SOLD! 1999 Jetta TDI, ONLY 81,039 miles, Original Owner, Black sedan, Cincinnati

1999JettaTDI

TDI
1999 Jetta GLS TDI
I did some research about engine codes and found this article informative:

https://www.drivingline.com/articles/the-ultimate-commuter-995-03-vw-jetta-tdi/

Some quotes from the article:

"The fact that the highly sought after ALH code 1.9L turbodiesel engines utilizes a rotary style injection pump and is known to last well beyond 300,000 miles, make them a standout on the reliability front."

"From a fuel efficiency standpoint, these cars get 45 to 50 mpg (highway) in bone-stock trim when equipped with a manual transmission."

"Due to high demand and dwindling supply of the ’99.5-’03 Volkswagen Jetta TDI, at this point these cars are nearly collector items."

"The 1.9L turbodiesel (ALH code) engine is as simple as it gets. It’s a timing belt driven, single-overhead cam, 8-valve inline-four that’s mounted sideways under the hood. Being a modern diesel, the injection system is pretty simple, too."

"For those in the know (and for newbies, just the same), a manual transmission is the only way to roll with a ’99.5-’03 ALH Jetta."

"According to nearly everyone we spoke with, it’s not uncommon to find 400,000+ miles on the odometers of these cars."

I knew I have something very special in my 1999 Jetta TDI! The exceptionally low mileage (less than 82K) is the standout feature, along with everything mentioned above.

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
1,000,000 miles is my goal with my ALH without messing with the internals if possible. GLWS

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006

1999JettaTDI

TDI
1999 Jetta GLS TDI
Why hasn't this car sold?
Great question. I only posted my Jetta for sale here on the TDI Club -- nothing like eBay, Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc. because I am looking for a specific type of buyer -- one who truly understands and appreciates the car. I have had a number of interested people who wanted the car for heavy daily commuting, which I can understand given the amazing fuel efficiency. But my ideal buyer is someone who of course will drive it regularly, but is primarily interested in maintaining its integrity, both mechanical and physical. Those two type of people aren't mutually exclusive, but I haven't met that person yet. The ideal buyer either has the skill and time to work on the car themselves or has a trusted TDI mechanic nearby. These criteria are why it is still for sale! You can tell I am in no rush to sell it and that the car means a lot to me. I know the right buyer is out there. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm about as big an MKIV/ALH fan as anyone can find, but these are not collector cars. And this one needs some love, both mechanical and especially cosmetic. It is a car that should be driven mega miles. That's what they're good for. I might have been interested, but '99.5 isn't my favorite year ALH because of their quirks, and the beige interior is a no go, at least for me. But I'm sure you'll find a buyer, even if it ultimately means compromising a bit.

1999JettaTDI

TDI
1999 Jetta GLS TDI
I'm about as big an MKIV/ALH fan as anyone can find, but these are not collector cars. And this one needs some love, both mechanical and especially cosmetic. It is a car that should be driven mega miles. That's what they're good for. I might have been interested, but '99.5 isn't my favorite year ALH because of their quirks, and the beige interior is a no go, at least for me. But I'm sure you'll find a buyer, even if it ultimately means compromising a bit.
Absolutely I agree that it should be driven mega miles. I just know that in order for it to do the heavy driving, it needs the love, as you mentioned. So I'm looking for that person who will see the value in both fuel efficiency and regular upkeep and maintenance. Thanks for your input!

valvecrusher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat, '00 Jetta
There is zero negativity in my perspective, only beauty and love.

Like Mjolnir, the answer is...