2000 Jetta TDI Multiple Error Codes

TDPotvin

TDI
2000 VW Jetta TDI
Purchased used in 2012 and have had great experience so far! Have been trying to clear a glow plug heater circuit fault. I have replaced the glow plugs, glow plug wiring harness, and glow plug relay. I purchased the VAG-COM program and found some other problems which do not show up with just a regular code reader. These are what I currently have listed from the VAG-COM:

Address 01: Engine

2 Faults Found:
16764 - Glow Plug/Heater (Q6) Circuit
P0380 - 35-10 - Malfunction - Intermittent
17964 - Charge Pressure Control
P1556 - 35-10 - Negative Deviation - Intermittent

Address 15: Airbags

1 Fault Found:
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Address 17: Instruments

1 Fault Found:
01039 - Coolant Temperature Sensor (G2)
30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

Address 46: Central Conv.

4 Faults Found:
01329 - Convenience System Data Bus in Emergency Mode
35-10 - - - Intermittent
01331 - Door Control Module; Driver Side (J386)
49-10 - No Communications - Intermittent
01179 - Incorrect Key Programming
35-00 - -
00944 - Heated Exterior Mirror; Passenger Side (Z5)
35-00 - -

My question at this point could this be a computer problem? I had 2 problems I was trying to fix I did have a problem with the antilock braking system I did a full break job replacing rotors, calipers, pads, all sensors, fluid flush. That code is cleared and antilock braking system working perfect. I have looked into replacing the engine control module, but if I understand that needs to be programed to the vehicle. I have only used the VAG-COM to scan, not to make any changes. I had some suspicion about the vehicle when I purchased so had the police run Vin. check came back clean. I tried purchasing a spare key from VW dealer, when it came in it would not turn in the lock or the ignition. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
I'd think that if you can verify that one of the problems doesn't really exist physically (testing/inspection) then one could likely surmise that the ECU is being flaky (perhaps a ground issue).

You can readily check to see if the passenger mirror works by tuning on the heating function and then checking to see if it heats up. If it works then the ECU is being stupid. If it doesn't work then it's still possible that it's not the mirror, that it might be a general grounding issue.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Now that you've recorded the error codes, use the VCDS to clear all of them.
Eyeball/check as many of the connectors for the various components.
Use the Ross Tech wiki to troubleshoot the ones that come back.
ECU failure is rare.

Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Bob, I'd thought that he'd already cleared codes? If not, then, yes, as you said:D