running ross-tech and mircosoft surface?

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
running ross-tech on a mircosoft surface?

hi.
can you run ross-tech on a microsoft surface tablet? i bought said tablet for this specific reason. i downloaded the ross-tech program but the tablet says "you are not able to use this app."
should i have got a laptop? and now i understand why people despise mircosoft.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't see why not. It's just another windows based computer. The hardware has nothing to do with it. You of course need to plug in the vcds cable. I don't despise MS. It's most prevalent.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Compatibility mode. Run as administrator, things like that. You despise Microsoft? go back to your mac and cheese overpriced OS if you dont, or learn Linux.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
hi.
can you run ross-tech on a microsoft surface tablet? i bought said tablet for this specific reason. i downloaded the ross-tech program but the tablet says "you are not able to use this app."
should i have got a laptop? and now i understand why people despise mircosoft.
VCDS requires a computer that runs Windows 7 or later (actually XP works too, but it is no longer officially supported). The only other requirements are a genuine Ross-Tech interface and a USB port. If you have a HEX-NET interface you can use wi-fi instead of a USB port. I run it on both Laptops and tablets.
A few simple questions:
What version of Windows is on that surface (probably 10)
What interface do you have? (HEX-NET, HEX-V2, HEX+CAN, etc.)
What "app" does it say it can't run? The Installation program or the VCDS program itself? In other words, does the VCDS program install OK or is this what fails?

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. I despise Apple more than I despise Microsoft, but I'm not fond of either.

Last edited:

need4speed

Veteran Member
VCDS can definitely run in WINE on both Linux and OS X (under Homebrew).

I use winecfg to set it to run in WindowsXP compatibility mode. But I guess that's no longer necessary.

You have to find the system file for the interface, when you plug it in, it will be /dev/tty* (something), then write a soft link to ~/.wine/dosdosdevices/com1, and set your Options in VCDS to com1.

If I still had my real cable, I'd be able to give better instructions - but running the basic ODBC functions with an ebay cable and the free download works fine. (you just can't do anything fancy with it).

amafrank

TDI
'06 TDi jetta, '09 TDi jetta wagon, 15 TDi GSw
VCDS can definitely run in WINE on both Linux and OS X (under Homebrew).

I use winecfg to set it to run in WindowsXP compatibility mode. But I guess that's no longer necessary.

You have to find the system file for the interface, when you plug it in, it will be /dev/tty* (something), then write a soft link to ~/.wine/dosdosdevices/com1, and set your Options in VCDS to com1.

Thanks for that jewel of useful information. I just got a Linux laptop recently and was hoping it was possible to use the thing for communicating with the GSW.....now I know its possible.

Frank

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
JSWTDI09...to answer your questions:

I believe the OS is windows 10.

The interface I have is KII-USB.

The tablet won't let me run the VCDS installer.

Is there a way to run this tablet as a computer (normal mircosoft desktop) and not have all the "extra" features that come with this tablet. I tried "running as an administrator" with no luck. At one time I was quite capable with mircosoft, but I've been with Apple for several years now. If I could find a way to use this tablet like normal computer I think I could manage.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If I could find a way to use this tablet like normal computer I think I could manage.
This should be able to be done. To run a tablet like a laptop you need to add a keyboard and mouse. These might have to be bluetooth if you only have one USB port (or perhaps a USB hub). Then in settings just turn off "Tablet mode" and you will see a regular windows desktop.

However, I really do not think this should be necessary. I have a Windows 10 tablet (a Dell) and the install program (and VCDS) works just fine. When you try to run the install program does the error message give you any other info about why it fails?

One final point: If you are the registered owner of your Interface (you bought it new), Ross-Tech's tech support is excellent. I would be worth a phone call (or email) to them. They might have seen similar problems before.

Have Fun!

Don

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
What model of Surface is it? If it's any of the new ones, then it should work.

If it's an older one that isn't a Pro model, then it wouldn't be able to run any Windows desktop applications. Only stuff from the Microsoft store would work.

munly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI, 5 Speed
It is an older tablet. I called Mircosoft and Ross-tech. It won't work on this tablet. I bought the wrong one. I'll have to purchase another one.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It an older tablet. I called Mircosoft and Ross-tech. It won't work on this tablet. I bought the wrong one. I'll have to purchase another one.
Oh, I forgot about this. Your surface must be running Windows RT. In this case, you are correct, you bought the wrong one. Sorry.

Have Fun!

Don

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I have the first generation MS Tablet and it works fine.

It is probably the RT version of the tablet. You can't install much on those.

Bootcamp your macbook! It is pretty easy to do and that should work.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Linux with Win* in Qemu for the win . . . I have not yet found anything that won't work . . . and no virus vulnerabilities, unlike native DerpWare!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Windows RT is a discontinued product. It never worked very well. It is probably the second worst product that Microsoft ever released. It even made Windows ME look good. The only product that Microsoft ever released that was worse than Windows RT was Microsoft BOB (Google it if you don't know what it is).

Have Fun!

Don

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Every second operating system that Microsoft releases is garbage.

Think about it! True, no?
True windows xp was a succes then they relased windows vista which was garbage and then came the windows 7 which was great after that was windows 8 and it was awful as well now we have windows 10 which is good.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Every second operating system that Microsoft releases is garbage.

Think about it! True, no?
...and you probably noticed that they just skipped Windows 9 completely (possibly for this reason?):rolleyes:

Microsoft is awesome. Without it I wouldn't have a job. :D
This is definitely a valid point.

Have Fun!

Don