Change in time to start cranking ~ from "instant" to about 8/10th second

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Change in time to start cranking ~ from (more or less) "instant" to about 8/10th second. :mad:

... as the car is always in garage, and is in very tight quarters, I have a precise way.

Enter, adjust seat, etc., etc., key in ignition, foot firm on brake, turn key.

For about 29 month I got an (more or less) instant hard crank.

Now I am getting a silent small time delay to begin the crank.

Do not know if the battery is under warranty and do not care. If I need one, money well spent. :rolleyes:

All I want-need is dependability. Start and go is fine by me.

This morning I will test to see if the "crank time delay" is in progression.

Opinions? .... and thanks:D

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
For the push button start, your car is deciding to run the glow plugs for a second before cranking. It is probably cold outside when you are starting. Once the engine is warmed up, if you shut down and recrank it, it should be an instant start

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Glow plugs are operating. Normal. Mine did it yesterday, and it's in an insulated garage, too.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
+ to Glow plugs.Watch for the glow plug light.Car will only start after heating the Glow plugs if its cold outside.It will only start cranking after the glow plug light turns off.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I’m not sure if the KESSY cars even show a glow plug warm-up light? I haven’t noticed one, but then again I don’t have to think about it like when I was turning the key on my B4V or MkIV.

But yes, the delay is the glow plugs warming. Welcome to diesel.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,,,,,, 2010 X535D Diesel ,,,,,,,,,,,, 2002 Jetta manual TDI ALH (Sold)
I’m not sure if the KESSY cars even show a glow plug warm-up light? I haven’t noticed one,.
Oh I didn't know that KESSY cars don't have glow plug light.Thanks for the info :) and yes for sure low temp delays engine start a little.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
First

All my thanks to:

Darth, Indigo, Amt, & Blue hen

Yes, lately the garage temp has been a little low-ish as out side it is freezing.:p

... guess I am (hyper) sensitive to dying batteries in general. Goes back to a childhood happening.

... all my life I have retired batteries at the *first* opportunity. To hell with the money :mad:

... just coming out of OklieVille warmer weather, guess I will relax.

... BTW In the Summer, My garage is not air conditioned. Can get up to 100+++ -- from the west sun set

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh I didn't know that KESSY cars don't have glow plug light.Thanks for the info :) and yes for sure low temp delays engine start a little.
I’m not saying KESSY doesn’t have a light for sure. I just haven’t paid any attention to it.

amitsekhon

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m not saying KESSY doesn’t have a light for sure. I just haven’t paid any attention to it.
I have no idea as i never driven any car with KESSY.But my X5 35D diesel (with comfort access--similar to KESSY)has a glow plug light and it delays engine starting almost by same amount of time as my Golf TDI depending upon the temp.

I noticed that even on my non KESSY Tdi, engine start up is automatic electronically controlled.You just need to turn the key once and release it,and engine starts after 1~2 secs later automatically depending on the temp.Not like older cars where you have to keep holding the ignition at a starting position.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
... snip....

I noticed that even on my non KESSY Tdi, engine start up is automatic electronically controlled.You just need to turn the key once and release it,and engine starts after 1~2 secs later automatically depending on the temp.
KESSY sounds nice ~~ I own the cheapo (S) ~~ so I "hold" the key on until the crank begins, and the engine kicks. Wife's 2015 RAV4 LIMITED has a button ~~ one touch and bingo.

Not like older cars where you have to keep holding the ignition at a starting position.
'bout 38 years ago had a good friend who drove a VW Rabbit. It was loud, smelly, rumbled, small, crampy, but the MPG was over the moon compared to my rolling stock at that time.

....sooooo on our 300-400-500-600 miles road trips, I bought the fuel, he furnished the car:D:D

... on most trips we could make it back to Tulsa without a fill-up :eek:

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I own the cheapo (S) ~~ so I "hold" the key on until the crank begins, and the engine kicks.
Totally unnecessary. Just turn the key to "start" then back to "on" and then let the computer sort it out.

jimbo1102

TDI
Beetle
So for clarification, I have a 2015 GSW TDI in SEL trim with pushbutton start, to the best of my knowledge there is no glow plug light. I am simply hitting the button and if it is cold enough the car will delay the start to warm glow plugs as needed.

Am I correct in this assumption?

I have owned 2 previous VWs (2003 New Beetle convertible and 2014 Jetta SW 2.5) but this is my first TDI and I love it.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So for clarification, I have a 2015 GSW TDI in SEL trim with pushbutton start, to the best of my knowledge there is no glow plug light. I am simply hitting the button and if it is cold enough the car will delay the start to warm glow plugs as needed.

Am I correct in this assumption?

I have owned 2 previous VWs (2003 New Beetle convertible and 2014 Jetta SW 2.5) but this is my first TDI and I love it.
There is a glow plug light, but you needn’t be concerned with it (unless it flashes while running), as the car times the crank to after the glow plugs warm automatically. If you blink, you’ll miss it.

Afer a prior poster confirmed there is a glow plug light, I did make a conscious effort to look for it upon my start this morning, and yes it’s there, lost in many other lights that come on when you press the start button.

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
Sitting outside, I had 2 scenarios...

Ice cold.

Jump in, push button. "starting engine display " for about 3-4 seconds...

Then the starter grinds for probably 6-8 seconds and finally lites up.... With a miss fire/skirt slap once or twice.

Think the ecm didn't quite run the glow plugs long enough for ambient temp?

I'm thinking it was a super cold night, and sitting outside in the sun the temp sensor read 30s, when really the block was a lot colder...

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
if it is a cold day, get in push the button without the brake to turn on all the electronics. The glow plugs will be working. Listen to some music for 30 seconds. Then press the brake and start button to crank. It works smoothly. If you know it's going to be cold and need the glow plugs, why not do it yourself

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My 2013 Passat SEL had kessy and you just pushed the button once and let go. Everything was automated after that. My new left over 2015 Beetle is different in that I have to hold the button until it actually starts now. Wonder why the change?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
My 15 GSW just push button once and it starts.
Either push clutch in first or real soon after pressing button, it starts either way.
Sometimes it may wait a second or so before glow plugs are satisfied before cranking, all computer controlled.

Then infrequently either warm or cold it may crank over several revolutions, couple seconds, before running, I suspect this is some engine or component problem.
Otherwise it starts in one or two revolutions, nearly instantly even when very cold.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My 15 GSW just push button once and it starts.
Either push clutch in first or real soon after pressing button, it starts either way.

Sometimes it may wait a second or so before glow plugs are satisfied before cranking, all computer controlled.

Then infrequently either warm or cold it may crank over several revolutions, couple seconds, before running, I suspect this is some engine or component problem.

Otherwise it starts in one or two revolutions, nearly instantly even when very cold.
Regarding any car "I" own ~~~ I want it to instantly *crank* and *instantly* kick

I throw money at batteries ~~ if I think there might-may-could be any doubt.

In general, a battery cost approx $1.50 per month. If I waste a buck ~~ no sweat -- Peace of mind for me (and for my wife too)

The part I do not understand is I do not remember spending and money on the other electric components for last 25 years. Starters, alternates, ignition switches, cables, corrosion issues, etc.

.... Last 25 years all my units have not been gm nor ford

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Time to get ride of that ride ASAP and admit the car is smart than you.

...... my car is smarter than me. :D

..... so is my wife's car:p

..... and my 12 year old desk top computer,:p

..... and my wife's iphone 6:p

..... and 'bout all kids under the age of 11-12:eek:

..... so there -- and have a good day

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My 2013 Passat SEL had kessy and you just pushed the button once and let go. Everything was automated after that. My new left over 2015 Beetle is different in that I have to hold the button until it actually starts now. Wonder why the change?

...now I just buckle up and hit the key (once to the right) and let go.

...works like a charm

...more or less instant when warm-ish

...fraction of second when freezing

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I counted to three for my GPs to warm up this morning after the car sat outside overnight with a low of -1F.

Not bad.

Startup wasn't bad either. These cars have come a long, long way over the years.