FrostHeater Plug-in Mod: My Solution w/pics

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
I wasn't happy with the tuck-it-in-the-grill method of storing and using the plug for my FrostHeater so I decided to mount a dedicated plug-in device.

The unit I used can be seen here though I cannot remember where I purchased it. I think I paid about $35 for it:

http://www.google.com/products/cata...m=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=4642728895421430288#

It is Hubble Part Number HBL61CM64.

The process:

I chose the front bumper driver's side for a couple of reasons: First, it's the side I see when I get in the car, secondly, it just looks correct to me there, and thirdly, it's where the FrostHeater cord already resided, and fourthly, this area is the flattest area on the bumper.

Prior to install, I painted the device with touch-up paint matching my car. It was a clumsy process but it came-out more than adequately. I spray clear-coated the device a couple of times after the paint cured overnight.

As for mounting: First, tape-off the whole area you'll be working on so that there aren't any scratches and so you can mark-up the area with your sharpie or pencil. I used the blue masking tape and that worked well.

After measuring carefully where I wanted the hole (this was nerve wracking part -- second in "Oh-Sh!t" factor only to once drilling a large hole through the hull of a 36 foot sailboat) I drilled a 2 inch hole using a holesaw in the correct spot. The bumper is quite soft so the drill goes through in seconds. Just be extra careful, steady and grip the drill firmly.

After drilling the main hole and using the weather-sealing gasket as a template, I marked and drilled the four mounting holes using the appropriately sized drill bit. I should note at this point that I abandoned the included mounting screws and instead, went with stainless machine screws, lock washers, and nuts. I removed the tape before continuing, of course.

The rest was quite straight forward: insert the gasket into the hole, and then thread your FrostHeater cord (with plug freshly cut-off) into the back of the gasked (inside the bumper). I then stripped the three wires and crimped-on terminals that then were tightened-down onto the device. This made for a nice, firm, attachment. So you've got a wire coming through the back of the gasket and onto the device. Then it's just a matter of sandwiching the gasket between the device and the bumper, lining-up the holes, and through bolting with the stainless hardware.

Last steps were to seal the wire entrance hole from the inside of the bumper with some liquid electrical tape and to secure the cord to the horn using zip ties thereby creating a drip loop so that any water doesn't drip into the device.

Took less than an hour start to finish (minus the painting the day before). I placed the front of the car on ramps in order to crawl under the bumper and everything was quite accessable that way.

Here's the finished product:

Of course, I cannot assume any responsibility or liability for any problems you may encounter attempting this. Do this at your own risk.

Cheers

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
looks good, maybe a bit over stated, but looks like it'll hold up for year and years to come.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Thanks, 740. Actually, from a standing and walk around the car perspective, it's not at all bold. Those are in your face, ground level photos.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
interesting and well done- thanks for sharing.
I think those plugs are available at RV / camper stores.
I suppose the tradeoff is how one feels about cutting a hole in the fascia.

NukeIT

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 VW Golf TDI
Looks awesome. If I lived in a cold weather climate. Would be the way I would go.

Souzafone

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 Jetta A4, Whitish
Marinco makes one for marine use that has a rubber weather tight cover. This one is held on from the back by a large nut, a hole saw allows it to mount in the lower grill securely and unobtrusively.

The J

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon
I'd spray the top of the screws black to blend in a little more.

Nice write-up and install. Looks good!

I wonder if it's possible to install a plug behind the bumper sidemarker light?

Those lights come out pretty easily, but you'd need it to hinge and locking tab instead of just popping it into place like they are normally. It would be really sweet to flick a tab and hinge out the sidemarker to reveal a plug behind it.

FireStorm005

TDI
1999 Golf GLS TDI
Shouldn't go anywhere, but I personally would pass on putting it there on anything but a dark colored car. Anyone ever tried putting one of the round ones in a fog light bumper grille?

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Oly:

I like your solution. I use a similar, but chrome plated one on my big trucks. The only downside is that it is getting harder to find heavy duty cords with single receptacle on the end. Been thinking of something less obtrusive for the Jetta, so your post is quite timely.

BTW: we had a not-so-bad solution to this many years ago. It was a retractable cord reel sold as the 'Hidini' (no kidding). But, it still had that goofy plug sticking out the front (as does my wifes car at this very moment). The current normal thing to do is put the connector inside of the engine room and just pull the cord out for winter, but then you end up with a big rubber plug flapping around and making a real mess all winter.

Pat

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Is the cover secured to anything other than the bumper cover? What I'm getting at is does the surrounding plastic flex when plugging in/unplugging?

My only concern would be putting pressure/stress on the plastic of the cover in very cold weather.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Is the cover secured to anything other than the bumper cover? What I'm getting at is does the surrounding plastic flex when plugging in/unplugging?

My only concern would be putting pressure/stress on the plastic of the cover in very cold weather.

No, it's very firm. The outer portion of the device is through bolted and sandwiches a gasket. So with flat washers on the other side and all of them snugged firmly down, I see and feel no play. Also, for what it's worth, I always keep my plugs/recepticles slippery and clean.

Hope that answered your question!

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I've got basically the same install as Shizzler, but I installed my Marinco outlet directly into the existing lower driver's side grille. It's been held in with friction only for the past 5 years without issue - I never got around to securing the marine outlet into the grille insert with RTV or silicone.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Glad to hear the different solutions.

Since the install I did, there have been no problems. The inside of the recepticle is nice and dry (I worried about the door letting moisture in) and works wonderfully. At this point, I think I can heartily recommend this mod.

BTW -- I loop the extension cord over the driver's side mirror so that it is evident when I get into the car. A side-mounted plug-in isn't something you'd want to leave plugged-in when you drive off!

slug1121

TDI
2004 BEW Jetta 5spd (x2), 2005 GLI BMP
Oly, I do really like the idea; it turned out looking really good! Has anyone tried mounting an outlet behind the grille emblem? I thought this would work nicely if the emblem was then mounted on a hinge.... Something I'm probably going to try. I'll post pics if I manage to follow through.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
My advice for ANY frostheater user is to use good winter rated cords that are brightly colored. When I lived in Central Wisconsin and I drove a 1981 Plymouth reliant with a block heater, I once backed up and the cord went like a whip! Didn't wreck anything other than my 23 year old ego...at the time in 1981-82. Today I use bright orange ones and make sure I have a frostheater plug cap on to prevent derbis from getting the outlets smagged up.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Oly, I do really like the idea; it turned out looking really good! Has anyone tried mounting an outlet behind the grille emblem? I thought this would work nicely if the emblem was then mounted on a hinge.... Something I'm probably going to try. I'll post pics if I manage to follow through.
That would be an awesome mod if done right. I'll be interested in following your progress!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Here is my version. I used a hole saw on a drill press to keep it strait.The socket is held in by the back nut.I can do a write up if some one see how i did it.The next one, I do I will try to put were the fog light goes.I think it will look nicer.

Last edited:

JPDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5Spd
Shizzler
How are the mounting screws for your covers attached to the car?

What material are the covers made of?

Thanks for the info.

slug1121

TDI
2004 BEW Jetta 5spd (x2), 2005 GLI BMP
That would be an awesome mod if done right. I'll be interested in following your progress!
I have altered my plan a bit and decided to turn the front emblem in to a twist-lock cover for the outlet, now I just need to come up with a reasonable latch system to prevent it from spinning out... I think it will work better in the cold weather than a hinge system would though. Thanks by the way, I will make sure to keep you in the know!

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
That looks good. Nice job,just keep your extension cord short as possible.