CCV Mod

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-25900?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-moroso&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvrfSBRC2ARIsAFumcm-7nuC-2uILeZQcthx4iuhw2ayz6LYyu8c1cjBjMedEVonWwOpX698aAsMiEALw_wcB

Delete the entire catch can and just use this. Been running this for a few thousand miles. works great and have not noticed any oil loss. I made my own custom plate with a tapped fitting for 3/4" NPT threads and make a T fitting from the lower vent into the upper. Then i changed that by useing a AN fitting that comes up and welded a bung into the valve cover so i could run this kit with out any puck adapter. Delete the turbo inlet and put this injector about 6" away from the turbo outlet so that it burns up and makes less oil smell. This close to the turbo will also burn off any build up.

jonnywater

TDI
Jetta
That looks great. Do you mean delete the catch can and the CCV completely or is this the substitute for the catch can? I guess for me, I was just hoping to add another catch can but I will surely consider you option. Thanks.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
You can keep the catch can if you want and i would suggest that you do as it will help with less smoke but its not necessary. I have mine strait into the exhaust with no puck or catch can. It does smoke a bit until the exhaust is hot so a catch can will prevent most of that. Yes delete the CCV going into the turbo inlet.

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
That's a scavenger system that must be installed on the exhaust down stream where there is no back-pressure.

I installed one (E vac Scavanger) on my ALH engine in the Vanagon. I initially installed it pre-CAT and it would not "pull" vacuum. In fact, there was back-pressure. So, I relocated it post-CAT but before a straight through glass-pack. The CCV vapor does not go through a catch-can nor is there any smoke that I am aware of.

Here are a few pics. (Remember, this is in my Vanagon, engine in the rear.)

Below, you can see the stainless steel braided hose coming off the CCV puck ..

Below, around the end of the engine...

Below, you can see the E-vac pipe between the CAT and Glass-pack on a 45 degree angle which is by design/function.

Below, is a shot looking up the exhaust system...

It is actually designed for the 45 angle cut to be pointing down because it has a cut on the back side that allows exhaust to enter creating a vacuum on the hose. However, that little hole will become clogged with soot and oil. So, rotating the 45 degree cut pipe as I did, eliminates clogging and works just fine as well (over 80k miles with no problems).

This link provides a close-up of how the pipe is cut... https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-11189-E-VAC-Scavenger-Kit/dp/B002USFCV2

EDIT: I remove the pipe (very easy to do) every other oil change to make sure it is clean and functioning properly.

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My bad, My system is a full 3" from the turbo back with no cat or muffler. so i have no issue with back pressure. I put it 24" down pipe form the turbo and when it was cold and when driving normally i had issues with oil smoke and build up, i think it was because of the gt2052wg im using and 3" pipe so i put it 6" down from the turbo and it burns everything up and next to no smoke or oil smell at all once warm. Yea on a stock exhaust you want that thing downstream after any restrictions like CAT's. its still a great system.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Yep, since those photos and initial install, I upgraded my exhaust system from the Turbo out with SS. Beginning at the Turbo, with each transition (joint) to the next, the ID is larger. However, mine is only a little over 2" at the end. But, it is a big improvement of the cobbled up mess I originally put together.

Yes, I like the e-vac system. No odor, no smoke, no mess, etc.

Here is a pic of the new SS down pipe going into a straight through resonator. The objective here was to design the system to withstand the vibes of the engine and be functional in a Vanagon (notice the spring loaded joint).

Mach.81

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI CBEA
Nice set-up...

Just wondering how close to weld-in the fittings and still be safe?
6” away from the turbo seems a little close.. I like the fact of burning off the oil with little smell and or smoke. Don’t want to cook the breaded line.

Great performance mod!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
high temp EN line from Earl's, not an issue, i just measured it, its more like 9" going around the bend on the outside

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Nice set-up...

Just wondering how close to weld-in the fittings and still be safe?
6” away from the turbo seems a little close.. I like the fact of burning off the oil with little smell and or smoke. Don’t want to cook the breaded line.

Great performance mod!

As I stated previously, the E-vac Scavenger (brand name) system will not work up-stream of a conventional muffler or the CAT or both. There will be back pressure. When I first built mine, I did weld-in the set-up pre-Cat. It did not work.

My set-up is in an 84 Vanagon, thus there is plenty of room to install the piping and keep it neat. I have not had any problem with heat damage to any component. E-vac supplies a braided cloth hose with their set-up. I like the SS braided hose much better, mainly due to appearance.

Considering there is oil in the vapor that comes from the crankcase, it is advisable to remove the E-vac components (not the hose) about every 10k miles to clean. I can remove mine and have it ready for the pressure washer in about 5 minutes.:D I do not tighten the health out of the fittings, not necessary!:)

Although I purchased from or through an E-vac website, here is a link to the kit at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-11189-E-VAC-Scavenger-Kit/dp/B002USFCV2