best clutch?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
7.25" quartermaster 'rally' twin disc here

pedal effort is lighter than stock
it is however pretty grabby, forget to rev match downshifts and you'll meet the windshield
broken a few transmission mounts now, too

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I have the SBC stage 2 Endurance in my car for approx 100,000 miles with my set up below. I'm very happy with it.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I have the SBC stage 2 Endurance in my car for approx 100,000 miles with my set up below. I'm very happy with it.
This is disappointing, I ended up with the SBC stage 3 (replaced a failed SBC stage 3). I had figured the stage 2 endurance would have been fine and provided a lighter pedal. I daily drive the car and it's rather unpleasant compared to the DC clutch in the Golf. I'm sure it will lighten up over time, but your comment here makes me mildly upset, haha!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
adjat84th, I ran my '02 Wagon with a setup very similar to yours with a Stage 2 Endurance (on a DMF, of all things) for 120K miles before the DMF gave up. It never slipped, even during track days. Now I have a milder setup and have a Stage 2 Daily. I'm making about 140/240 at the wheels and the daily works great: it's now been in there for about 75K miles. I like the engagement and pedal effort better on the daily.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Before the SBC stage 2 Endurance I had the original SBC Stage 3 (now is stage 2 I think), installed somewhere around 2008, actually bought it from you Peter. It lasted about 200,000 miles, at the time I had RC3+, stock turbo, sprint 520’s.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I tracked my car with the current set up last year at Roebling Road in Savannah in the summer heat. I’m going to the track again in September, will run 4-20 minute sessions Saturday, and 4-20 minute sessions Sunday.

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
I have a Sachs SRE and DMF on my set up below and apart from a slightly heavy pedal, it works faultlessly.

As others have said, will spin the wheels instead of slipping the clutch....

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
I bought the SRE pressure plate and springless SRE disc for my BPP (C6 2,7 TDI). It was a disaster. It neither held the torque and vibrates. It never really broke in. After it slips you kind of restart to break it in. Some kind of weird sinter material which also holds better after it heats up through slipping. In the process of putting a new stock clutch and detuning a bit. The LUK stock clutch was I think better. It slipped but it was 265K kms on it. SRE seems to be crap.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Is the SBC stage 2 endurance quieter than a VR6 set-up?

I've had both. Both are great clutches. Stock feel. The noise is from the 21lb SMF but is nothing really. The endurance holds more. The 5th gear can break first when you have the endurance. For power: VR6->Endurance->6speed DRW with stock clutch.