www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 29th, 2018, 18:32   #1
Drunkaroos

Fuel Economy: Avg. 40 mpg
Default Non VW diesel turbo upgrades

The time has come to replace the stock turbo on my 06 Jetta with something better. BUT... the shop I was going to buy from increased the price of the turbo I wanted from 699 USD to 999 USD, which I cannot reasonably afford with my high school budget.
The solution I was thinking of was buying a diesel turbocharger from a similar VAG model or even something like a Cummins and slapping it on there. I know it will require some work and maybe some custom fab work + ARP head studs but the end result will still be cheaper than overpaying for a PD140 turbo (and hopefully more powerful).

My question is HOW MUCH work will it take to hook it up and make it work properly without blowing something important? I know I'll need at least some custom piping, maybe a different intercooler and some oil feed lines, but how will I attach to the head? Has anyone done something similar to this?
Drunkaroos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 19:58   #2
Enabled
Veteran Member

You'll do all that work and gain nothing in terms of power.

Fuel is what will give you the extra energy for power. Slapping on a larger turbo will do nothing to fuel.

It will not be cheaper to rig a turbo and get it to run right, and get something meaningful out of it.
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
-BMW 328d wagon (Self tuned ~230hp)
Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 20:02   #3
Drunkaroos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabled View Post
You'll do all that work and gain nothing in terms of power.

Fuel is what will give you the extra energy for power. Slapping on a larger turbo will do nothing to fuel.

It will not be cheaper to rig a turbo and get it to run right, and get something meaningful out of it.
So you're suggesting I put the money into nozzles instead? I have considered them in the past but haven't pulled the trigger yet since the "calibration" seems to cost about as much as a set of nozzles. Do you actually need to calibrate them or is it just a scam?
Old April 29th, 2018, 22:24   #4
TDIMeister
Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast
Moderator at Large

TDI(s): TDI

Do you NEED to replace the turbo (blown, leaking oil or not making boost?) or is it just a WANT?

First step for performance enhancement for your 06 PD TDI is an ECU re-map on all-stock hardware. I've been out of the market for a number of years so I've lost touch as to how much they cost, but go with any one of the reputed tuners here and don't attempt to go cheap with eBay or dubious and obscure sources.

TDIMeister's German-imported 1998 Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
TDIMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2018, 22:55   #5
Drunkaroos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Do you NEED to replace the turbo (blown, leaking oil or not making boost?) or is it just a WANT?

First step for performance enhancement for your 06 PD TDI is an ECU re-map on all-stock hardware. I've been out of the market for a number of years so I've lost touch as to how much they cost, but go with any one of the reputed tuners here and don't attempt to go cheap with eBay or dubious and obscure sources.
Only reason I don't have it tuned right now is that I have it fully straight piped and I've heard that boost spikes can occur. The turbo is leaking a little oil but not enough to need replacement so its more of a "want" thing. I also kinda want something dumb but fun that I can work on with my father and trying to put a cummins turbo on it or something gets him all excited.
Old April 29th, 2018, 23:18   #6
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Well, your 06 is going to look for a vane position sensor signal (the plug on the vacuum vane actuator can) that no Holset (Cummins) turbo has. Selecting a turbo is more involved than simply slapping one on that tickles your fancy - size does matter and too big almost always brings remorse and regret on a daily drive when you lose the responsiveness you enjoy with a stock-ish size.

There are good upgrade options but given your stated high-school budget, you'd best get a remap first and save up for good hardware upgrades in the near future. A good tuner is well aware of the BRM boost creep issue especially with a straight pipe and this can be programmed not to be an issue at all.

Probably before your time but Forrest Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does." There's fun and enlightenment to modding TDIs and there's the plain dumb approach. I lurked and first joined TDIClub in my early 20s all bright-eyed and idealistic. Now at 41, with 2 postgraduate engineering degrees (incidentally a masters with turbocharging as my thesis subject), I can say I've seen quite a bit on both sides of the smart and dumb spectrum.

Are you receiving unwelcome sales solicitations or inappropriate, harassing messages in your PM? You can report them by pressing the image on the top right of the message in a similar way as reporting inappropriate posts.
Old April 29th, 2018, 23:59   #7
Drunkaroos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIMeister View Post
Well, your 06 is going to look for a vane position sensor signal (the plug on the vacuum vane actuator can) that no Holset (Cummins) turbo has. Selecting a turbo is more involved than simply slapping one on that tickles your fancy - size does matter and too big almost always brings remorse and regret on a daily drive when you lose the responsiveness you enjoy with a stock-ish size.

There are good upgrade options but given your stated high-school budget, you'd best get a remap first and save up for good hardware upgrades in the near future. A good tuner is well aware of the BRM boost creep issue especially with a straight pipe and this can be programmed not to be an issue at all.

Probably before your time but Forrest Gump said, "stupid is as stupid does." There's fun and enlightenment to modding TDIs and there's the plain dumb approach. I lurked and first joined TDIClub in my early 20s all bright-eyed and idealistic. Now at 41, with 2 postgraduate engineering degrees (incidentally a masters with turbocharging as my thesis subject), I can say I've seen quite a bit on both sides of the smart and dumb spectrum.
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely look into a proper remap (most likely from Malone). I also enjoyed the Forrest Gump reference: I love movies from the 80's and 90's and kinda prefer them to most modern films
Old April 30th, 2018, 05:20   #8
Enabled
Veteran Member

The tune has heavy influence on how boost spikes happen, even if you don't have any exhaust. A copy paste tune will not usually account for your specific modifications, but may work "fine".
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
-BMW 328d wagon (Self tuned ~230hp)
Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2018, 18:16   #9
Yourbuddysatin

What turbos come on PD anyways? I don’t know much about them newer fangled tdis.
Yourbuddysatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2018, 20:44   #10
keaton
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2005 Mk5

boost creep on a BRM happens when you remove the CAT. if you have a straight pipes with the CAT its not an issues. I ran my MK5 TDI that way for years without issue.
1960 El Camino (project)
keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 22:02   #11
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkaroos View Post
I'll definitely look into a proper remap (most likely from Malone).
Or you can dive right in, get the chinese MPPS cable and learn a whole bunch, smacking your head against every hard surface it'll reach the whole time!
I came out the other end of that one being mostly able to get the car to do what I want after only about a year of on and off rage inducing confusion.

To answer your initial question of slapping some other turbo on it, just about anything will work as a single with acceptable driveability. Little GT12s to relatively large HX35s. Making them actually fit does kind of mean you get into other expensive hobbies like metalworking in general. Lots of tools to buy.
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2018, 04:14   #12
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkaroos View Post
The time has come to replace the stock turbo on my 06 Jetta with something better. BUT... the shop I was going to buy from increased the price of the turbo I wanted from 699 USD to 999 USD, which I cannot reasonably afford with my high school budget.
The solution I was thinking of was buying a diesel turbocharger from a similar VAG model or even something like a Cummins and slapping it on there. I know it will require some work and maybe some custom fab work + ARP head studs but the end result will still be cheaper than overpaying for a PD140 turbo (and hopefully more powerful).
My question is HOW MUCH work will it take to hook it up and make it work properly without blowing something important? I know I'll need at least some custom piping, maybe a different intercooler and some oil feed lines, but how will I attach to the head? Has anyone done something similar to this?
Since I wish I had someone besides my father tell me this when I was in your shoes: STOP WASTING MONEY ON CARS. If you are in high school, concentrate on that. Get educated and get a decent job, vocational, higher education, whatever. Learn a trade, do something that gets you into a comfortable position. THEN you'll be able to better decide what you want to play with... cars, girls, whatever...

Just keep your Jetta in good, stock, working order. Don't abuse it. Don't neglect it. You'll thank me later.
Old May 8th, 2018, 08:41   #13
TDIMeister
Moderator at Large

Amen.

Old May 8th, 2018, 11:13   #14
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Yup. Spend the money on proper maintenance, and leave well enough alone in terms of hardware and software. You need "doesn't break" much more than you need "goes fast".
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 22:51   #15
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Guys, stop being mean to the poor chap ! We al were in his situation at some point ! That’s how one learns the hard way, you break it then you fix-it ! Not everyone likes a collar job and a stock company car !!!
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote