from both CDs at the same time. I'm thinking of telling it to copy the bootable German CD and "by the way" include these other files.

Are the database file names different? Does it have a specific directory where it looks for the databases? A file that lists the databases on the disk that it reads first? Lots of questions come to mind, but since I can't see from here what you're working with, it is a little difficult.
Can you give more details about the disks and their contents?

I'm hoping you get this working.

[ March 10, 2002, 07:21: Message edited by: MOGolf ]

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI

Thanks for the Help so far...This is what I have come up with. The German Software states that it is compatible with Audi, ALfa, Ford, VW...yada, yada, yada... But most importantly it says " Blaupunkt Navigation Systems:DX-N, DX-R 70"

The Navigation System sold in the US by Blaupunkt is the DX-N

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/travelpilot/travelpilot_index.html

I'm going to contact Blaupunkt tomorrow and see if I can find one of their map cd's....Were not dead yet!!! No if I could only find the correct coding for the reciever.....I miss my Talk radio!

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

Perhaps a call to Uwe about the receiver code?

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)

I'll try to get a set of tech notes and service bulletins for the Nav unit from the dealer in Zurich today. The frequency spacing, etc. is almost certainly controlled by software in the radio. Europe may have the 9 kHz spacing for AM, but other regions of the world where that nav unit is sold do not.

Michael

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI

Good news.... I just got off the phone with one of the best technicians I have ever spoke too at Blaupunkt. The Navigation system that VW uses is manufactured by Blaupunkt, we new that. What we didn't know was there are several encoding types that are used for the Navigational Maps. The Audi systems for sale in the United states use NAVC encoded discs. The OLDER VW nav systems in Europe use NAVA, NAVB, or NAVC encoded discs. The system that I have uses a NAVD encoded disc. Low and behold, the Blaupunkt DX-N system that is for sale in the United States uses NAVD encoded discs. While I, nor the technician know for sure if it works, we both compared the files systems and executable files along with the configuration files from my German CD with his US CD and they matched. I have ordered one $160.40 - Youch! Tonight I will be installing the antenna and the other wires required for the NAV system. Thanks to all who have helped so far... I also brought the Digital camera so I will be taking pictures of the install and documenting everything I can.

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09

Maybe there is a "Diag" mode you can get into on the radio, like on the non nav models (i.e. Holding a button in for 10 seconds, etc..) If you can find it, you may be able to adjust frequency stepping.

Also, look on the back of the unit itself. I've seen quite a few fancy electronics (Shortwave sets to be more specific) that still have an actual manual switch to flip for 9/10kHz AM stepping.

Akula13

TDI
jgordon6866

Web,
i know its a little late but for future reference there is a software package called "Nero" that will burn an exact bit by bit copy of your cd ncluding any copy protection and special file system files. i have heard it can be used to copy ps2 disks which all have a "bad sector" ncoding that prevnts copying the cd this might help.
ok now that you have the MFA and the factory nav whats next
k great work and kudos all the way
James

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI

The CD-Copying idea is a No-go due to the differnce in the software encoding. I have nero so thatnks for the input.

The new NAV cd will be here Thursday via UPS. I'm having it shipped to my work (Like I really work
) So I should know if it works by dinner time when I get home.

I have an email in Uwe Ross at ross-tech to see if he is aware of the software coding differences for the radio. I'll also paly with the VAG tonight and see what trouble I can get into.

So far I put this project at an 80%+ chance of succeding. The tell-tale will be the Blaupunkt software. All in all I have a gut feeling that we have a winner.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green

FYI: US FM radio frequencies are always odd, ie .1, .3, .5, .7 and .9 .

Did your Blau guy know about the AM frequency selection?

When is there going to be a GTG so us locals can see how this thing works?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Weedeater,

We just had one but SVTWEB hadn't gotten the unit yet. But we did see this:

and this:

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

E,

pursuant to our conversation this afternoon, did the code provide anything?

L

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI

Just got home... I'm going to go "Plug in" the VAG and start playing "Coding for Dollars" Hey it's only a 5 digit conde... so that means It's less than 100,000 Tries to get it right....

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI

Good News.. The Home-made Mapsoftware Works!!!! The voice for the directions is a Female with an English (uk) accent!!!!

1 hurdle down, 1 to go....

I believe that If I find the "login" code for the Radio Module, I will be able to do an adaptation to get where I need. If anyone can find the login let me know... (it's not 12233)

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow

There's no switch on the unit box, like someone on the vag-com list suggested existed on his van's Sony?

[ March 07, 2002, 18:57: Message edited by: VelvetFoot ]

Heinz57

Veteran Member

Is this a monochrome nav system - when was there a monochrome nav system ??? Currently have a line on a monochrome nav system with hardware and CD for 850 euro - reasonable ??? What other upgrades come with the nav system ???

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI

It's not monochrome, it's full colour. Picture is below. There are two different nav systems available, the 'basic' and the 'high end'. This system (shown) is the high end one. Heinz, I'll try and get a photo of a 'basic' system later today and post it for you.

[ March 07, 2002, 21:30: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI

Eric:

I think that antenna you have only supports 900 for the phone, not 900/1800. North American phone frequency (GSM) is 1900. There's a picture of the 900/1800 antenna with radio and GPS at this thread: Factory Navigation System - Well Here it goes (Page 1) Feb 20 2002 19:36

[ March 07, 2002, 21:49: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI

Update - 7 March 2002 15:00EST

Hot Items List.

1) Still waiting on coding procedures to allow AM/FM to function to US specifications.

2) Found that 2001.5 and later Models need 1 extra wire ran from Instrument cluster to give the nav unit the Pulse signal so it can determine speed. 2001 and earlier have this wire already. It is used for the GALA signal on the Gamma Radio's in europe.

3) Blaupunkt CD arrived... Unit spit it right out. BUT the Database structure was identical to shat of the Germany CD that I had. After 5 tries of burning different cobinations of files I think I figured out how to beat it. It now allows me to select a City, Street, Number, and Plot a course. When the map came up it showed my current position. I will know if it really works when I head home this evening. but all I can say is we are on the right track.

4) Antenna looks like something out of alien.

Anyone who can beg, borrow, steal, abscond, mis-appropriate, pilage, pilfer, walk-off with..Etc. A european service manual that INCLUDES the coding for this system will be greatly rewarded.

I'll keep everyone posted about the journey home... Sometimes I just amaze myself

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI

Michael - The part number on mine show's it the triplez 900/1800 With NAV... It looks a little different thatn yours, Maybe they used a different supplier.

TDISoon

Veteran Member

SVT-

You are the man. I'm impressed. The mod's look great, and thanks for ALL the information you've provided..

Good luck

KOMET155

Veteran Member
TDI
VW komet

Originally posted by Michael Moore:
Your reporter, doing a marathon EKTA and Service Manual session on the display at the Geneva Auto Show
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">so tell us, how many brochures do you have in that rucksack? what a guilty smirk you have on your face! you look like a cat that just ate the parrakeet!

[ March 08, 2002, 14:02: Message edited by: KOMET155 ]

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic

SVTWEB:
Try changing ADAPTATION CHANNEL 5 to Value 1 if currently 0. Let us know how it worked

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI

I would LOVE to change adaptation channel 5 ... but I don't have the blasted Login for the Nav/Radio module.... If someone can come up with the majic number we might have a winner.

Heinz57

Veteran Member

Have pics of the monochrome nav system for the 8 speaker audio system and it matches stock system. this is unused and complete and comes with a 2 year warranty from VW = $750 US - is this reasonable. Can you play regular CD's in the NAV Unit??

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI

I hope all of you get as much of a laugh from this as I did. I went to the Geneva Auto Salon today, mostly to have a look at the new VW Phaeton (see the engine pictures in the Euro TDI area, and the body pictures in General VW Discussion). I was planning to go to my regular dealer in Germany tomorrow, to finish doing the research for Eric about the wiring and part numbers for his fancy GPS navigation system.

Well, in addition to finding a whole lot of VW cars at the auto show (plus about 80,000 Swiss people), I found a complete EKTA and VW Service Manual computer set up within the display area. No-one seemed to be interested in it. I asked the VW guy if I could look at it, and he told me to go ahead. Soooooo… for the next 2 hours, I dug out all the wiring diagrams, tech notes, etc. about the navigation system. The booth bimbo came by and brought me coffee every 20 minutes, and more paper for the printer every half hour or so. She said she was happy someone was using it, because no-one else seemed to be paying any attention to it.

So, I now have about 150 pages of stuff (all in French) about the nav system that I have to sort through, scan, and send off to SVTWEB. I’ll try to post some of it here in a few days time, when I get back to North America and have some time to get it scanned decently.

I still have to go to Germany, because I couldn’t find the VAG coding instructions in the service manuals and tech notes.

Your reporter, doing a marathon EKTA and Service Manual session on the display at the Geneva Auto Show

[ March 09, 2002, 05:53: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]