Tdi tuning problems with malone

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
That's really hilarious. For what it does, VCDS is a bargain. For any other car brand, try to find a diagnostic tool with VCDS's capability that costs less than $1000.

Why should it be up to Ross Tech to teach someone with zero understanding of how the systems on their car function Automotive 101? As far as using VCDS, the Ross Tech website and WIKI are a VG resource and their customer support is second to none.

By far the most important tool in you tool box is knowledge and if you don't put in the effort to educate yourself, any diagnostic tool including VCDS is nothing more than a paper weight.

Haven't dug deeper on other car brands as I don't have any business with them at all. But... VCDS cable price went almost twice if yo udon't want to have any restrictions (VIN etc). Is it worth the new price? Definitely not anymore. Was $350 a reasonable price. Well, maybe yes.

They advertise that the "support" is included. Upon further investigation, it seems that they do not support any repair procedures on cars or sth like that. Instead, the support is for the program itself (information) and how to use it. If the OP does have some difficulties using the tool, I think it's reasonableto contact the support asking for assistance. Of course, I fully agree that one should really do their homework first and try to study the material.

Some my optinion (just from experience):
The original idea of otaining VCDS was to avoid visits to dealer and have some kind of support while coding the modules (e.g. disabling Hill Hold, Brake Disc Wiper, altering the "teardrop wipe" function etc).
I bought the genuine tool second-hand for ~70% of the new price. This is where I got screwed. The support is NOT transferable to 2nd (3rd or any other) owner. It does not clearly state that on their website, at least not in any visible and easily locateable page. Later on I realised that I don't have support. My cable with the software alone are worth the same as Chinese dongle. Would I have bought the new interface if I'd know this fact? Probably yes. Would I have bought a Chinese dongle if I'd know the same fact? Probably I would also consider is at an option.
Now the cables got revised. HEX+CAN no longer exist. It has been replaced by some new ones for almost double the price if you don't want any restrictions. Worth the money? Not anymore, I'd say. Why? Because the price has increased but no new supported functions were introduced. Basically I find it lacks a lot these:
-Guided fault finding;
-Read cluster/immo pin;
-Remove Component Protection;
-Flash modules with software files;
-Reading EEPROM of the modules;
-A lot of documentation relies on user input and feedback. New cars lack documentation of modules (recently scanned a Passat B8 2017 and almost none of them had any documentation (basic settings, measuring values, etc). Tried to submit some information but got rejected as I'm not entiteled for support (hey, but I supply valid information to improve their software - why is it so..?)
-Some (older) modules completely lack documentation. Label files are empty for years. From what I noticed, this a tendency. They seem not to document Airbag and ABS brakes modules at all.

It has got Pros too. Quick, easy to understand and use. It's the first tool of choice when you want to read/clear fault codes, do very simple coding, SRI reset etc.

If you need a really basic tool (for fault reading, clearing, simple coding) - there ARE decent tools for cheaper. E.g. OBDEleven. If you need some tool which you want to help avoid visits to dealership as much as possible, then I'd pay my money for VCP probably.

Appologies for going way offtopic. Let's not discuss what's better and what's not, let's concentrate on the OP's issue instead.