Boston area shops

tonyp

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Sedan
I'm looking to get my windshield and exhaust replaced. Can anyone recommend some decent places in eastern Mass to get these done? For the muffler I will need custom bent (mufflerectomy or dynomax, which would probably not fit the passat w/o modification). Thanks
Tony

Betzel

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I would suggest Shine Racing Service in Walpole or Brian's Garage in Needham. Both understand where you want to go with stuff regarding performance. SRS gets pretty busy this time of year with the racing season and Brian's claims they will change your oil or rebuild your engine, so Brian may be the better choice - I don't know. I'm headed over there myself soon. Another one is Metric Systems, although they are not so performance mod oriented. It seems like a great shop in Cambridge, but perfect if you only know how to turn keys and press pedals, if you follow :)

Regarding the windshield, I suggest J.N. Phillips. They have done two for me and I specified a replacement glass with a VW emblem on it - which they honored and my Ins Co. went along with (so far). I liked that.

Good luck

tonyp

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Sedan
Thanks, I know Brian's and Metric are both competent shops (haven't been to Shine). I might try this body shop for the glass, since they have good ratings: Hynes Auto, or else JN Phillips. I'll post what I find.

tonyp

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Sedan
Well the body work got done a few weeks back at a place called DeLeo's Garage in Cambridge. First, the negatives: Discovered two small, new scratches after the work. Dash was pretty messy and then Armor-All'ed in a bad attempt to clean it up.

They contracted out the glass replacement to a local JN Phillips, so I'm not sure who did the scratches and "clean-up".

The positives: Total cost was $200 below what Hynes had quoted me. The people who run the place are really decent, and most importantly the paint and windshield were done well.

So overall very good but not perfect.

The muffler work is next and I will probably go to a place called Lou's Custom Exhaust. They are in several locations with North Reading being the main one I think. They seem to be the biggest/only of their kind around here, with lots of fart pipe experience I'm sure.

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Lous custom is a good choice...I build my own, but if I was buying..I'd go there. Brian is good. he's reliable is not racing. In fact he used to work at srs years ago. Also at a place where I worked in brookline...now defunct. Stay cool man! /images/graemlins/cool.gif [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How do you know you are alive if you are not miserable?