Help Me Help Me, Please

Cheap guy

TDI
2003 VW 1.9 tdi
Hello, How is everyone? This group was boasted about to me by a friend, so I'm new here. You can call me poorbadluckbuck.

So after a bad back injury I find myself on odsp not by choice. Which means I have no money. I only need a vehicle so I can get my daughter who's an hour away for our visits. I've gone through a truck, my Audi, and a VW over the last eight years s of driving both ways.

I know .. wa wa. Such is life. My point being is I managed to get a car after my 2000 VW finally dies at 600 000km. 850 km per tank of fuel.

My new car. 2003 VW wagon TDI.
Got a deal... Ya ya, turns out it needed a new engine. Ha ha, jokes on me. ... So I did an engine swap.... Yes I owe people money. ....

When I swapped the 1.9 TDI out I took the EGR delete pipe and over sized air filter off my old 1.9 and put on my new one. While doing all this work. It seemed a good idea to delete the EGR cooler as well. Don't need it, take it off. Right?..... Then I deleted the codes with a scanner.

Here's my problem. I can't keep it out of limp mode. The fuel economy is killing me. 700 instead of 950 plus...
I've since changed the fuel filter, as a code said infificient fuel.... That code is gone.....

It seems to fall into limp mode as soon as the car starts to heat up....

New car, new moter, I don't know what sensors to check or where to start.... I thought maybe I screwed up the vacuum lines, but they checked ok..

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank You

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Even with the EGR delete, you should get the same fuel econ.

My guess is that you have a boost issue causing the limp mode and poor fuel econ.

Do you have VCDS or just a generic OBDII scanner?

Do you have any codes set for boost deviation?

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What Windex said, you have other issues and its not the EGR causing limp mode. EGR can affect mpg as it needs to see it but that won't cause a drastic drop.