80 percent kit from Peloquin

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
80%?? what? Where do you get the other 20%? :)

I have the Peloquin diff in my 02M 6 speed box and it is awesome!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Bob_Fout said:
I was hoping there was a technical reason:p
Well, technically speaking, it's a helluva lot cheaper to install a $100 80% kit than it would be to install a $6-800 LSD. Is that the sort of answer you needed? :p :D

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Ed's TDI said:
Well, technically speaking, it's a helluva lot cheaper to install a $100 80% kit than it would be to install a $6-800 LSD. Is that the sort of answer you needed? :p :D
Very close;)

If it provides *almost* the same benefits of a full LSD for a fraction of the cost, that would be a technical answer:D

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
As I understand it, this kit is only for the 020 transmission. Later 02A, etc. will not work.

It's good for straight-line racing, but it accelerates tire scrub during turns and associated treadwear, and shouldn't be considered as a full alternative to an ATB diff.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I would like SOMEONE to just for once state "80%" of WHAT???? Does anyone honestly believe that a little spring pressure on the tiny backside of a drive flange will transmit 80% of what goes through a final drive (which in our case could be around 3,000 lb/ft)????? Try 8% to be closer to reality.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Copied from the link above from a post by none other than Gary Peloquin himself (so I will assume absolute accuracy):

"This upgrade isn't something new, either. Peloquin's came out with a Stage I version with about 25 pounds of breakaway torque some five years ago, after a solid year of development and Peloquin's-style testing - which is to say severe testing. In February of 1996, Peloquin introduced the Stage II 80% Diff Upgrade with about 85 pounds of breakaway torque, obtained by further modifications to the brass washers and more preload.
The 80% is obtained by the aluminum puck seals being bolted to the differential, and doubles the pressure on the brass shims."

So, there you are (there I am?). 85 lbs - which I assume to be 85 lb/ft, but MIGHT be 85 lb. @ the radius of the tire. Might contribute to a bare tire on black ice, but can't imagine it making any significant difference on pavement or with studs on ice. Even a gutless gasser will have 100 lb/ft at the flywheel, which will be 1,250 lb/ft at the wheel. That makes it 6.8% of the required breakaway torque to transfer drive from a fully unloaded wheel to the one on dry ground.

Don't get me wrong. I am glad the product is there. I just don't appreciate vendors blowing smoke and the rest of the bobble-heads in distribution nodding approval.

I am so proud of myself. I got throught the whole process without mentioning K&N air filters or any oil additive company at all.......DOH!

Last edited: