2009 Jetta TDI Most Miles/Tank?

MarkShort1958

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Quick Storm said:
how many gallons are you guys putting when you fill up? low fuel level light comes on and the most I have put in is 13.8gallons. Its hard to see how much more I can fill up. I used to fill up to about 2in from brim of filler neck on the duramax I had.
I seem to average 622 miles before I fill up (manual tranny). But my fillups usually coincide with being near good diesel prices.

I agree with Oldman52. While we may not acheive as the mileage of older diesels, we're getting a lot of value in a car that's quieter, odor-free, well-made and fun to drive (yes, when I am not driving like a 'granny' <g>).

By the way, I can hear my neighbors' '84 diesel Puegot wagen almost 3 blocks away. It's still going strong but provides a stunning contrast in diesels' improvement over the decades.

OldMan52

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2009
MarkShort1958 said:
While we may not acheive as the mileage of older diesels, we're getting a lot of value in a car that's quieter, odor-free, well-made and fun to drive
Well said MarkShort. According to JDPower.com web site 2009 car ratings for PERFORMANCE, DESIGN,AND COMFORT, the Jetta beats the Toyota Corolla, Dodge Caliber, Hyundai Elantra, Subaru Legacy, Honda Civic, Mitsubishi Lancer, Mazda 3, Chevrolet Malibu ,Ford Fusion, Toyota Camry, Chrysler 300, Chevrolet Impala, Toyota Prius, and Honda Accord. And it evens with the Mazda6. If this is not a great car…!
And I don’t work for Volkswagen, just in case somebody asks.

Quick Storm

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Quick Storm said:
how many gallons are you guys putting when you fill up? low fuel level light comes on and the most I have put in is 13.8gallons. Its hard to see how much more I can fill up. I used to fill up to about 2in from brim of filler neck on the duramax I had.
i'm gonna quote myself and re-ask the question, of how many gallons are you guys putting in the tank after low fuel level light comes on. the most I put in was 13.8gallons.

88BlackZ-51

TDI
stuckless said:
Thanks for the feedback guys however my Jetta has 16,000 miles now so it's broken in. I just got 47 mpg last night with no air conditioning going 58 mph. But I am still convinced the 2005 and 2006 TDI's are better with not 90 hp but 100 hp and 175 tourque. WIth the 2006 TDI I could go 75 and still get 48 mpg but no way can a 2009 or 2010 going 75 get 48 mpg.
The older generation is better on fuel! I am totally convinced. I would get around 630 miles on a tank in my 04, and I am not even close to getting that in my 09.

In saying that, the 09 is a better car all together, but I wish it was a tad bit better on fuel.

flatout

TDI
2009 JETTA
Quick Storm said:
i'm gonna quote myself and re-ask the question, of how many gallons are you guys putting in the tank after low fuel level light comes on. the most I put in was 13.8gallons.
My average fill up has been 14.01 gallons.

Diesel_Mikey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
546 miles on 12.0 gal during my summer road trip to Toronto is my best so far. I do too much stop-and-go to top that on a normal tank, unfortunately.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
last tank that got me 604, ended up putting 13.2ish, but it wasn't to the tip top.

flatout

TDI
2009 JETTA
colombia602 said:
My best has been 719 on a single tank and thats calculated. 95% highway driving around 63mph
NEW 700 Mile Club Record Holder

MarkShort1958

TDI
Quick Storm said:
To answer your specific question - my fuel light came on and I drove about 20 miles after that pioint before filling up just now - took 13.386 gallons - but the last 0.2 gallons or so was topping it off ($2.77 price was good for NYC metro). I still had another 30 miles left according to my dash indicator (low because of the poor mileage short trips).

I was aiming for a 700 mile tank but alot of short trips and alternate side-of-street parking changes for 2 weeks ended that hope. Its a shame to have to waste my diesel just to change my parking to the other side of the street bvut its still cheaper than the ticket if I didn't I guess.

Quick Storm

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Thanks, I recently just filled up my car after the fuel light came on, had about 40miles left on tank according to the MFD. Just out of curiousity I kept fueling the tank and the filler neck until, it came above the filler neck level. I t was 14.03gallons, so now I figure I will put in 13.8 gallons whenever I fill up.

Viperguy

TDI
Jetta
Mileage is fair

I have an 09 Jetta TDI and drive mostly in the city. I'm not complaining but the best average MPG is around 30. Right in line with the EPA estimate. BTW the car has about 2,000 miles on it.

Blackstallion

Veteran Member
Fighting the GWOT- while so many drive SUVs
TDI
aka: DieselHybrid
800 miles/tank should be achievable

My '09 manual just reached 699.1 miles on my last tank (w/ 75% hwy driving). According to the MFD I achieved 55mpg on a couple highway runs. (57mpg on one 80 mile stretch)

I was too chicken to push it further- as I was in a lot of city traffic at the end. The MFD said I had 5 miles left before empty. Fill-up required 14.35 gallons- whew! That was close!

Anybody run an '09 or newer out of fuel yet?

I am certain that 800 miles/tank is reachable with an '09 so long as you avoid traffic and keep a reasonable steady highway driving pace.

Last edited:

NickJ85

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan (Manual)
740GLE said:
I got 46.5 MPG calculated doing 560 miles on a tank I still had 100 miles left acording to the MFD, gas light wasn't on either. I wasn't driving for economy either, 75-80 most of the time. Hard not to stay in the left lane. MFD commonly displays trip avg of 50MPG but we all know how true it is.
How is this possible. If I am going 80 mph the MFD says 38. Do you have any mods? or advice?

2009 Jetta TDI 19,500 miles tire pressure 41

stuckless

TDI
2009 Jetta black automatic
88BlackZ-51 said:
The older generation is better on fuel! I am totally convinced. I would get around 630 miles on a tank in my 04, and I am not even close to getting that in my 09.

In saying that, the 09 is a better car all together, but I wish it was a tad bit better on fuel.
You are so right buddy. With the 04,05,and 06 it's seems like you never had to baby the car. I regret every day of trading my 06 TDI to get the new 09. The only way I can get 44-47 mpg is to drive 58 mph.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Last April I filled up and had 570 miles on the odometer and took 13 gallons at fill up. I had more than a gallon left in the tank as i have been able to get over 14 in on fill ups in the past. the tank avg was less the 44 and my best avg was almost 46 so going over 600 should happen for me this spring if i ever get back to driving for mileage.:eek: I find myself less and less patient with my go pedal and more and more caught up in driving it for fun.

MarkShort1958

TDI
I had an 'aha' moment with this tank (705 miles using 13.3 gallons = 52.9 mpg). The previous tank I was getting 5 - 8% poorer mileage than I used to on similar trips. I theorized it was due to the cooler weather/winter blend. BUT I discovered that it was really the LACK of highway congestion (counterintuitive!). On my poorer-perforiming tank I was driving really late at night and early in the morning with essentially NO slow-downs on the highways. On contrast, my just-filled tank was more typical of metro NYC traffic when I 'pulsed and glided' whenever I saw traffic slowdowns ahead.

Turns out that I have been using pulse and glide as an important contributor to my relatively high mileage for an '09. Cool discovery for me, and I may end up doing some more "pulse and glide" when appropriate (e.g. - no traffic behind me, on flat terrain or down hills) even when I don't see congestion ahead.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Nice that you guys are getting close to 50mpgs, and thumbs up for a nice 09-2010 TDI cars, too bad that these cars are far from getting the good mileage like the older TDI's, hopefully when they are broken in they get close to the MPGs than the older version, I thought about buying 2010 golf but I am going to have to wait it out, as of now I am driving my old ALH with 210 HP I could easily get to 750-800 miles per tank, of course if I drive it at 70-75mph on the Hwy. GO TDI's

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
MAXRPM said:
Nice that you guys are getting close to 50mpgs, and thumbs up for a nice 09-2010 TDI cars, too bad that these cars are far from getting the good mileage like the older TDI's, hopefully when they are broken in they get close to the MPGs than the older version, I thought about buying 2010 golf but I am going to have to wait it out, as of now I am driving my old ALH with 210 HP I could easily get to 750-800 miles per tank, of course if I drive it at 70-75mph on the Hwy. GO TDI's
I seriously do not know if you are truly happy for us or trying to rub something in our faces. Anyway you win.;):)

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
coolbreeze said:
I seriously do not know if you are truly happy for us or trying to rub something in our faces. Anyway you win.;):)
Never talk bad about any TDI, I love them all, down the line I may even get me a 2010 golf.

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I get 43 mpg keeping the cruise on 70 between Houston & Dallas, which is within the posted speed limit. I only see <40 economy in traffic.

bgarfield

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
New record?

758 miles from the tank... 49.993mpg
4 separate highway trips, cruise control set at 65mph most of the time.
Just turned 18,000 miles.

Brian

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
bgarfield said:

Brian
Wow, 15.16 gallons to fill-up. That's cutting it too close for me. Congratulations.

My best mpg on a tank was 49.62 with cruise set at 68 mph except through / around two larger cities (55 / 60 mph) and a few construction zones (45 / 50 mph). But my bladder probably wouldn't have let me continue much further after nearly 9 hours of driving to break into the 700 mile club. So, I stopped at about the 600 mile mark and decided to fill-up at the same time. IIRC, miles to empty was still around 150ish which would have put me near the 750 mile mark if I had the guts to push the capacity of the fuel tank.

flatout

TDI
2009 JETTA
bgarfield said:

Brian
Yes it is a NEW RECORD for the 09 TDI. Congratulations! Details please, sedan or wagon, manual or DSG? Did you really fit 15.16 gallons in there? If so, then is that the most you have pumped?

bgarfield

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Yep, all numbers are correct. Honestly, would have been better mpg with an earlier fill up except that apparently "Baltimore Travel Plaza" doesn't mean to me what it does to them. There was NO car fuel, diesel or gas at this TRUCK plaza, so I had to circle back around, get back on I95 and then begin a search as I was pretty darn low.

Sedan, 6spd, most I have gotten in the tank, but have several with 15.1's. I think if I had the need for a non-stop trip, I would most certainly get near 800 miles.

What are people using to find diesel stations, if anything?? I have "Gas Buddy" on my iPhone, it's a POS for sure and does nothing but aggravate me.

Thanks folks!
Brian