2002 Golf bumper sill protector

golf4

TDI
2002 Golf
Does anyone know a source for a rear bumper (sill) protector for a 2002 Golf? Also looking for door handle indentation protectors. Preferably black plastic not fake carbon fiber. Have a large Golden who'll be using bumper as step. Tried PG performance but was told their stuff is for euro-spec bumper. Thanks

golf4

TDI
2002 Golf
Thanks for the reference. Checking with Electrodyne for availability. I've purchased the invinca-shield film for the front of the car, just seems a little too light duty for the rear bumper.

Michael Moore

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Phaeton W12, 2015 Golf Highline (gas)
There were two different products that I purchased. First was the rear bumper sill protecter, which I bought in Germany. This is a VW part, so it might be available from the dealers in North America. Cost was only about USD 20.- Picture and part number are below. Golf4 is correct in his comment (above) - the normal 3M paint protection film is not as thick as the part VW sells to protect the rear bumper lip.

Protective strip in place, with backing paper still on so you can see the coverage area

After application. The shadow line is caused by the overhead light bulb. Normally you don't notice the strip

Box label, with the part number

The second product I purchased was a set of 3M Scotchcal strips that were pre-cut on a Gerber film cutter to fit the front end of a Golf. I purchased these from Invinca-Shield, but there are many other companies that make precut film kits. I bought the deluxe kit for my Golf, you can see what coverage it provides at this link: Precut Golf Kit They have many other kits for other years and models of VW's, just go to their product selection page and enter the year, make and model of your car, boat, aircraft, UFO, etc.

Somewhere on the TDI club BB I made a post that gave suggestions about installation procedures. Try searching on the keyword "Scotchcal" and see what you find. The most important suggestion is that you NOT attempt to install vertically adjacent strips on the bumpers the same day. Install one strip, wait a day, install the strip below it, wait a day, etc.

I was very happy with the service and customer support from Invinca-Shield, and I recommend them highly. Nice people to deal with in every respect, and very good after-sale support if you have questions. Plus, they use genuine 3M Scotchcal film. Some of the companies that offer lower prices use cheap knockoff film. The 3M film is expensive (because it is expensive from 3M) but it is the very best there is for rock and abrasion protection - both Boeing and Airbus use a slightly thicker version of the exact same product to protect aircraft landing gear assemblies. I just finished writing a detailed post earlier this week about protecting my motorcycle with 3M film, if you want to read it, you can find it at this link: My-Mc Discussion Forum: Honda: Honda ST1100: Economical paint protection solution! This article also provides links to additional information about the 3M film, including installation instructions and product specifications. The motorcycle BB works opposite to TDI club for post order, so scroll to the bottom and read the thread from the bottom up.

Speaking of my motorcycle - this will be my last post on TDI club until the fall, the motorcycle and I are leaving for Europe this weekend. I wish I could say it was going to be all holidays, but it won't be - I work in Europe, as most of you have probably figured out by now.

I hope you all have a wonderful, and safe summer.

[ May 09, 2002, 22:43: Message edited by: Michael Moore ]

nuke

Veteran Member
I'm getting one from Japan!

They sell a hard black rubber one in japan. It was a special group purchase, but I don't think there will be another group buy due to the difficulty getting stuff from Japan.

Mine hasn't arrived yet, but it should soon.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Michael,

It just won't be the same.

Take care of yourself, see you here in the fall

L