Air leak from back of engine when cold?

Shaggy

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS Jetta sedan
This is probably a fairly futile post, but maybe there's some common problem that I haven't heard of, or at least maybe someone can point me at what to look for...

Starting about 10k miles or so ago (3ish months with as much as I drive) the engine in my '03 starting making a little "psst" noise, in time with RPMs of the motor, only when it's cold. It "pssst"s about 1.5 times per second or so. I don't think it's an exhaust leak because it doesn't get any louder when the engine is under load. Once it warms up to operating temperature, the noise goes completely away. It sounds like an air leak, and it's coming from somewhere on the back side of the engine. It has gotten progrssively worse, it started out barely perceptible, and now it is quite obvious when I start the car in the morning. I used my mechanics stethescope to try to narrow it down, but the diesel makes such a racket that it's hard to pinpoint it. I stuck my hand down in there too to try to feel any puffs of air coming from anything, to no avail. I can't even be positive that it's an air leak, but it seems like if something was rubbing on something else, it would have let go by now. I haven't really noticed any other obvious symptoms as far as noticalble power loss or increased fuel consumption, and the engine still runs like a top.

So, in summary... "Psst" or "pshhht" sound twice every 3 seconds(ish), in time with engine RPMs, only when engine is cold, seems to be from rear of engine, no change when engine is under load, no other apparant symptoms, has gone from barely noticable to quite noticable over about 10k miles.

Not expecting much help here, but hoping for some...