06 BRM P0299 boost video

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Very well presented. I just went through this recently on my BEW; turns out the actuator was not holding a vacuum. The N75 was heavily contaminated as a result; so I changed that also.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I have had a handful of BRM cars with leaky reservoirs in the valve cover. None of them had a deliberate hole, just wouldn't hold vacuum.

On one of the cars, I did indeed glue that cover back down as that appeared to be where the leak was occurring. But every subsequent time, I elected to just install an ALH vacuum reservoir ball since there was always one on the parts shelf that I could grab.

Incidentally, there is an updated BRM valve cover with a significantly better gasket design (similar to a BEW) which is easier to install and less leak prone in my experience. It may also address the delicacy of that vacuum reservoir cover dealie. 03G103469G

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
Great video by the way.

That particular problem showcases well. By that I mean it would have been less easy to make that video nice and concise if the problem had turned out to be a nearly invisible split in the turbo outlet elbow and it would have been all too short if it had turned out to be a dead actuator like it usually is. :)

Edit: you don't look anything like I've imagined you all these years. You know how your brain just invents an appearance for people you've never actually met? Same thing happened when I finally met Jimbote for the first time a few weeks back. I was like, who is this stranger?

Last edited:

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
thanks for the compliment on the video.

I'm getting old, and my "persona" is comes across pretty lame on camera. Some folks are natural (Eric O from South Main Auto Channel on youtube for instance) . I certainly am not. I guess some folks are born to be "V-loggers", but maybe I'm meant to be just a "Blogger". I get a lot of pleasure in watching youtube diagnosis videos, and so much neat tech stuff coming through my shop, I think its worth sharing.

I have some other content almost ready to post, but most of it is not Tdi specific (just Vw specific).

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I would like to view a video for doing a top-side change for a crank shaft position sensor on my BEW. I saw one for a BRM where the tech removed the oil filter housing, which I hope I would have to do. I have the 12 point 9mm 3/8 drive socket and an 18 inch extension and a universal. Don't know I can get a hand down underneath the wires and oil cooler hoses.

fwbkent

TDI
2001 jetta
nice video,this helped me eliminate any problems with the n75 on a beetle i'm working on.
still a low boost issue to resolve.