B5.5 suspension help (not lowered)

spoonman4

TDI
2005 Passat Wagon GLS TDI 5mt
Hey all, I have recently purchased an 05 Passat TDI Wagon GLS that was converted to a 5mt (FHN trans code). I have been poking around the past few days looking for information on a good suspension upgrade. The issues I am having on my search is I do NOT want to lower my vehicle at all, heck i wouldn't be upset if I gained an inch or two... point being, I do not want to lose any ride height or ground clearance.

With the few forum topics I have found discussing suspension upgrades that do not involve lowering, the information I have pulled is either too confusing or conflicts with one another.

Desired end goal: Suspension performance upgrade to make ride more comfortable for commuting/HWY driving mostly without losing any ride height.

Thanks in advance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I put Bilstein HD struts/shocks on both my B5s years ago. They are stiffer but not harsh, and they hold up well. Everything else on my FWD sedan is stock and original at 210k miles. I upgraded the springs on my 4Mo wagon to the Rough Road suspension, which lifted it ever so slightly.

A good stock replacement strut/shock is the Sachs/Boge units. I have installed a few sets of the orange and gold Koni units that worked well too, but these due tend to rust badly if you live in an area with road salt (which in Texas, you don't!).

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
I'll be upgrading mine fairly soon too. Rock auto has bilstien touring class on sale right now. I am considering them, but might go with Koni's cheeper model. Had Bilstien struts on a BMW 535i and really liked them.

I added the Airlift 1000 kit to my car and it helps a lot if you are towing a moderate to heavy trailer.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I'm curious is spoonman4's current shocks are original and if so are they still in good condition (i.e., no leaks). My suspension is still stock and I am on the original struts/shocks, they are good, and I think the suspension and ride is just about perfect for highway cruising, at least to my derriere. I drive a lot on pot-holed dirt roads and the suspension does a great job handling them too. If and when mine wear out I will try to replace with OEM shocks.

spoonman4

TDI
I'm curious is spoonman4's current shocks are original and if so are they still in good condition (i.e., no leaks). My suspension is still stock and I am on the original struts/shocks, they are good, and I think the suspension and ride is just about perfect for highway cruising, at least to my derriere. I drive a lot on pot-holed dirt roads and the suspension does a great job handling them too. If and when mine wear out I will try to replace with OEM shocks.

I will have to check, I suspect they may be OE because they do feel like they were a good setup at one point, but are on their downhill side of life. Things are starting to get too bouncy and I can tell they are worn out.

spoonman4

TDI
I put Bilstein HD struts/shocks on both my B5s years ago. They are stiffer but not harsh, and they hold up well. Everything else on my FWD sedan is stock and original at 210k miles. I upgraded the springs on my 4Mo wagon to the Rough Road suspension, which lifted it ever so slightly.

A good stock replacement strut/shock is the Sachs/Boge units. I have installed a few sets of the orange and gold Koni units that worked well too, but these due tend to rust badly if you live in an area with road salt (which in Texas, you don't!).
Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to look at them, Based on your response alone, the rough road suspension is the front runner because I would prefer a slight lift if possible, do you know the cost of the parts alone for that setup? I read through the install threads for front and rear install.

I am 6'5" and weigh about 280lbs so any height I can get off the ground helps me when I exit the vehicle!

Last edited: