AC and front radiator cooling fans not working

chdeason

TDI
2011 TDI Sportwagen
2011 TDI Sportwagen. Relatively new compressor (about a year) but not cooling, but blower works. The fans in front for cooling radiator don't work either. Seems like a fan control module problem from what I read about earlier models but can't find anything on this version of the car. FCM was below the battery on earlier models. Anyone have any insight or experience with this? Thanks.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Avail yourself of that car's OBD. It works. You may have dead fans. You may have a bad pressure sensor. All of this, and much, much more, can be accessed via that wonderful DLC. :)

The control module is integral with the left cooling fan, fwiw.

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
Avail yourself of that car's OBD. It works. You may have dead fans. You may have a bad pressure sensor. All of this, and much, much more, can be accessed via that wonderful DLC. :)

The control module is integral with the left cooling fan, fwiw.
Will the fan control module being bad still allow the the fans to work when the car regens? My a/c only blows cold on the highway then dies at slow speeds. RCV, expansion valve were just replaced and recharged. My fans don't come on when I turn the a/c on.

oilhammer

TDI
Scan tool ---> DLC ---> Climate ----> Measuring Blocks ---> refrigerant pressure. Not enough pressure means the fans won't come on.

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
Scan tool ---> DLC ---> Climate ----> Measuring Blocks ---> refrigerant pressure. Not enough pressure means the fans won't come on.
Forgot to mention that the shop hooked it up and said all the compressor values/pressures are in spec.. He didn't have the wiring schematics for the fan so he didn't want to mess with it. Just wondered if there was some type of switch/control that would prevent the fans from coming on since the pressures were correct.

oilhammer

TDI
There is the refrigerant pressure sensor. That's it. G65. Three wires. 12v, ground, and signal back to the Climate module. The Climate then tells the Fan module how fast to run. You can see this data with a scan tool. It is pretty simple.

Last edited:

blackcloud08

TDI
2011 JSW
There is the refrigerant pressure sensor. That's it. G65. Three wires. 12v, ground, and signal back to the Climate module. The Climate then tells the Fan module how fast to run. You can see this data with a scan tool. It is pretty simple.
Picked the car up tonight and the guy went ahead and changed the refrigerant pressure sensor and the fans now come on with all 4 settings. Air is much cooler but I'm going to buy the vcds so I can check everything. Is Ross-Tech the best place to get it from? If we have a forum vendor that sells them I didn't see them.

Last edited: