Touareg '16TDI TPMS

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Hello everyone, my original set of tires are going to be replaced soon. as new ones will be installed , should make sense to change the battery for the TPMS?
(if possible of course) - if not what is the best option to buy them at a cheaper price than dealer offers?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The sensors will usually show battery condition in the scan data, however some do not show percentages or months remaining, but just "OK" or "not OK".

I think those are Huf brand sensors, and they do show months remaining. So you can check that.

The VAG number I have is 5Q0-907-275-B and the Huf number is RDE-017V21 and I have another number of 36-10-6-874-830.

You may look around online, but usually these can be found for under $80 each, not sure what the dealers get for them.

There are other brands, too, that may work. They should be 433 MHz but you'd need to verify that. Schrader, Alligator, Siemens/VDO, Bosch, and Denso all make TPMS sensors.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
do you have a TMPS reset button anywhere in vehicle? I do a lookup on Treg and it dont list any sensors after 2014..

Most VAG's switched to ABS based tire monitoring by 2016 Model Year, there are no batteries or wheel sensors involved.. measures tire OD via ABS sensor and will have a TMPS reset button for fitting new wheels and making it re-calculate the OD.

Last edited:

casioqv

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
Most VAG's switched to ABS based tire monitoring by 2016 Model Year, there are no batteries or wheel sensors involved.. measures tire OD via ABS sensor and will have a TMPS reset button for fitting new wheels and making it re-calculate the OD.

Wow, that's a great idea, but so simple... it's crazy they haven't been doing that since the first ABS cars in the 80s.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
accuracy and computing power, measuring a wheel size precisely by its spin rate to detect a flat pretty quickly would require very high precision I suspect.

The downside is if you have a slow leak it wont notify you a tire is flat before you get moving.. last time I triggered it by changing out wheels it took a block or two before it thought something was wrong w/my tires.

My 2010 CC has in wheel "active" TPMS, my 2013 Golf and my 2014 Q7 both had abs based "passive" TPMS.. there's no hard set year but it seems ~2012-2014 most models started moving over from active to passive..

The only ones with Active anymore are the RS cars I think, they want actual pressure reporting for high speed racing.

Last edited:

Tom_B

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Touareg, 14 A6
do you have a TMPS reset button anywhere in vehicle? I do a lookup on Treg and it dont list any sensors after 2014..
Our '15 Treg definitely has pressure sensors, don't know about 2016. Pretty easy to tell by looking for the tire pressure screen which provides a pressure reading for each tire. If found, it's using pressure sensors and not the ABS system. Our A6 has the ABS system, have to go old school and use a pressure gage.

radunegru

TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Thanks all for answer, is the one with battery, first is visible because of the screw-down valve , second , it display the actual pressure, you can have that with ABS sensor.

The questions are :
is battery replaceable ?
What is the expected life ? ( car is 2016 )

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The battery is made into the sensor.

As I already stated, you may be able to access the battery "life" via scan data.

We are seeing cars needing sensors in the 2010-13 range now, I have not yet run across any 2016s that have needed replacements yet.

One of my long time customers has a 2005 Audi A8L, and just last year it got its second replacement set (so third set including the factory installed ones) that were also Huf branded.

So you should still have some time. Given the fast pace that T'regs go through tires typically, you'll likely have an opportunity to renew the sensors again before they start to die if you want to do it proactively.